* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: PEI Conservative Party Leadership
PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 11:12 pm 

New Guy wrote:
This is the Guardian's online poll on their website. It does not take into account anyone who reads a print copy of the Guardian. It does not take into account anyone who does not go online and complete the survey. It also does not take in anyone outside Charlottetown who may be more likely to read the Journal Pioneer or one of the Graphics. Plus, if you have more than one IP address, you can vote multiple times. Once for the desktop, once for the laptop, and once for the smart phone. There is no way to say these results are any bit accurate. If the had the leadership contest today and the results mirrored this poll, it would be more an example of coincidence than scientific polling.

It's a simple little opinion poll and you two are reading way too much into possible conspiracy theories....let's see how accurate it turns out in the end!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 6:12 pm 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
New Guy wrote:
This is the Guardian's online poll on their website. It does not take into account anyone who reads a print copy of the Guardian. It does not take into account anyone who does not go online and complete the survey. It also does not take in anyone outside Charlottetown who may be more likely to read the Journal Pioneer or one of the Graphics. Plus, if you have more than one IP address, you can vote multiple times. Once for the desktop, once for the laptop, and once for the smart phone. There is no way to say these results are any bit accurate. If the had the leadership contest today and the results mirrored this poll, it would be more an example of coincidence than scientific polling.

It's a simple little opinion poll and you two are reading way too much into possible conspiracy theories....let's see how accurate it turns out in the end!

A conspiracy theory is a little much. :lol:

PostPosted: December 25th, 2014, 7:20 pm 

I hope Rob Lantz wins the leadership of the Progressive Conservative Party. He did an excellent job at City Hall and, in my opinion would make a good premier. He is a straight shooter who does what he says.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2014, 8:34 pm 
Almost an Islander

Not questioning his abilities but what constitutes an excellent job at city hall?
What specifically did Lantz do that makes him leadership material at the provincial level?

I'm not starting an argument, I'm just curious. I don't know a lot about the workings of Charlottetown city hall.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 10:10 am 
From Away

Gardiner wrote:
An interesting Guardian poll.

Who do you think would be the best leader for the P.E.I. Progressive Conservative Party?

James Aylward - 28%
Darlene Compton - 18%
Rob Lantz - 52%

Bigger gap between Aylward and Lantz than I would have expected. Otherwise very predictable results. Would like to see if the results would be the same in polls on the Journal Pioneer and both Graphics.

Not that it is a big deal but when I checked the poll today the numbers were even more conclusive.

Quote:
Results of the Guardian poll as of today.

Who do you think would be the best leader for the P.E.I. Progressive Conservative Party?

27% James Aylward
18% Darlene Compton
55% Rob Lantz

I agree this is hardly scientific but it is difficult to get results reflecting this much of a gap without some legitimacy.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 26th, 2014, 11:09 am 

defmn wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
An interesting Guardian poll.

James Aylward - 28%
Darlene Compton - 18%
Rob Lantz - 52%

Bigger gap between Aylward and Lantz than I would have expected. Otherwise very predictable results. Would like to see if the results would be the same in polls on the Journal Pioneer and both Graphics.

Not that it is a big deal but when I checked the poll today the numbers were even more conclusive.

Quote:
Results of the Guardian poll as of today.

27% James Aylward
18% Darlene Compton
55% Rob Lantz

I agree this is hardly scientific but it is difficult to get results reflecting this much of a gap without some legitimacy.

I see it as a form of benchmark poll to get a general idea of how people stand initially and although it contains certain flaws, it does speak loudly of a general first impression.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 8:22 am 
Almost an Islander

With the lack of transparency at City Hall, it is difficult to say how good a job Rob Lantz did?

Judging by his own ward, there have have been some development controversies where local resident concerns were ignored? This may come back to haunt when he seeks election in District 13!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 9:42 am 

between_the_lines wrote:
With the lack of transparency at City Hall, it is difficult to say how good a job Rob Lantz did?

Judging by his own ward, there have have been some development controversies where local resident concerns were ignored? This may come back to haunt when he seeks election in District 13!

I'm sure local resident concerns are ignored all the time, in politics.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 11:00 am 
True Islander

From the people that i have chatted with i came to the conclusion of this.

Compton is know in Kings County and might have a chance of the rural voters.

Lantz is know in Charlottetown and most likely have the business's behind him.

Aylward is know in Charlottetown also and is likely to have the average person votes.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 11:43 am 
True Islander

between_the_lines wrote:

Such as what? I'm not sure if there were any in his ward, but as the chair of heritage, he certainly had to navigate some tricky issues. It seems like many came to a fair conclusion in the end. The apartments on Longworth ave immediately come to mind.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2014, 1:47 pm 
Almost an Islander

Lantz was chair of Planning --- the Committee that the developer community focuses on. He had a few local hot development issues in his own ward --- Admiral, Goodwill and Charlotte come to mind.

His Achilles heel, with respect to his time on City Planning may arise from the City allowing water supply to be privatized in order to supply newly built subdivisions because of the City's overall mismanagement of the public water supply. It would be really interesting to see how Lantz will respond to questions around the privatization of water given that he and Clifford Lee orchestrated such a concession to Duncan Shaw.

Given the lack of transparency at City Hall during the Lantz years, it is unclear whether this will see the light of day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 31st, 2014, 11:20 pm 

Lantz has the most government experience out of the 3. He was Chair of police for 4 years and chair of planning for 4 years, he has 8 years experience on Council developing a governmental budget- his opponents= 0 experience with government budgets. With that said, he will be viewed as another Charlottetown backroom boy and will have difficulty winning rural PEI.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 1st, 2015, 1:45 pm 
From Away

If I am choosing between the three candidates I am not particularly focused on who would do the best job as Premier as I am on who has the best chance of getting the job.

Once you have the job you can surround yourself with expertise and you have four years to learn before you have to go to the polls.

So if I am a PC member - I am not - I vote for the guy who I think has the best chance to beat Wade.

Simple as that.

To me that is Rob Lantz.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2015, 9:14 pm 
Almost an Islander

It appears John Jeffery's campaign for the PC nomination began before his retirement.Don't you think Mr. Jeffery and the CBC had an obligation to inform viewer about Mr. Jeffery's political ambitions?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 8:22 am 

between_the_lines wrote:
It appears John Jeffery's campaign for the PC nomination began before his retirement.Don't you think Mr. Jeffery and the CBC had an obligation to inform viewer about Mr. Jeffery's political ambitions?

Not really....as long as he was able to separate the his intent to run vs his job commitments then I don't see any issue here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 9:08 am 

between_the_lines wrote:

Why, did Robert Ghiz inform people a long time ago when he actually decided to retire, or carry on with business as usual?

Pretty insulting to Islanders to think they would not pick up on a reporter being openly biased against another party, especially in a province like PEI where people are pretty tuned in to what is going on politically.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 9:20 am 
Almost an Islander

It appears that the CBC recognizes the conflict and is launching an inquiry. See link below:

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local ... politics/1

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 9:28 am 

between_the_lines wrote:
It appears that the CBC recognizes the conflict and is launching an inquiry. See link below:

That's just a routine process to keep their own asses covered.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 10:33 am 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
between_the_lines wrote:

That's just a routine process to keep their own asses covered.

I do agree.Just look how they handled Amanda Lang in her conflict.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2015, 12:32 pm 
Almost an Islander

And look at how CTV dealt with the Mike Duffy episode.In fact the Jeffery move shares a lot of parallel with the Mike Duffy's maneuver. There both smooth operators --- gaming the system.

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next