* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ron MacKinley expenses
PostPosted: June 28th, 2014, 7:52 am 

Three things of note.

1. Enough already Mr Myers.
2. Mr Ghiz's response(not exactly supportive).
3. This flies in the face of the Government's health trend report.

oh and who pays $46 for a 15-piece bucket of chicken?

Quote:
Ron MacKinley expenses

The Opposition says P.E.I. Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development Minister Ron MacKinley charged more than $8,200 in meals on his government credit card between October 2011 and December 2013.

The Opposition released the information after making a Freedom of Information request on the credit card charges of all Liberal government ministers.

Opposition leader Steven Myers says MacKinley's food costs are the highest.

'When you can't buy your own cup of coffee, your own Big Mac and your own bucket of chicken and you make $115,000 a year, I have a problem with that.'
- Opposition leader Steven Myers
CBC News reviewed the credit card statements provided by the Progressive Conservatives, and the figure of $8,200 appears to be accurate.

Ron MacKinley's office says its own records show the total is around $7,200.

The slips show MacKinley purchased fast food from chains such as McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Subway and KFC on more than 65 occasions, totalling more than $850.

In one instance, a credit card slip shows MacKinley spent $46 on a 15-piece bucket of chicken at a KFC drive-thru.

3 or 4 car washes a month

In the documents, that expense is described as a "dinner meeting to discuss governmental issues."

"When you can't buy your own Big Mac and you can't buy your own bucket of chicken and you make $115,000 a year, I have a problem with that," said Myers.

Steven Myers - custom
Progressive Conservative Opposition leader Steven Myers says taxpayers should be outraged about MacKinley's expenses. (CBC)

"It's ridiculous and taxpayers should be outraged."

The credit card slips also show charges at restaurants such as Sam's in Cornwall, Maggie's in North River, Red's Corner at Poole's Corner and the Merchantman Pub in Charlottetown.

The charge slips indicate they were for meetings to discuss constituency or governmental issues.

Many of the credit card slips also show charges for car washes. MacKinley went through car washes three or four times a month on some occasions, and charged $11 to $13 each time on his government credit card.

"It screams at how entitled this goverment is," said Myers.

MacKinley is in Calgary at a meeting of fisheries ministers and said he will be glad to comment on the issue when he returns to his office on July 11.

Premier Robert Ghiz was at a meeting of Francophonie ministers

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ron MacKinley expenses
PostPosted: June 28th, 2014, 10:08 am 
True Islander

I don't see an issue with the meals but I don't see why he was charging tax payers to wash his car.

And Ghiz hasn't responded yet, so what do you mean his response isn't supportive?

PostPosted: June 28th, 2014, 10:56 am 

craiger wrote:
I don't see an issue with the meals but I don't see why he was charging tax payers to wash his car.

And Ghiz hasn't responded yet, so what do you mean his response isn't supportive?

Quote:
I want to respond to the comments from Ghiz about people having the chance to vote against MacKinley Election Day. I

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2014, 7:56 am 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
Quote:
I want to respond to the comments from Ghiz about people having the chance to vote against MacKinley Election Day. I

Who said this? It wasn't in the article you posted.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2014, 8:05 am 

craiger wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
Quote:

Who said this? It wasn't in the article you posted.

Sorry about that.....the brief interview was on Compass and he really didn't defend Ron, he pretty well left it up to the voters.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2014, 9:46 am 

The attempted witch hunt the Conservatives have been on, poring over expense accounts with a fine tooth comb has frankly raised the Ghiz government in my eyes quite a bit as far as their frugality and respect for taxpayers dollars. I don't think there's a government elsewhere in the country that could be put through such scrutiny with so little in results. Compared to Bev Oda's excesses, the cases we saw go to criminal charges in Nova Scotia, and the spending of the recent Alberta premier, there's nothing here. Nothing at all.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2014, 5:00 pm 
True Islander

I believe ever MLA's expenses should be posted in the media.Not just the year end total but a detailed list of where every cent was spent and for what. This way the voters would see how their tax dollars are being spent.
I believe Mr.MacNeil publishes the salaries of government employees in his weekly paper once a year and it sells out in two days,so it might be the same for this.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2014, 5:09 pm 
True Islander

If that's all Myers has, and all he can find, he should keep his mouth shut, because with every one of these "discoverys" he looks more and more pathetic.

Every time he releases these findings people cringe, and not at the discovery, but at how faulking stupid he comes across as. Pretty sad that even die hard Tories Shake their head in disgust at his bs.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 7:39 am 

linetwig wrote:
If that's all Myers has, and all he can find, he should keep his mouth shut, because with every one of these "discoverys" he looks more and more pathetic.

Every time he releases these findings people cringe, and not at the discovery, but at how faulking stupid he comes across as. Pretty sad that even die hard Tories Shake their head in disgust at his bs.

I agree on your opinion of Mr Myers, but don't you think it's time someone took Mr Mackinley aside and advised him on how he should conduct himself when representing a Government official?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 1st, 2014, 11:21 am 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
linetwig wrote:

I agree on your opinion of Mr Myers, but don't you think it's time someone took Mr Mackinley aside and advised him on how he should conduct himself when representing a Government official?

Who would that someone be? Mr.Ghiz already stated it is up to the voters to decide if they did not like his actions.Would other MLA's in his party tell him? I do not believe so.So it seems it is up to Mr.Myers to shine a light on the issue.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2014, 4:47 pm 
From Away

Recall Legislation .. then see how many times Ghiz will say something to the effect if you do not like it then show it next election. He is pretty mouthy

Ghiz would have been tossed already if we had Recall Legislation.

We need to be able to 'Fire' these people before next election. A person can do a lot of damage in four or five years. We need to have a recourse.

There is no accountability. They make election lies/promises, we fall for it, then they do what they want. It needs to change.

What is the problem with Ron MacKinley's expenses ? We allow it. We are at fault for their abuses because we keep putting up with it. Talk Talk Talk, that is all we do. There is no action.

Money wasted, um, we the TaxPayers are giving Maritime Electric/Fortis 140 Million dollars; 60 Million for the wind turbine and 80 Million for the third power cable. In turn we get the highest or second highest power rates in the country. You want to talk about wasted money. How about the Government lending money for Development. Holman Grand comes to mind, little loan to the Irving's comes to mind. Government has no business lending out TaxPayer's dollars.

Pick your Battles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 8th, 2014, 6:55 pm 
True Islander

XComa wrote:
Recall Legislation .. then see how many times Ghiz will say something to the effect if you do not like it then show it next election. He is pretty mouthy

Ghiz would have been tossed already if we had Recall Legislation.

We need to be able to 'Fire' these people before next election. A person can do a lot of damage in four or five years. We need to have a recourse.

There is no accountability. They make election lies/promises, we fall for it, then they do what they want. It needs to change.

What is the problem with Ron MacKinley's expenses ? We allow it. We are at fault for their abuses because we keep putting up with it. Talk Talk Talk, that is all we do. There is no action.

Money wasted, um, we the TaxPayers are giving Maritime Electric/Fortis 140 Million dollars; 60 Million for the wind turbine and 80 Million for the third power cable. In turn we get the highest or second highest power rates in the country. You want to talk about wasted money. How about the Government lending money for Development. Holman Grand comes to mind, little loan to the Irving's comes to mind. Government has no business lending out TaxPayer's dollars.

Pick your Battles.

Recall legislation will never be put into place.Why you say? Basically there are only two parties that have a chance of being elected here (if we look at the past as a reference). Now why would they put this into place if it will get them booted if they do not do what they were elected for.
It is too late to fix the system,it is being totally controlled by said parties. The funny thing is we as voter think we are making a change when we vote but in fact we are just playing their game and funding it as taxpayers.
Sure some will say if you want change put your name on the ballot and run for your district. But even if you can fund this and do win your seat ,this does not insure you are able to compete just ask Mr.McGuire. :lol:

PostPosted: July 9th, 2014, 6:30 pm 
True Islander

Recall legislation?

becareful what you wish for.

If we had recall legislation look what you'd get
- Myers and the Tories. He cant run a 4 person caucus, let alone a 3 county province ffs. His track record speaks for itself. Completely laughable. If he gets reelected, the people in his district deserve what they get, which is nothing.

-The NDP. Another joke. They have zero expereince, can promise you the world because they will never have to deliver. Look what happend in Ont and NS. Same circus, different bunch of clowns.

Yes by all means, we def need recall legislation. Better the devil you know... Perhaps by election time the Tories will have straightened there act out ( I'm doubtful) and elected someone with more clues than Myer's 2 that he has ( 1 is lost , the other went looking).

Recall is the last thing any place needs. Not happy? remember it at the next election, but we def dont need that.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2014, 6:17 am 

linetwig wrote:
Recall legislation?

becareful what you wish for.

If we had recall legislation look what you'd get
- Myers and the Tories. He cant run a 4 person caucus, let alone a 3 county province ffs. His track record speaks for itself. Completely laughable. If he gets reelected, the people in his district deserve what they get, which is nothing.

-The NDP. Another joke. They have zero expereince, can promise you the world because they will never have to deliver. Look what happend in Ont and NS. Same circus, different bunch of clowns.

Yes by all means, we def need recall legislation. Better the devil you know... Perhaps by election time the Tories will have straightened there act out ( I'm doubtful) and elected someone with more clues than Myer's 2 that he has ( 1 is lost , the other went looking).

Recall is the last thing any place needs. Not happy? remember it at the next election, but we def dont need that.

Recall legislation is still a good way to ensure promises are kept and should not have anything to do with how incompetent other parties or their members are.

Profile E-mail