* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Ray Cantelo - Concerned for You
PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 12:04 pm 
True Islander

Ex-racer wrote:

I should have looked up the literal meaning of "reprehensible" instead of applying it in the context of linetwig's response to your statement.

Ed

My response was directly to x coma, and nothing to do with Kreskin.

You still havent explained how its perfectly acceptable to you, for x coma to post their opinion, yet, when I do it, its an attack on freedom of speech.

For some reason, you're dodging this question. Lets hear your answer.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 3:08 pm 
Almost an Islander

of course you're entitled to free speech, but politics under this post is off topic, feel free to start it up under a new post, this is about a man being released from prison.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 4:09 pm 
True Islander

Apparently I'm not, according to Ex, and, it was he who brought it up. I just want to know what the reason for the double standard is.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 6:00 pm 

I thought my posts on this topic made my position clear, but I'll try again.

It's my opinion that we should be able to disagree with other people's opinions without describing them as "sickening, disgusting and reprehensible".

What's wrong with saying "I think you're wrong, and here's why ..........." ?

In my post in question (below) I do plead guilty to using one of your terms to illustrate that I disagreed with the use of such language to describe another's opinion. I'll try to do better in future. :)

Quote:
What is just as 'reprehensible', to me, is the branding as "sickening, disgusting and reprehensible" the opinion of a fellow member of a discussion board, in a nation that supposedly has freedom of speech. And by a moderator, too.

Well......... disappointing, at least. :( :?

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 6:58 pm 
True Islander

My opinion of his post was :
sickening, disgusting, reprehensible, and, about 12 other adjectives that I can think of. I make no apologies for it.

Sorry if it offended your feelings. I'll try to be more politically correct in future so it doesnt offend your poor sensibilties.

Not.

They didnt give two shits about what the victims family might be feeling if they saw the tragic death of one ther own equated to politics. Seems as though you dont give two shits either. Imagine ed if it was your wife hit and killed by this pos, and you read what was posted. I wonder how your tune would change.

Speaks volumes about both imo.

I'm done.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 8:24 pm 
From Away

I read what I wrote several times. The gist of what I said is; that the damage to environment, economy, the wildlife, family lives and peoples health and well being is worse than one person's death.

There are far more people affected by what I mentioned than one person's death. To me that is worse. I stick by what I said.

If you choose to be offended that is something you have to deal with. After all it is your choice to be offended or not. They are your feelings, you should be in charge or control of them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 8:33 pm 
From Away

Oh yes, I said that the actions of Politicians and greedy people cause the damage mentioned.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 8th, 2014, 6:53 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

XComa wrote:
I read what I wrote several times. The gist of what I said is; that the damage to environment, economy, the wildlife, family lives and peoples health and well being is worse than one person's death.

But why would you bring that up in this thread?

Are you saying that by electing a known drunk and convicted killer to the provincial legislature, things will improve???

I doubt you are saying that (what person in their right mind would?), so would it not have been much more honourable to just start a new thread to bitch about "the damage to environment, economy, the wildlife, family lives and peoples health and well being" by the current provincial government rather than attempt to diminish what Ray Cantelo did (and therefore diminish the value of Stacey Cheverie's life) by making that comparison??

Because if we can dismiss or diminish what Ray Cantello did because it wasn't as bad as what the current government is doing then for the same reason, we should dismiss or diminish what Kevin McMurrer did, what Roger Burke did, what Doug Beamish did, what John Fennell did, what Julie Hynes did, what Fred Sheppard did, what James Bradley did, what John Rayner did, what any killer did.

Profile E-mail