* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

I support jury nullification
Poll ended at May 22nd, 2014, 12:50 pm
Yes 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
No 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Jury Nullification
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 12:50 pm 
Almost an Islander

A video introduction to jury nullification.
The True Duty of a Jury: http://youtu.be/l7nqdV7wV2k

Or take a look on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

Jury nullification occurs in a trial when a jury acquits a defendant, even though the members of the jury believe the defendant to be guilty of the charges. This may occur when members of the jury disagree with the law the defendant has been charged with breaking, or believe that the law should not be applied in that particular case.

I suspect this is how cannabis will ultimately be legalised. Jury nullification allows people to legalise things without any appeal to politicians. Pretty powerful, eh?

Join My Partners:
The Ed and Ethan Podcast | Liberty NS | Liberty NB | Victoria Libertarian Book Club

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jury Nullification
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 3:23 pm 
Almost an Islander

ashleyjohnston wrote:
I suspect this is how cannabis will ultimately be legalised. Jury nullification allows people to legalise things without any appeal to politicians. Pretty powerful, eh?

Didn't view links, but I'm quite certain legalization of cannibis will occur with supreme court of a province (for that province) or supreme court of Canada. There will be no jurors to legalize weed.

Jurors don't change laws.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 12:00 pm 
Almost an Islander

balkoth wrote:
ashleyjohnston wrote:

Didn't view links, but I'm quite certain legalization of cannibis will occur with supreme court of a province (for that province) or supreme court of Canada. There will be no jurors to legalize weed.

Jurors don't change laws.

In all but the narrowest sense Jurors can change laws. View the links then get back to me.

Join My Partners:
The Ed and Ethan Podcast | Liberty NS | Liberty NB | Victoria Libertarian Book Club

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2014, 12:56 pm 

While I'm no fan of big government and it's horde of regulators, doesn't it come down to this -

Shall 'the law' be that which is enacted by the representatives of the people through due process, or determined by what any twelve individuals, who happen to be the jury on that day and for that specific case, are inclined to think?

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 8:35 am 
True Islander

The laws on weed will change when the majority of Canadians demand it which they haven't as of yet.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2014, 9:19 am 
Almost an Islander

Ex-racer wrote:
While I'm no fan of big government and it's horde of regulators, doesn't it come down to this -

Shall 'the law' be that which is enacted by the representatives of the people through due process, or determined by what any twelve individuals, who happen to be the jury on that day and for that specific case, are inclined to think?

Ed

Not whatever they think, but no more punitive than what they agree upon.

Quote:
During Prohibition, juries often nullified alcohol control laws,[8] possibly as often as 60% of the time because of disagreements with the justice of the law.[9] This resistance is considered to have contributed to the adoption of the Twenty-first amendment repealing the Eighteenth amendment which established Prohibition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_null ... ted_States

Join My Partners:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 25th, 2014, 2:25 pm 
Almost an Islander

The Law You Won't Be Told: http://youtu.be/uqH_Y1TupoQ

This a more even treatment of jury nullification.

And another note is the movie 'A Time to Kill' was all about jury nullification though it never said the phrase. If I remember the story correctly both juries nullified.

Join My Partners:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 28th, 2014, 6:54 pm 
True Islander

greenspree wrote:
The laws on weed will change when the majority of Canadians demand it which they haven't as of yet.

Oh but they have
Quote:
Majority of Canadians Would Legalize Marijuana, But Not Other Drugs
Apr 15, 2010 - Angus Reid Strategies - Global Monitor
"53% of Canadians support the legalization of marijuana"May 13, 2008
June 28, 2007 - Angus Reid Global Monitor Download Complete Poll (PDF)

"55% of Canadians support legalization of marijuana"

This law will be null and void i predict in the courts of jurors. We need a public education campaign.

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy