* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ray Cantelo - Concerned for You
PostPosted: August 1st, 2014, 12:37 pm 
Almost an Islander

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Ray Cantelo Wins Nomination Without Contest in Georgetown-St. Peters District

Over 50 Islanders attended Ray Cantelo's candidate nomination at the Cantelo homestead Thursday evening. Cantelo, who has been an active voice in the community for years, particularly on issues of renewable energy, won the nomination without contest. In his acceptance speech, Cantelo focussed on the employment needs of rural Islanders and sustainable economic development.

"When Islanders must leave Prince Edward Island to work, families are split up. The bottom line is this does not contribute to our Island economy. The government needs to create an economy that supports entrepreneurs and small business people at the community level and we are not seeing this in PEI."

Cantelo believes the Island Party offers a refreshing change to the old-time traditional Island politics. As an Island Party candidate, Cantelo is committed to public policy that addresses the issue of jobs in rural PEI.

Billy Cann, Leader of the Island Party of Prince Edward Island supports the nomination of Ray Cantelo. Cann said that we need people who are willing to stand up for the long-term best interests of Islanders.

"Traditional politics in PEI is changing. People have watched both mainstream political parties fail to serve the interests of Islanders in rural areas. We have educated people on the Island who cannot find work to sustain their families, and this is causing families to pick up roots and move elsewhere."

Cann said that the Island has so much to offer but the current government administration's only interest is in rewarding their political friends. He invited Islanders to view the Island Party website and party platforms.

"The Island Party is the ONLY political party in Prince Edward Island that is interested in serving the interests of ALL Islanders. Bringing back the Island to Islanders."

Post subject: Re: Ray Cantelo - Concerned for You
PostPosted: August 1st, 2014, 1:42 pm 

You're puzzled?

Well, right now, that makes two of us. :D

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 1st, 2014, 2:07 pm 

You lost me at "The government needs to create an economy...".

The current government needs to remove itself as much and as far from economy as possible. They are there to enforce rules and collect taxes. They need to stop meddling and giving tax breaks and grants to for-profit businesses and supporting unsustainable industries. Economy will survive just fine on its own.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2014, 5:41 pm 

The fine upstanding citizen Cantelo was just released from prison...serving 18 months of the original five year sentence. The parole board got this all wrong. Shameful.

Guardian Link

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2014, 9:20 am 
From Away

sawguy wrote:
The fine upstanding citizen Cantelo was just released from prison...serving 18 months of the original five year sentence. The parole board got this all wrong. Shameful.

Guardian Link

I believe what the current government and their cronies are doing is far worse than what Cantelo did. Shameful.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 10:32 am 
Almost an Islander

Edited by admin.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 11:36 am 
True Islander

XComa wrote:
sawguy wrote:

Guardian Link

I believe what the current government and their cronies are doing is far worse than what Cantelo did. Shameful.

:shock:

wtf?

PostPosted: August 4th, 2014, 4:38 pm 

XComa wrote:

You're saying a bunch of corrupt politicians are worse than a killer?

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 8:00 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Not sure why Xcoma would say what he said ... saying such a thing diminishes the life and memory of Stacey Cheverie and as such, is reprehensible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 4:21 pm 
From Away

Corrupt politicians and greedy people are ruining Prince Edward Islands economy, the environment.

Because of the poor economy they have created; families are being broke up, people have to go out west. People are being put into situations where they are getting injured and getting into drugs and gambling. Contributing factors to suicide.

There has been more than one life ended by the actions of corrupt politicians and greedy people. Indirectly or otherwise, the result is just as bad. Some people are no longer alive and others lives have been irrevocably changed.

Who knows what will happen as a result of the changes to the environment. Wildlife has a value. Drinking water has a value. Pollution/pesticides have many negative implications to peoples health, that has a value.

Not to diminish her life, death or memories but others lives have been damaged and ended by the actions of a few greedy and corrupt.

In my opinion that is far worse than one persons death. I think I am looking at a bigger picture.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 5th, 2014, 6:06 pm 
True Islander

XComa wrote:

Not to diminish her life, death or memories

Congratulations.

You did just that.

To try and equate a persons death by a drunk driver leaving the scene , to politics is beyond sickening, disgusting and reprehensible.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2014, 6:46 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

XComa wrote:
[...] others lives have been damaged and ended by the actions of a few greedy and corrupt.

That is the case worldwide and has been a fact of life for thousands of years. The current PEI government (or any before them) are certainly not unique in that regard.

Watch something other than Compass (to get the current global context) or read a few history books (to get the historical context), then you can put the behaviour and actions of the current provincial government in context of the reality of the world we live in. You'll then likely be saying, 'heyyyyyy, we have it pretty good, don't we?"

That is why, for those of us in tune with the realities of life on this planet, your comments above come across as either naive/ignorant or petty/partisan (or maybe both).

And to try to justify or diminish Ray Cantelo's actions in any context is reprehensible.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 6th, 2014, 1:42 pm 

What is just as 'reprehensible', to me, is the branding as "sickening, disgusting and reprehensible" the opinion of a fellow member of a discussion board, in a nation that supposedly has freedom of speech. And by a moderator, too.

Well......... disappointing, at least. :( :?

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 6th, 2014, 3:38 pm 
True Islander

You have a better description of that opinion?

I think it deserves much stronger langauge, but we are forbidden to use it. In a nation of free speech, I find the posters postion to be exactly what I posted. It is my right to express it, and I did exactly that. If y ou find it reprehensible, well, too bad soo sad. Express your own feelings. I'm sure the victims family has much stronger feelings on that particular post then we do, and rightly so.

So, lets recap Ed, that member can post whatever opinion they like ( based on freedom of speech), but, tyour freedom of speech forbids anyone else from commenting?

Hypocrite much?

Tell us, ex, what exactly is your take of that particular opinion?

PostPosted: August 6th, 2014, 4:55 pm 

linetwig wrote:
..........Tell us, ex, what exactly is your take of that particular opinion?

I don't agree with XComa's opinion. I'm totally opposed to drunk driving and would like to see the justice system throw the book at them.

However, I can disagree with his opinion without insulting him personally.

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 6th, 2014, 5:55 pm 
True Islander

linetwig wrote:

To try and equate a persons death by a drunk driver leaving the scene , to politics is beyond sickening, disgusting and reprehensible.

hmmmmmmmm

Ex-racer wrote:
However, I can disagree with his opinion without insulting him personally.

Ed

I'm not seeing a personal insult there Ed, What I am seeing is an opinion on his post.

I do love how you skirted the point I made about not being able to voice MY opinion reggarding Xcoma's opinion, you know, the part that your very hypocritical about.

I suggest you learn to read.

Oh, nice blanket post on imparied driving, but nothing from you regarding your personal opinion on xcoma's post.

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 6:59 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

linetwig wrote:

Ex-racer wrote:
What is just as 'reprehensible', to me, is the branding as "sickening, disgusting and reprehensible" the opinion of a fellow member of a discussion board, in a nation that supposedly has freedom of speech. And by a moderator, too.

When did linetwig become a moderator? :shock: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 8:34 am 

kreskin wrote:
linetwig wrote:

Ex-racer wrote:

That part (underlined) wasn't aimed at linetwig. :)

kreskin wrote:
XComa wrote:
[...] others lives have been damaged and ended by the actions of a few greedy and corrupt.

And to try to justify or diminish Ray Cantelo's actions in any context is reprehensible.

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 9:13 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Ex-racer wrote:
kreskin wrote:
linetwig wrote:

Ex-racer wrote:

That part (underlined) wasn't aimed at linetwig. :)

Then I suggest the use of a new paragraph in order to dissassociate from the preceding sentence :wink:

Ex-racer wrote:
kreskin wrote:
XComa wrote:

Ed

Saying that what Xcoma wrote was reprehensible was not a personal insult, it was my opinion about about Xcoma's opinion. A person is not reprehensible, only his/her actions or words.

Reprehensible: deserving of criticism.

Would you have been less offended if I had said "And to try to justify or diminish Ray Cantelo's actions in any context is deserving of criticism."?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 10:09 am 

Quote:
Saying that what Xcoma wrote was reprehensible was not a personal insult, it was my opinion about about Xcoma's opinion. A person is not reprehensible, only his/her actions or words.

Reprehensible: deserving of criticism.

My bad. :oops:

I should have looked up the literal meaning of "reprehensible" instead of applying it in the context of linetwig's response to your statement.

Ed

Profile E-mail