Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: PEI Conservative Party Leadership
PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 1:16 pm 
Almost an Islander

You brought the word conspiracy in to it. No one else.
If you cannot figure out what I'm trying to say in the rest of the sentence then I guess there isn't much point in continuing with you.
Not everybody blindly follows party talking points.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 3:03 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
If you cannot figure out what I'm trying to say in the rest of the sentence then I guess there isn't much point in continuing with you.

It was you and others that have been talking about all the back room deals and how the cabinet ministers were forced to stand down by the back room. You basically stated that if they didn't they would be forced out by their own party. And you are trying to propel a theory that this shows the current Liberal MLAs mean nothing to the backroom and the one calling the shots. You proposed that there was a conspiracy.

I don't doubt that they may have been approached, but I believe that if someone high profile like Currie had decided to run, not only would they have not been able or even willing to force him out, but he likely would have won. The business about it being an "anointment" is nothing more than partisan talking points.

The reason I am not sure what the rest of what you were trying to say s because the English is that bad in it that it makes absolutely no sense. It is basically illegible.

Either way, there is a thread on the Liberal leadership. This one is supposed to be on the Conservatives and I am more interested in seeing who is going to come out of that one. Right now, at least with a competition that one will be a little more interesting than the Liberal one which appears will be decided through acclamation.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 4:31 pm 
Almost an Islander

Let me clarify for you then.
You are the only one bringing purely partisan politics to this discussion.

As I said before you are naive.

The only other option is that you are willfully making statements that you know to be incorrect.

Hopefully my grammar/English is up to your high standards and you are able to make sense of things now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 6:02 pm 
True Islander

New Guy wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:

It was you and others that have been talking about all the back room deals and how the cabinet ministers were forced to stand down by the back room. You basically stated that if they didn't they would be forced out by their own party. And you are trying to propel a theory that this shows the current Liberal MLAs mean nothing to the backroom and the one calling the shots. You proposed that there was a conspiracy.

I don't doubt that they may have been approached, but I believe that if someone high profile like Currie had decided to run, not only would they have not been able or even willing to force him out, but he likely would have won. The business about it being an "anointment" is nothing more than partisan talking points.

The reason I am not sure what the rest of what you were trying to say s because the English is that bad in it that it makes absolutely no sense. It is basically illegible.

Either way, there is a thread on the Liberal leadership. This one is supposed to be on the Conservatives and I am more interested in seeing who is going to come out of that one. Right now, at least with a competition that one will be a little more interesting than the Liberal one which appears will be decided through acclamation.

Thanks :roll: i just reread this whole thread to try to find out what you were referring too.

Gracelandstrait was the first to refer to the backroom as to controlling the reins and i agreed also.
The word conspiracy only shows up in two posts and both are by you. :lol:

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 6:39 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
Let me clarify for you then.
You are the only one bringing purely partisan politics to this discussion.

As I said before you are naive.

The only other option is that you are willfully making statements that you know to be incorrect.

Hopefully my grammar/English is up to your high standards and you are able to make sense of things now.

So because I believe that Currie, Vessey, or any of the other current Liberal MLAs may have free will and are able to make decisions for themselves, my argument is "purely partisan" and I am naïve. Keep thinking that if you want, but it is not my argument that it waters down.

If my argument was purely partisan, I likely wouldn't be stating that Currie would likely beat Wade in a Leadership contest, regardless of the fact that I personally do not believe Currie has done an even passable job as health minister. You can also find where I state Sheridan is the most Conservative finance minister the province has ever had. I have plenty negative to say about the current Liberal government. I still believe they will get in next election, mostly due to the current Conservative's inability to organize. I will have plenty negative to say about the Liberals after the next election (if I am right) regardless of who their leader is. The only thing that is certain about my vote in the next election, is that I will vote. Who I vote for will be determined by platforms. Either way, I will at least ensure that I did my part to secure my right to complain.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 6:43 pm 
Almost an Islander

In that case we are much alike.
I too will vote next election.
I will also vote for the person who I believe to be best for the job or at least against the incumbent who I believe has failed miserably at his job.

In any case, party affiliation will have little to do with my vote.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 10:39 pm 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
Like most things mentioned around here, I just heard it from a reliable source and I find it easy to believe. Just think about it, some of those other high profile ministers like Curry and Sheridan would have given MacLauchlan a run for his money and IMO a healthier competition for the leadership.

So why would they agree not to run? What's in it for them?

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 10:42 pm 
True Islander

Blake McKinley wrote:
The Guardian didn't find it hard to believe from their sources.
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local ... Covehead/1

The Guardian makes no suggestion that MacLauchlan somehow forced the cabinet ministers to come to that decision. It doesn't make any sense. If Doug Currie wanted to run for leader, but MacLauchlan wouldn't run for the leadership if anyone else ran, then Currie would have it locked up by announcing he was running as MacLauchlan then wouldn't have run.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 11:10 pm 

craiger wrote:

Politics is a lot about tactics in my opinion. Right now you have a party that is leading, but has served 2 terms already. As they have served two terms, a lot of the lustre is gone. The Conservatives have a couple of fairly strong leadership hopefuls. The party strategists (so called back room) saw an opportunity to get Wade to run. He is widely known and has a positive reputation for growing the University ect.

Now if Currie, Vessey, or some other sitting MLA chose to run for the leadership and won, the Conservatives almost automatically run on the campaign of time for change or some other variation of Change. I suspect the strategy is the run a completely new leader taking some if not a lot of the steam out of that strategy. They are already up in the polls by quite a bit, but by running this strategy they are not just looking for a 3rd term, but maybe even a 4th.

My guess is they put a strategy like this to any strong leadership hopefuls, they weighed the options, were likely promised high profile cabinet posts and committees, ect. They feel they have a better shot at keeping power and retaining 6 figure jobs for a greater number of years. A lot of the leadership contenders are actually still relatively young to be looking at "forced" retirement.

Of course that is just speculation on my part.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 11:13 pm 

craiger wrote:
Blake McKinley wrote:
The Guardian didn't find it hard to believe from their sources.
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/News/Local ... Covehead/1

The Guardian makes no suggestion that MacLauchlan somehow forced the cabinet ministers to come to that decision. It doesn't make any sense. If Doug Currie wanted to run for leader, but MacLauchlan wouldn't run for the leadership if anyone else ran, then Currie would have it locked up by announcing he was running as MacLauchlan then wouldn't have run.

My point exactly. There is no way to force someone in a position like Currie's out. What they do is put forth a strategy which makes the decision make since for the other MLAs. At the end of the day though, they made the decision. They were not forced.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 11:20 pm 

Blake McKinley wrote:
In that case we are much alike.
I too will vote next election.
I will also vote for the person who I believe to be best for the job or at least against the incumbent who I believe has failed miserably at his job.

In any case, party affiliation will have little to do with my vote.

If you feel your MLA has failed miserably at his or her job, you would be a fool to vote them in again, regardless of what party they represented. I suspect there may also be a few MLAs not reoffering. Hopefully any that are dead weight head down this path so we as voters can have choice for both person and platform. I personally tend to vote more for the person though, especially provincially.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 11:26 pm 
True Islander

New Guy wrote:

My point exactly. There is no way to force someone in a position like Currie's out. What they do is put forth a strategy which makes the decision make since for the other MLAs. At the end of the day though, they made the decision. They were not forced.

Sure there are ways to force MLA's like Currie out.
An example would be-Since he is a sitting minister,if he did not cooperate he could be simply moved out of his post and sit as a back bencher.Quite a drop in pay and exposure ,just ask Mr.Brown. :lol:

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 7:28 am 

craiger wrote:

Nothing, other than to "toe the party line", so to speak.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 7:38 am 

An interesting Guardian poll.

Who do you think would be the best leader for the P.E.I. Progressive Conservative Party?

James Aylward - 28%
Darlene Compton - 18%
Rob Lantz - 52%

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 7:38 am 

LostSole wrote:
Sure there are ways to force MLA's like Currie out.
An example would be-Since he is a sitting minister,if he did not cooperate he could be simply moved out of his post and sit as a back bencher.Quite a drop in pay and exposure ,just ask Mr.Brown. :lol:

Still doesn't force him out. He would still be an MLA, as is Brown. It would also be much harder to move someone to the back bench if he was elected leader and was the Premier. And according to the Guardian, had Currie run, Wade would not have. In that scenario, Currie is likely the next Premier.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 7:42 am 

Gardiner wrote:

Who do you think would be the best leader for the P.E.I. Progressive Conservative Party?

James Aylward - 28%
Darlene Compton - 18%
Rob Lantz - 52%

Bigger gap between Aylward and Lantz than I would have expected. Otherwise very predictable results. Would like to see if the results would be the same in polls on the Journal Pioneer and both Graphics.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 6:05 pm 
True Islander

New Guy wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

James Aylward - 28%
Darlene Compton - 18%
Rob Lantz - 52%

Bigger gap between Aylward and Lantz than I would have expected. Otherwise very predictable results. Would like to see if the results would be the same in polls on the Journal Pioneer and both Graphics.

You can not really use this poll as a guide because we do not know the numbers that voted or it could have been influenced by friends.
If a small amount of people voted it would be easy to influence the outcome by just getting a few people to vote for one person listed.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 8:35 pm 

LostSole wrote:
You can not really use this poll as a guide because we do not know the numbers that voted or it could have been influenced by friends.
If a small amount of people voted it would be easy to influence the outcome by just getting a few people to vote for one person listed.

Oh yeah, like why would people waste their time.....it's a good indicator!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 9:08 pm 

Gardiner wrote:
Oh yeah, like why would people waste their time.....it's a good indicator!

This is the Guardian's online poll on their website. It does not take into account anyone who reads a print copy of the Guardian. It does not take into account anyone who does not go online and complete the survey. It also does not take in anyone outside Charlottetown who may be more likely to read the Journal Pioneer or one of the Graphics. Plus, if you have more than one IP address, you can vote multiple times. Once for the desktop, once for the laptop, and once for the smart phone. There is no way to say these results are any bit accurate. If the had the leadership contest today and the results mirrored this poll, it would be more an example of coincidence than scientific polling.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 9:46 pm 
True Islander

New Guy wrote:
This is the Guardian's online poll on their website. It does not take into account anyone who reads a print copy of the Guardian. It does not take into account anyone who does not go online and complete the survey. It also does not take in anyone outside Charlottetown who may be more likely to read the Journal Pioneer or one of the Graphics. Plus, if you have more than one IP address, you can vote multiple times. Once for the desktop, once for the laptop, and once for the smart phone. There is no way to say these results are any bit accurate. If the had the leadership contest today and the results mirrored this poll, it would be more an example of coincidence than scientific polling.

I do agree.It could give us a better idea if they published the number of how many ballots were cast.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next