* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is Wade A Shoo In For New Lib Leader?
PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 8:32 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Gardiner wrote:
[...] expected something in return.

If they are the type of politicians who "expect something in return", perhaps we are better off without them being in that kind of position of power.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 8:40 am 

kreskin wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
[...] expected something in return.

If they are the type of politicians who "expect something in return", perhaps we are better off without them being in that kind of position of power.

I'd be willing to bet that most politicians are of that type!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 9:08 pm 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
jmweb wrote:
With all the sitting MLA's endorsing Wade, it certainly seems like they have all spoken. While I agree, it would have been nice to see a real party leadership race, it also could have had the opportunity of splitting the party.

So a united front might have been the best action here.

Don't kid yourself about the "endorsing"......when you force someone to do something, that's a game changer for some of these other MLA's who punched their time in and expected something in return. As Blake said so accurately:

Quote:
I'm guessing Vessey, Sheridan and Currie are feeling like the boot licking weasels they are.
They put in their time under the boy child and ate his s**t for 7 years and then they are ordered to stand down when the opportunity arises for them to advance

Considering Vessey chaired the Wade campaign, I'd say you are a bit off from the truth. Vessey also chaired the Ghiz as leader campaign.

Additionally Vessey would have challenges that Wade wouldn't. For instance, Vessey is known for his grumpy look unlike Wade who is more approachable. That being said, if Vessey did go for leader, all he'd have to do is learn how to smile and he'd win.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 10:29 pm 
Almost an Islander

What Wade campaign did Vessey chair?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 10:54 pm 
True Islander

The current one.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 11:02 pm 
Almost an Islander

All that means is that Vessey is being a good little boy and doing what he is told.
He knows he is going to get re-elected. Sucking up to the new boss guarantees him another ministerial spot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 11:17 pm 
True Islander

Blake McKinley wrote:
They were all told to stand down.
You don't think Sheridan and Vessey are not narcissistic enough to think they had a shot at the leadership until the backroom boys stepped in and slapped them down?
They were told to follow along like good little soldiers and maybe they would be allowed to retain their seats.

Of course Sheidan and Vessey are miffed that their chances were squashed.It is a wake up call to show them how important they really are and how much power the backroom has.

There needed to be a fresh face at the helm.
Now Wade can say when questioned on a past decision,i am the new premier and can not speak for the actions of the last one.
Also now the opposition (cons and ndp) have to attack the liberal members for their party actions since Ghiz will not be there.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2014, 11:31 pm 
Almost an Islander

LostSole wrote:

Also now the opposition (cons and ndp) have to attack the liberal members for their party actions since Ghiz will not be there.

Should be a pretty easy job.
If Islanders would only listen it is an easy job to paint the conservatives as failures too.
Just because some of the faces have changed the PC back room is the same as it was under Binns.
The same crew that lied and said before they lost the election that they were running a $2 million dollar surplus. Then we find out it was actually well over $40 million deficit.

The liberals are playing the same game. They keep pretending they have a balanced budget for 2015 yet they are going to call an election without having to put their budget on the line and no audit of the current state of affairs.

Meanwhile the liberals have more than doubled our debt and we are paying over $125 million tax dollars every year just to pay interest on the debt these two parties have run up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 12:09 am 
True Islander

Blake McKinley wrote:
LostSole wrote:

Should be a pretty easy job.
If Islanders would only listen it is an easy job to paint the conservatives as failures too.
Just because some of the faces have changed the PC back room is the same as it was under Binns.
The same crew that lied and said before they lost the election that they were running a $2 million dollar surplus. Then we find out it was actually well over $40 million deficit.

The liberals are playing the same game. They keep pretending they have a balanced budget for 2015 yet they are going to call an election without having to put their budget on the line and no audit of the current state of affairs.

Meanwhile the liberals have more than doubled our debt and we are paying over $125 million tax dollars every year just to pay interest on the debt these two parties have run up.

This is what Redmond should be telling the voters via the media instead of trying to make Wade look like an elitist.
This is Redmond best chance to get a foothold and gaining a few seats.Even if he went after the protest voter he might have a chance.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 1:27 am 

LostSole wrote:
This is what Redmond should be telling the voters via the media instead of trying to make Wade look like an elitist.
This is Redmond best chance to get a foothold and gaining a few seats.Even if he went after the protest voter he might have a chance.

You are right. Redmond needs to shout this from the rooftops. But if he wants to stand a real shot, he also needs to present some kind of option or plan to reduce this or at least balance a budget. It doesn't even have to be overly realistic. It can be very idealistic. But he has to show that he at least has a plan. Then come what the 3rd and 4th parties have struggled with the most on PEI. They need to field a slate of candidates that are not a complete joke. The NDP would stand a better chance electing people if they only ran candidate in half of the ridings, if those candidate could at least appear grounded and connected. If you are going to fill the roster with 19 year old idealistic hippies with no life experience, let alone work experience, no one will take you serious. It doesn't even matter how smart or driven that 19 year old may be.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 9:10 am 
True Islander

New Guy wrote:
You are right. Redmond needs to shout this from the rooftops. But if he wants to stand a real shot, he also needs to present some kind of option or plan to reduce this or at least balance a budget. It doesn't even have to be overly realistic. It can be very idealistic. But he has to show that he at least has a plan. Then come what the 3rd and 4th parties have struggled with the most on PEI. They need to field a slate of candidates that are not a complete joke. The NDP would stand a better chance electing people if they only ran candidate in half of the ridings, if those candidate could at least appear grounded and connected. If you are going to fill the roster with 19 year old idealistic hippies with no life experience, let alone work experience, no one will take you serious. It doesn't even matter how smart or driven that 19 year old may be.

Redmond lost a tonne of respect with the elitist comments. The article in The Guardian didn't help. Needs to concentrate on connecting with regular voters.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 9:27 am 

jmweb wrote:
Redmond lost a tonne of respect with the elitist comments. The article in The Guardian didn't help. Needs to concentrate on connecting with regular voters.

I disagree.....I think his comments, if anything, reconfirms what a lot of people suspected.....it's time for another part of Society to run this Province and do away with arrogance and ignorance.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 10:28 am 
Almost an Islander

jmweb wrote:

He should have held those comments. While they are true it is not appropriate for the leader of a party to take that tack in my opinion, especially given his history with Wade.
That being said, I would vote for Mike Redmond before I would ever vote for a liberal or conservative candidate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 1:00 pm 
True Islander

Blake McKinley wrote:
jmweb wrote:

He should have held those comments. While they are true it is not appropriate for the leader of a party to take that tack in my opinion, especially given his history with Wade.
That being said, I would vote for Mike Redmond before I would ever vote for a liberal or conservative candidate.

I think it might have been a smart move on his part.It puts the thought in peoples minds from the beginning.By doing this,it separates Wade from the average Islander,it puts him in a category that does not understand the average problems facing Islanders.
Now that it is said and people have had time to review it,it does not have to be said again to have a lasting effect.Since first impressions are lasting impressions.
Now all Redmond has to do is hack away at the Lib's past mistakes and connect them to Wade's beliefs or platform.
As for the Con's i do not believe Redmond see them as that much of a threat.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 1:20 pm 
Almost an Islander

It would be a big political miscalculation to not consider the conservatives a threat.
PEI is PEI. 95% of the people who voted liberal last election are either going to do it again or they will vote conservative.
History will back that up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 1:49 pm 

LostSole wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:
jmweb wrote:

I think it might have been a smart move on his part.It puts the thought in peoples minds from the beginning.By doing this,it separates Wade from the average Islander,it puts him in a category that does not understand the average problems facing Islanders.
Now that it is said and people have had time to review it,it does not have to be said again to have a lasting effect.Since first impressions are lasting impressions.
Now all Redmond has to do is hack away at the Lib's past mistakes and connect them to Wade's beliefs or platform.
As for the Con's i do not believe Redmond see them as that much of a threat.

Ditto.....it's the same reasoning behind my opinion!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 2:21 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

LostSole wrote:

One of my friends who generally doesn't give a cr@p about politics said that MacLaughlin will get his vote if he delivers on his promise to not do any mudslinging whereas Redmond has already lost his vote because he has already started with the mudslinging with his comment about MacLaughlin. His vote is going to whichever party conducts the most ethical campaign.

I think a lot of people are like my friend and are just plain fed up with the mudslinging that has been so prevalent over the last decade or two in political campaigns.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 4:46 pm 
True Islander

New Guy wrote:
If you are going to fill the roster with 19 year old idealistic hippies with no life experience, let alone work experience, no one will take you serious. It doesn't even matter how smart or driven that 19 year old may be.

It's pretty sad if people actually think that way. I'll take the energy and vitality of youth over the status quo of middle age.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 4:47 pm 
True Islander

jmweb wrote:
New Guy wrote:

Peter Bevan Baker appears to have picked up a few supporters following his recent letter to the editor. It had a much different tone than how the NDP handled MacLauchlan's leadership bid.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2014, 8:55 pm 
True Islander

kreskin wrote:
LostSole wrote:

One of my friends who generally doesn't give a cr@p about politics said that MacLaughlin will get his vote if he delivers on his promise to not do any mudslinging whereas Redmond has already lost his vote because he has already started with the mudslinging with his comment about MacLaughlin. His vote is going to whichever party conducts the most ethical campaign.

I think a lot of people are like my friend and are just plain fed up with the mudslinging that has been so prevalent over the last decade or two in political campaigns.

Most of the people who i have talked to are mostly fed up with politicians in general.By this they mostly mean that they are either there for themself or their friends.The MLA's raises is the latest that has quite a few angry.

So maybe if someone can show a bit of true honesty and believability they might get their vote.
If this was to be done,someone might be able to gather a few seats from the people who have lost faith in the system or from the protest voters.

This could be an interesting campaign leading up to the election if smart moves are made.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next