* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: The Greens
PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 11:22 am 
Almost an Islander

That isn't the case.
We do rely on the federal government for roughly 50% of our revenue but very little of that comes with specific stipulations.

Even proprietary funding like the Atlantic gateway fund has a very broad definition of use. The liberals tried to fool people into thinking that Plan B was the only option for the money but it could have been used for dozens of different projects.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 6:37 pm 

Gardiner wrote:
Party policies, written clearly or not, are nothing more than words to describe the initial direction of each party and we all know that the Liberals don't promote liberalism and nor do Conservatives promote conservation and we seldom vote for them based on their supposed Policies.

That is certainly the case in PEI. This is quite evident with the current Liberal Government and the fiscal policies of Wes Sheridan. I don't think PEI has ever had a Finance Minister who has be more Conservative. At the same time, Olive Crane was quite Liberal in her political views.

I would give both the Liberals and Conservatives a little more lee way regarding having a platform or policies on their site at the moment as I believe they should be directed by the leader. As one has a leader that has stepped down, and the other with a leader who has stated he is Interim only, it would not provide good optics to have them setting policies and platforms at present. Once they have leaders in place though, they should have platforms and direction on their website quickly, or receive harsh criticism for it. One of the other parties would be wise to latch onto it as an example of non-transparency and avoiding accountability.

The NDP has no excuse not to have more on their website and should have a platform there. And the Green Party, whether you support their direction or not, deserves to be commended for putting the info out there. If the 3rd + parties want people to change the traditional voting lines, they have to convince people that it is the right thing to do.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 7:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

New Guy wrote:
If the 3rd + parties want people to change the traditional voting lines, they have to convince people that it is the right thing to do.

Not sure why 2+ Billion dollars of debt, pathetic social services, low education scores, patronage, HST, Plan B, Borden Hills, Polar Foods, ABP, Testori, OCI, worst access to information in the country, PNP etc. etc. etc. wouldn't be reason enough for people to figure out that it's the right thing to do, to stop allowing the 2 parties that got us into this mess to continue on.

But that's the Island way. Fear change.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 9:13 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Blake McKinley wrote:

In this case, it is more a fear of the unknown. That is why it is so important for the NDP to get off their @sses and put together a coherent and appealing statement of policy and/or platform in the most readily accessible medium of 2014. Most people are going to vote for one of the devils they know, not a devil they know little or nothing about.

And they really have to start discouraging young idealistic party faithful from going onto local social media with condescending insults about "all Islanders" and disparaging remarks about "the Island way" ... why, it almost makes the NDP sound like elitists :shock:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 9:31 pm 
Almost an Islander

It is a fair generalization.
Canned Pop. Roundabouts. Sunday Shopping.
All simple conveniences that were vehemently opposed by Islanders.

Fear of the unknown is no different than fear of change.
Voting for the devil you know is not an excuse.

Perhaps you shouldn't generalize so much when you say "people" will vote that way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 9:43 pm 
True Islander

I believe that is checkmate.Time for round two. :lol:

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 10:03 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Blake McKinley wrote:

Really?

Vehemently?

Not by just some Islanders?

Wow!

I must have been on vacation :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 10:20 pm 
True Islander

I'm not surprised the NDP doesn't have their policy laid out on their website. Most parties don't promote their policies until the middle of the election. Redmond has touched on some issues of importance and once an election date is official, I'm sure we'll start hearing more. But I don't think there are many people right now searching for policies of each of the parties.

As for the Greens, they realize they aren't going to form the next government and they'd sound foolish if that's what they were saying. As others have noted, they should focus on a few ridings and hopefully they can pull an upset or two. They don't have the resources of other parties so can't compete financially. But it's nice to see a party building from the grassroots.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 10:39 pm 
Almost an Islander

kreskin wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:

Really?

Vehemently?

Not by just some Islanders?

Wow!

I must have been on vacation :lol:

I guess you must have been.
Then again, I said it's the Island way which it is.
I didn't say all Islanders.
Presumably you didn't mean ALL people when you said people vote a certain way.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 8th, 2014, 11:23 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
It is a fair generalization.

Fear of the unknown is no different than fear of change.
Voting for the devil you know is not an excuse.

Perhaps you shouldn't generalize so much when you say "people" will vote that way.

I know 90% or more of the islanders I know wanted both canned pop and Sunday shopping years before we actually got it. If anything they vehemently supported these ideas. Roundabouts......not so much.

Personally I don't thing it is either fear of the unknown or of change that keeps islanders from voting something different. It is a general apathy. The vast majority of people pay zero attention to what their government is doing in between elections. They might make the odd gripe, but they don't even pay attention to the decisions that positive effect them either. And it is not just localized to islanders. You see it right across the country. And when the status quo is either the Liberals or the Conservatives, it is up to the other parties to make people care enough to go out on a limb or take that perceived risk. That is why if the NDP or the Green party want to make some sort of break through, they are going to need to work 10X as hard, and prepare 10X as much. Putting a platform on a website may seem like a little thing that not many will pay attention to, but unlike the Liberals and the Conservatives, these are the little things that the NDP and the Greens can't afford to miss.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 12:43 am 
True Islander

The only reason people didn't want roundabouts here is because no one thought Islanders were smart enough to drive around em!

I've always (http://john.morriscode.ca/blog/176/Lets ... s-Problems) supported roundabouts.

And for the most part Islanders are getting along fine with em.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 8:27 am 

jmweb wrote:
The only reason people didn't want roundabouts here is because no one thought Islanders were smart enough to drive around em!

I've always (http://john.morriscode.ca/blog/176/Lets ... s-Problems) supported roundabouts.

And for the most part Islanders are getting along fine with em.

Much like canned pop and Sunday shopping(and I could also include abortion services), it's not "people" who didn't want it, but the Government in power at the time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 6:39 pm 
Almost an Islander

It wasn't Islanders that were against canned pop. That was foisted upon us with some partisan bafflegab. Islanders may have been wise enough to be against roundabouts because they knew they weren't wise enough to learn how to use them, and if so, they were right. They're only an attempt to fix bad driving and that failed spectacularly. So far, as predicted by naysayers, there is only a disadvantage to Sunday shopping. The retail workforce is worn out, underpaid and can't get the work done on Sundays that can only be done when closed. It hasn't grown the economy but has put downward pressure on wages because stores pay out seven days of wages for six days of business spread over an extra day. Same business sales, extra wage payout.

Of course you won't see legislators sitting on Sunday. Too busy shopping I guess.

We definitely took a large backward step over a cliff.

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 7:02 pm 
Almost an Islander

None of what you just said has any validity Justin.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 7:05 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Justin O'Brien wrote:
We definitely took a large backward step over a cliff.

Well, at least we have some good company at the bottom of that cliff ... as in most of the rest of North America.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 19th, 2014, 1:17 pm 
True Islander

kreskin wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:

In this case, it is more a fear of the unknown. That is why it is so important for the NDP to get off their @sses and put together a coherent and appealing statement of policy and/or platform in the most readily accessible medium of 2014. Most people are going to vote for one of the devils they know, not a devil they know little or nothing about.

And they really have to start discouraging young idealistic party faithful from going onto local social media with condescending insults about "all Islanders" and disparaging remarks about "the Island way" ... why, it almost makes the NDP sound like elitists :shock:

What does it matter what statement they make or policy they present, they will do the exact same as their counterparts.

Every election we side on this or that side of the political fence. It's no different than supporting this or that sports team or your favorite actor. They are all cut from the same cloth, even they don't know what they stand for usually reading some speech that they themselves didn't even write and likely don't even understand. The liberal leader doesn't even have the conviction to try and sort the deficit mess out choosing to resign instead, though not for the actual reasons he should be resigning for.
The country is f**ked why not the province as well seems to be the mind set.