Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Wade A Shoo In For New Lib Leader?
PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 8:59 pm 
True Islander

craiger wrote:
New Guy wrote:
If you are going to fill the roster with 19 year old idealistic hippies with no life experience, let alone work experience, no one will take you serious. It doesn't even matter how smart or driven that 19 year old may be.

It's pretty sad if people actually think that way. I'll take the energy and vitality of youth over the status quo of middle age.

This is why we send young to war instead of middle age people.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 9:12 pm 

The NDP will not win any seats. They are polling at 15%. Mike Redmond will finish 3rd running against Richard Brown. His comments about Wade may hurt him in the short term. On CBC radio, Redmond said he was going to run candidates in every riding which would be a mistake. They let anyone run for them which hurts them as well. Do they have riding associations? They should focus their efforts on a few districts.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 9:41 pm 
Almost an Islander

Dr. Pepper wrote:
The NDP will not win any seats. They are polling at 15%. Mike Redmond will finish 3rd running against Richard Brown. His comments about Wade may hurt him in the short term. On CBC radio, Redmond said he was going to run candidates in every riding which would be a mistake. They let anyone run for them which hurts them as well. Do they have riding associations? They should focus their efforts on a few districts.

There are 27 seats.
Who is going to win each of those?
You must know since you can state so confidently that the NDP will not win any of them.
Do you really think a 15% poll is relevant to them winning seats?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 10:46 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
Dr. Pepper wrote:

There are 27 seats.
Who is going to win each of those?
You must know since you can state so confidently that the NDP will not win any of them.
Do you really think a 15% poll is relevant to them winning seats?

Well, Jamie Larkin is looking for the NDP nod to run against Doug Currie. Might as well let him. Doug is winning that seat regardless of who runs. Might have been one of the few guys who could have given Wade a serious challenge for the leadership.

If the NDP were to focus efforts on more attainable seats, which ones would you recommend?

PostPosted: December 9th, 2014, 11:23 pm 
Almost an Islander

Are you suggesting that no other party should run a candidate against Curry because he is going to win anyway?
Given Currie's portfolio I don't think he is an automatic seat for the liberals.
Jamie is a very solid candidate. He may not win but I don't think it's time to concede the seat quite yet.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 10th, 2014, 8:02 am 

Blake McKinley wrote:
Are you suggesting that no other party should run a candidate against Curry because he is going to win anyway?
Given Currie's portfolio I don't think he is an automatic seat for the liberals.
Jamie is a very solid candidate. He may not win but I don't think it's time to concede the seat quite yet.

Personally I don't even feel Currie did that good of a job with health. From most of what I have heard, Health is falling apart, not just with what you hear on the news, but behind the scenes. Poorly run. But that being said, Currie is very popular. Most think he is a great politician and is doing as good a job as currently can be done. Add to that most people feel they know him because they have spoke to him in a rink or elsewhere before he even got into politics. I am not saying that the other parties shouldn't run candidates against him, just don't expect to win. Truth is though, as has been shown in the past, all it takes on PEI is for the appearance of a government change, and so many people jump ship that almost no one is safe.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 11:23 am 

I think it's pretty well a foregone conclusion that Wade will be the next Liberal leader and IMO tactical mistake on the part of the Liberal association. I think the public will only see him as another deeply connected Liberal with ideas and plans that will be on par with the average Joe blow voter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 11:34 am 
From Away

Gardiner wrote:
kreskin wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
[...] expected something in return.

If they are the type of politicians who "expect something in return", perhaps we are better off without them being in that kind of position of power.

I'd be willing to bet that most politicians are of that type!

I'd be willing to bet that most people are of that type.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 11:48 am 
From Away

Serious question from somebody who has not lived on the island long enough to know where all the bodies are buried. :)

Which of the three PC candidates makes them the most competitive in a general election with a Wade McLaughlin led Liberal Party. If you could also explain why you think that it would be appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 9:39 pm 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
I think it's pretty well a foregone conclusion that Wade will be the next Liberal leader and IMO tactical mistake on the part of the Liberal association. I think the public will only see him as another deeply connected Liberal with ideas and plans that will be on par with the average Joe blow voter.

I don't see what the difference would be if some current minister decided to run against MacLauchlan. I really don't think we are going to hear huge differences in policy ideas from the 3 PC candidates. It will be interesting to see how they differentiate themselves from each other.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 9:46 am 

craiger wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

I don't see what the difference would be if some current minister decided to run against MacLauchlan. I really don't think we are going to hear huge differences in policy ideas from the 3 PC candidates. It will be interesting to see how they differentiate themselves from each other.

The difference is providing a fair opportunity for anyone who would have preferred to run and it has become common knowledge that Wade only agreed to run if no other current minister ran against him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 27th, 2014, 7:20 pm 
True Islander

There was/is nothing to prevent anyone else from also running. Would Wade drop out if Doug Currie or someone of that caliber did run? Of course he wouldn't.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 9:43 am 

craiger wrote:
There was/is nothing to prevent anyone else from also running. Would Wade drop out if Doug Currie or someone of that caliber did run? Of course he wouldn't.

Party pressure and loss of status within the party is something.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 10:52 am 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
craiger wrote:

Party pressure and loss of status within the party is something.

I do agree.
Look at how many MLA's were at Wade's announcement ,only three were not there.This led us to believe that the missing ones might be thinking of running for the same position.Even the media was posting this also.
It did not take the missing three long to announce that they have changed their mind or were never planning on running.
So this leads me to believe that they could not afford to run,either financially and/or political.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 11:41 am 
True Islander

LostSole wrote:
I do agree.
Look at how many MLA's were at Wade's announcement ,only three were not there.This led us to believe that the missing ones might be thinking of running for the same position.Even the media was posting this also.
It did not take the missing three long to announce that they have changed their mind or were never planning on running.
So this leads me to believe that they could not afford to run,either financially and/or political.

The media quickly realized that Carolyn Bertram wasn't there because she was speaker of the house and is supposed to be seen as neutral. Valerie Docherty wasn't there because she is co-chairing the convention. It was only Robert Mitchell who wasn't there because he was contemplating a leadership bid, which he openly admitted.

Finances shouldn't be an issue for any sitting politician who wants to run. It's only $2,500 to run for the leadership of the Liberals compared to $10,000 for the PC's.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 9:28 pm 
True Islander

craiger wrote:
The media quickly realized that Carolyn Bertram wasn't there because she was speaker of the house and is supposed to be seen as neutral. Valerie Docherty wasn't there because she is co-chairing the convention. It was only Robert Mitchell who wasn't there because he was contemplating a leadership bid, which he openly admitted.

Finances shouldn't be an issue for any sitting politician who wants to run. It's only $2,500 to run for the leadership of the Liberals compared to $10,000 for the PC's.

So why didn't any run then? If we can believe the polls the numbers are high for the Lib's.It might have been their best shot at wearing the leader's hat.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 8:47 am 

LostSole wrote:
So why didn't any run then? If we can believe the polls the numbers are high for the Lib's.It might have been their best shot at wearing the leader's hat.

We all know that answer, but some refuse to believe it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 2:07 pm 
True Islander

LostSole wrote:
craiger wrote:

I guess many are either happy with Wade or feel they can't beat him. Or the current "backroom" felt the list of potential leadership candidates was so weak that they orchestrated Wade to run and ensure nobody else would dare put their name forward.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 4:05 pm 
True Islander

You may think that it would be a given for an MLA to win a riding.

But if the NDP put up some good candidates, this may split the Liberal vote thus taking a said MLA out of power. We've seen it before on the Federal level..

PostPosted: December 29th, 2014, 4:27 pm 

jmweb wrote:
You may think that it would be a given for an MLA to win a riding.

But if the NDP put up some good candidates, this may split the Liberal vote thus taking a said MLA out of power. We've seen it before on the Federal level..

It's usually a given if the MLA can do their job well, but with some of these current MLAs that's very questionable.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next