* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Suggestion to split this board
PostPosted: March 30th, 2014, 7:25 pm 
True Islander

Ex-racer wrote:
Raiders wrote:
So you would prefer a forum for tinfoil hat wearing nutjobs to spew their garbage but you don't think sensible people who rely on facts rather than moronic conspiracy websites for information should have the same venue?.................

I've asked you this question before but didn't get a straight answer. How do you define a 'fact'?

To be more specific - how do you, personally, decide whether some statement, article, or social media item, is 'fact' or 'garbage'?

Ed

I'm afraid Ed you will never get an answer.

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy

PostPosted: March 31st, 2014, 3:05 pm 

I thought the original suggestion to split the Political debates was a worthy suggestion and would recommend something like Domestic Politics, and International Politics. Unfortunately it then turned into a hate filled internet bullying rant.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2014, 12:22 pm 
True Islander

New Guy wrote:
Unfortunately it then turned into a hate filled internet bullying rant.

That was actually how it started out.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 12:21 pm 

I maintain my position that 95% of what is on the current Political Debates board is endless soapbox posts and conspiracy theories. The other 5% doesn't stand a chance unless we take measures to isolate the junk elsewhere.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 2:20 pm 

adamfreeland wrote:
I maintain my position that 95% of what is on the current Political Debates board is endless soapbox posts and conspiracy theories. The other 5% doesn't stand a chance unless we take measures to isolate the junk elsewhere.

That problem exists for most topics on this board(and not uncommon among most public boards) and probably a good reason why most users just don't bother participating in meaningful debates anymore.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 4th, 2014, 6:02 pm 

adamfreeland wrote:

How about giving us your ideas on what would be acceptable topics for a political forum.

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 1:15 pm 
Almost an Islander

I am thoroughly surprised that there has not been a spin off forum after the mismanagement I have seen of this site. I would love to engage more but for the management. This site makes money right? Is there nobody that wants money, has time, and can do better than the admins?

Join My Partners:
The Ed and Ethan Podcast | Liberty NS | Liberty NB | Victoria Libertarian Book Club

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 1:22 pm 

ashleyjohnston wrote:
I am thoroughly surprised that there has not been a spin off forum after the mismanagement I have seen of this site. I would love to engage more but for the management. This site makes money right? Is there nobody that wants money, has time, and can do better than the admins?

If you want a spin off do it yourself. The rest of us are content with management here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 3:13 pm 

Nomie wrote:
ashleyjohnston wrote:

If you want a spin off do it yourself. The rest of us are content with management here.

Who's the rest of us?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 26th, 2014, 9:32 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

ashleyjohnston wrote:

This site barely makes enough to cover the domain registration and server costs.

Admins do not get paid and, surprise, have active personal lives (I'm posting this from Richmond VA after a month in Florida setting up our new home there).

I've been involved with this site for over a dozen years and the management of the board has tried every known tactic to maintain some civility ... from tight censorship to laissez-faire. No matter what is tried, we can't please everyone. We've grown a little weary of babysitting and holding hands and trying to please everyone and have accepted the fact that people are going to behave with as little or as much maturity and intelligence as they do in real life.

The PEIinfo board is what it is. If you don't like Mexican food, don't go into a Mexican restaurant and complain that you can't get wonton soup and eggrolls. If you don't like what is served in this restaurant, there are plenty of other restaurants. If you do like our offerings, we hope you will come back often.

But we have stopped trying to be all things to all people. Yes, we will continue to listen to suggestions. In fact, the idea proposed in this thread is rather interesting, but I have been away for the last several weeks and the other admins have a lot going on in their real lives so please forgive us for not having the time right now to deal with the suggestion.

And on the topic, if anyone is interested in devoting a few dozen hours each week to this board by being an administrator and has a history of being a thoughtful and level headed contributor without an agenda driving them, please PM me. I'll be back next week.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: April 26th, 2014, 9:51 am 

kreskin wrote:
ashleyjohnston wrote:

This site barely makes enough to cover the domain registration and server costs.

Admins do not get paid and, surprise, have active personal lives (I'm posting this from Richmond VA after a month in Florida setting up our new home there).

I've been involved with this site for over a dozen years and the management of the board has tried every known tactic to maintain some civility ... from tight censorship to laissez-faire. No matter what is tried, we can't please everyone. We've grown a little weary of babysitting and holding hands and trying to please everyone and have accepted the fact that people are going to behave with as little or as much maturity and intelligence as they do in real life.

The PEIinfo board is what it is. If you don't like Mexican food, don't go into a Mexican restaurant and complain that you can't get wonton soup and eggrolls. If you don't like what is served in this restaurant, there are plenty of other restaurants. If you do like our offerings, we hope you will come back often.

But we have stopped trying to be all things to all people. Yes, we will continue to listen to suggestions. In fact, the idea proposed in this thread is rather interesting, but I have been away for the last several weeks and the other admins have a lot going on in their real lives so please forgive us for not having the time right now to deal with the suggestion.

And on the topic, if anyone is interested in devoting a few dozen hours each week to this board by being an administrator and has a history of being a thoughtful and level headed contributor without an agenda driving them, please PM me. I'll be back next week.

Good luck with that....lol

Quote:
has a history of being a thoughtful and level headed contributor without an agenda driving them

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2014, 7:22 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Thus endeth that experiment (splitting up the political section) :-)

Profile E-mail