PEIinfo Logo
  Top Banner

Listings Coming Soon
 
Home
* FAQ
* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: March 30th, 2014, 7:25 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: November 26th, 2006, 12:15 am
Posts: 3248
Ex-racer wrote:
Raiders wrote:
So you would prefer a forum for tinfoil hat wearing nutjobs to spew their garbage but you don't think sensible people who rely on facts rather than moronic conspiracy websites for information should have the same venue?.................

I've asked you this question before but didn't get a straight answer. How do you define a 'fact'?

To be more specific - how do you, personally, decide whether some statement, article, or social media item, is 'fact' or 'garbage'?

Ed

I'm afraid Ed you will never get an answer.

_________________
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: March 31st, 2014, 3:05 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: January 3rd, 2009, 1:04 pm
Posts: 750
I thought the original suggestion to split the Political debates was a worthy suggestion and would recommend something like Domestic Politics, and International Politics. Unfortunately it then turned into a hate filled internet bullying rant.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: April 1st, 2014, 12:22 pm 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: May 4th, 2008, 2:13 am
Posts: 6461
New Guy wrote:
Unfortunately it then turned into a hate filled internet bullying rant.

That was actually how it started out.

_________________
Linux User 412309
openSUSE-KDE give it a try today
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 12:21 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: September 24th, 2005, 10:23 pm
Posts: 1028
I maintain my position that 95% of what is on the current Political Debates board is endless soapbox posts and conspiracy theories. The other 5% doesn't stand a chance unless we take measures to isolate the junk elsewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 2:20 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: February 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm
Posts: 1526
adamfreeland wrote:
I maintain my position that 95% of what is on the current Political Debates board is endless soapbox posts and conspiracy theories. The other 5% doesn't stand a chance unless we take measures to isolate the junk elsewhere.


That problem exists for most topics on this board(and not uncommon among most public boards) and probably a good reason why most users just don't bother participating in meaningful debates anymore.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 6:02 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: April 12th, 2010, 7:29 am
Posts: 2240
adamfreeland wrote:
I maintain my position that 95% of what is on the current Political Debates board is endless soapbox posts and conspiracy theories. The other 5% doesn't stand a chance unless we take measures to isolate the junk elsewhere.

How about giving us your ideas on what would be acceptable topics for a political forum.

Ed

_________________
Searching for truth with an open mind is more rewarding than belief, which by definition is unquestioning.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 1:15 pm 
Offline
Almost an Islander
User avatar

Joined: February 5th, 2009, 12:38 pm
Posts: 336
Location: Charlottetown
I am thoroughly surprised that there has not been a spin off forum after the mismanagement I have seen of this site. I would love to engage more but for the management. This site makes money right? Is there nobody that wants money, has time, and can do better than the admins?

_________________
Join Us:
The Liberty PEI Facebook Group: Exploring and Expanding Liberty on Prince Edward Island

Join My Partners:
The Ed and Ethan Podcast | Liberty NS | Liberty NB | Victoria Libertarian Book Club


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 1:22 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: October 20th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Posts: 1493
ashleyjohnston wrote:
I am thoroughly surprised that there has not been a spin off forum after the mismanagement I have seen of this site. I would love to engage more but for the management. This site makes money right? Is there nobody that wants money, has time, and can do better than the admins?


If you want a spin off do it yourself. The rest of us are content with management here.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 3:13 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: February 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm
Posts: 1526
Nomie wrote:
ashleyjohnston wrote:
I am thoroughly surprised that there has not been a spin off forum after the mismanagement I have seen of this site. I would love to engage more but for the management. This site makes money right? Is there nobody that wants money, has time, and can do better than the admins?


If you want a spin off do it yourself. The rest of us are content with management here.

Who's the rest of us?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: April 26th, 2014, 9:32 am 
Offline
Site Admin (volunteer)
User avatar

Joined: November 1st, 2003, 7:55 am
Posts: 16903
Location: Brackley Beach PE / Lake Wales FL
ashleyjohnston wrote:
I am thoroughly surprised that there has not been a spin off forum after the mismanagement I have seen of this site. I would love to engage more but for the management. This site makes money right? Is there nobody that wants money, has time, and can do better than the admins?

This site barely makes enough to cover the domain registration and server costs.

Admins do not get paid and, surprise, have active personal lives (I'm posting this from Richmond VA after a month in Florida setting up our new home there).

I've been involved with this site for over a dozen years and the management of the board has tried every known tactic to maintain some civility ... from tight censorship to laissez-faire. No matter what is tried, we can't please everyone. We've grown a little weary of babysitting and holding hands and trying to please everyone and have accepted the fact that people are going to behave with as little or as much maturity and intelligence as they do in real life.

The PEIinfo board is what it is. If you don't like Mexican food, don't go into a Mexican restaurant and complain that you can't get wonton soup and eggrolls. If you don't like what is served in this restaurant, there are plenty of other restaurants. If you do like our offerings, we hope you will come back often.

But we have stopped trying to be all things to all people. Yes, we will continue to listen to suggestions. In fact, the idea proposed in this thread is rather interesting, but I have been away for the last several weeks and the other admins have a lot going on in their real lives so please forgive us for not having the time right now to deal with the suggestion.

And on the topic, if anyone is interested in devoting a few dozen hours each week to this board by being an administrator and has a history of being a thoughtful and level headed contributor without an agenda driving them, please PM me. I'll be back next week.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: April 26th, 2014, 9:51 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: February 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm
Posts: 1526
kreskin wrote:
ashleyjohnston wrote:
I am thoroughly surprised that there has not been a spin off forum after the mismanagement I have seen of this site. I would love to engage more but for the management. This site makes money right? Is there nobody that wants money, has time, and can do better than the admins?

This site barely makes enough to cover the domain registration and server costs.

Admins do not get paid and, surprise, have active personal lives (I'm posting this from Richmond VA after a month in Florida setting up our new home there).

I've been involved with this site for over a dozen years and the management of the board has tried every known tactic to maintain some civility ... from tight censorship to laissez-faire. No matter what is tried, we can't please everyone. We've grown a little weary of babysitting and holding hands and trying to please everyone and have accepted the fact that people are going to behave with as little or as much maturity and intelligence as they do in real life.

The PEIinfo board is what it is. If you don't like Mexican food, don't go into a Mexican restaurant and complain that you can't get wonton soup and eggrolls. If you don't like what is served in this restaurant, there are plenty of other restaurants. If you do like our offerings, we hope you will come back often.

But we have stopped trying to be all things to all people. Yes, we will continue to listen to suggestions. In fact, the idea proposed in this thread is rather interesting, but I have been away for the last several weeks and the other admins have a lot going on in their real lives so please forgive us for not having the time right now to deal with the suggestion.

And on the topic, if anyone is interested in devoting a few dozen hours each week to this board by being an administrator and has a history of being a thoughtful and level headed contributor without an agenda driving them, please PM me. I'll be back next week.


Good luck with that....lol

Quote:
has a history of being a thoughtful and level headed contributor without an agenda driving them


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 7:22 am 
Offline
Site Admin (volunteer)
User avatar

Joined: November 1st, 2003, 7:55 am
Posts: 16903
Location: Brackley Beach PE / Lake Wales FL
Thus endeth that experiment (splitting up the political section) :-)


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group