* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Is Wade A Shoo In For New Lib Leader?
PostPosted: November 27th, 2014, 9:46 pm 

Wonder what the other potential candidates will do when Wade announces his bid for the leadership. IMO it should narrow down the field considerably especially if the "good old boys" would like a quick run to the top with no dissension in the ranks.

Post subject: Re: Is Wade A Shoo In For New Lib Leader?
PostPosted: November 28th, 2014, 2:50 pm 
True Islander

Considering virtually every Liberal MLA was at Wade's leadership announcement, it certainly appears that he is the virtual lock to be leader.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2014, 3:07 pm 

This would be a nice change from the "good ole boys club" choice:

Kali Simmonds considering run at top Liberal post
Jim DayPublished on November 28, 2014Share 61 1 Comment
Send to a friend
Print
© Facebook profile photo Kali Simmonds, naturopathic doctor and businesswoman, told The Guardian she's considering running for the P.E.I. Liberal leadership.
Well-known naturopathic doctor Kali Simmonds is giving serious thought to running for the leadership of the Liberal Party of P.E.I.

Simmonds, 42, of Charlottetown told The Guardian Friday that she has been discussing with her husband Pat the prospect of tackling a time-consuming leadership campaign.

"I have been thinking about it a lot,'' she says.

"I have not made a firm decision...we (she and Pat) are very much on the fence.''

Simmonds first thought of taking a run for a seat as an MLA in the 2007 provincial election, before deciding otherwise.

Now she is eyeing the top job of Liberal leader and premier of the province.

Simmonds says the interest to run comes from a desire to be able to provide positive, strong direction on health, education and other pressing issues.

"The draw for me would definitely be (addressing) the state of our health, what is going to be happening in the future with health care,'' she says.

Former UPEI president Wade MacLauchlan's announcement Friday morning that he is seeking the job does not deter Simmonds from throwing her hat in the ring.

RELATED: Wade MacLauchlan makes bid for Liberal leadership

"I just think I have something to offer there,'' she says.

"It's just a matter of whether it is good timing.''

Simmonds has been in private practice as a licensed naturopathic doctor for 15 years.

She is the owner of two health food stores called The Root Cellar.

A mother of six, Simmonds cohosts a show on EastLink TV called Au Natural now in its seventh season of exploring a diverse range of health issues.

She also writes a monthly health column for The Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local ... ral-post/1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 28th, 2014, 3:20 pm 
True Islander

craiger wrote:
Considering virtually every Liberal MLA was at Wade's leadership announcement, it certainly appears that he is the virtual lock to be leader.

There is a rumor that he was scouted out for this.
If every MLA was there it looks like the backroom is fully behind his bid for leadership.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2014, 3:23 pm 
Almost an Islander

The deal was made and that deal stated that if Wade were to run no minister would contest him.
The deal doesn't include back benchers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 29th, 2014, 10:18 am 

I'm inclined to agree with Mike in this one. It would be nice to have a ordinary Joe Blow lead this Province for a change.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... 91?cmp=rss

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 29th, 2014, 1:31 pm 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with Mike in this one. It would be nice to have a ordinary Joe Blow lead this Province for a change.

I would rather see an open government that will show us how they are spending taxpayers dollars and why they spend them.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2014, 11:03 pm 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:

I'm disappointed in the angle the NDP are taking here.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 9:28 am 

craiger wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

What angle is that and why would you be disappointed?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 10:25 am 

Gardiner wrote:
craiger wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

Probably the gutter politic angle where Redmond attacks the person not the politics. Name calling such as elitist, and trying to play down the persons past accomplishments stating that history may not judge them to be as good as currently perceived, when for all we know, history may judge them in even a more positive light.

I find it incredibly humorous that Redmond thinks this will lead to 4-5 seats for the NDP. I would think that if given the choice between a former university president and academic who managed a budget in the tens of millions, and a soccer coach who was employed at that same university and manages a couple of summer sport camps, the prior would have far more experience and have a clear advantage in attracting votes.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 11:18 am 

New Guy wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
craiger wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

Probably the gutter politic angle where Redmond attacks the person not the politics. Name calling such as elitist, and trying to play down the persons past accomplishments stating that history may not judge them to be as good as currently perceived, when for all we know, history may judge them in even a more positive light.

I find it incredibly humorous that Redmond thinks this will lead to 4-5 seats for the NDP. I would think that if given the choice between a former university president and academic who managed a budget in the tens of millions, and a soccer coach who was employed at that same university and manages a couple of summer sport camps, the prior would have far more experience and have a clear advantage in attracting votes.

I wouldn't go as far as "gutter politics" and in all fairness to Redmond, there are a lot of assumptions based on his name and his alleged accomplishments which may or may not make him a good leader of a political party.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 12:55 pm 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
New Guy wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
craiger wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

I wouldn't go as far as "gutter politics" and in all fairness to Redmond, there are a lot of assumptions based on his name and his alleged accomplishments which may or may not make him a good leader of a political party.

I think you can make the argument that MacLauchlan has a very privileged background but the elitist argument seems too personal. And we haven't even heard of MacLauchlan's stand on any issues so it seems presumptuous to jump to conclusions as to what he doesn't support.

The attack on UPEI is a bit over the top as well. UPEI grew substantially during the years he was there and more students went to UPEI than ever before. MacLauchlan was by no means perfect, but history seems to reflect pretty kindly on his time at UPEI so far.

I also don't like the cocky and arrogant attitude displayed in the NDP press release. This is a party that has won one seat on PEI. What do they have, two announced candidates so far? I think this kind of attitude will turn more people off than it will attract.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 1:36 pm 
Almost an Islander

Redmond knows that both the Liberal and PC leaderships will knock the legs out from under the NDP. The ensuing election will yield the NDP zero seats.

Nonetheless, Redmond appears to be getting bad advice - probably from an "elitist" backroom type.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 1:48 pm 

craiger wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
New Guy wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
craiger wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

I think you can make the argument that MacLauchlan has a very privileged background but the elitist argument seems too personal. And we haven't even heard of MacLauchlan's stand on any issues so it seems presumptuous to jump to conclusions as to what he doesn't support.

The attack on UPEI is a bit over the top as well. UPEI grew substantially during the years he was there and more students went to UPEI than ever before. MacLauchlan was by no means perfect, but history seems to reflect pretty kindly on his time at UPEI so far.

I also don't like the cocky and arrogant attitude displayed in the NDP press release. This is a party that has won one seat on PEI. What do they have, two announced candidates so far? I think this kind of attitude will turn more people off than it will attract.

So cocky and arrogant attitude is ok but "elitist" is not? And in all fairness, Redmond and other NDPs can use some polishing when in from of a microphone and camera.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 5:18 pm 

I don't know how privileged Wade MacLauchlan's upbringing was, but in terms of his adult life, the man graduated University with a law degree, was a clerk to the Supreme Court of Canada, a law professor, and Dean of Law at Dal before becoming President of UPEI. I don't see that as privileged, but rather the result of hard work. I would never begrudge anyone financial success and a good lifestyle when it is the result of accomplishment through hard work.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 5:36 pm 

New Guy wrote:
I don't know how privileged Wade MacLauchlan's upbringing was, but in terms of his adult life, the man graduated University with a law degree, was a clerk to the Supreme Court of Canada, a law professor, and Dean of Law at Dal before becoming President of UPEI. I don't see that as privileged, but rather the result of hard work. I would never begrudge anyone financial success and a good lifestyle when it is the result of accomplishment through hard work.

Not sure why you think he's being begrudged?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 9:55 pm 

Gardiner wrote:
New Guy wrote:

Not sure why you think he's being begrudged?

If you say that someone has no connection to the "every day person" and state he should not be elected because of it, and call them elitist, you are begrudging them further success based on past accomplishments. Seems pretty self explanatory to me. And that seems to be what Redmond is saying.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 10:08 pm 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
craiger wrote:

So cocky and arrogant attitude is ok but "elitist" is not? And in all fairness, Redmond and other NDPs can use some polishing when in from of a microphone and camera.

I think you missed the "don't." :wink:

PostPosted: November 30th, 2014, 10:12 pm 
True Islander

New Guy wrote:

I'm not begrudging him. He's worked hard and has accomplished a lot. You don't have to be rich, or have a rich family to be privileged. Just being born a male is a form of privilege in that there are advantages in our patriarchal society of being male.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 7:56 am 

craiger wrote:
New Guy wrote:

I'm not begrudging him. He's worked hard and has accomplished a lot. You don't have to be rich, or have a rich family to be privileged. Just being born a male is a form of privilege in that there are advantages in our patriarchal society of being male.

While you said a case could be made that he is privileged, you did not begrudge him anything because of it. As I stated earlier, that was Mike Redmond. It is Redmond who has said since MacLauchlan has had financial success in his life, he in necessarily elitist and out of touch on matters concerning homelessness and poverty. I would agree that he has not experienced it first hand, but it appears from info on line that he has sat on committees which dealt with social and economic issues. This would give him as much experience solving these issues as Redmond's community volunteerism, IMO.

In the 50's or in other parts of the world, being born male might still constitute some form of privilege. This day and age in Canada, there are laws and the Charter to ensure equality. Being born anything other than male is only a disadvantage to the extent someone want to make it a disadvantage. It is an excuse, and nothing more.