Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: No social contract with Canadian Soldiers?
PostPosted: March 18th, 2014, 10:36 pm 

I simply can't believe that anyone would think this is the right way to treat Canadian veterans. Once again Harper shows his true colours and abuses the people that gave their lives, limbs, hearts and souls for this country. Despicable!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veteran ... -1.2577053

Sure use them for photo ops, claim that the "Harper Govt" is the only group that supports them, pull out your "hard power" talking points and then turn your back on them when they need help. I'm sure they will all waltz away from office and take their cushy gold plated pension plans right to their offshore accounts.

Post subject: Re: No social contract with Canadian Soldiers?
PostPosted: March 18th, 2014, 11:00 pm 
True Islander

Actually the people in the forces take and oath to protect the queen,not the Gov. or Canada.
Quote:
Canada
I, _________, do swear (solemnly declare) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, her heirs and successors according to law. SO HELP ME GOD (delete if declaration)
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/chapter-chapitre-006-eng.asp
So i don't know if they will win this case i hope they do.

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 8:39 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

saherbal wrote:
Actually the people in the forces take and oath to protect the queen,not the Gov. or Canada.

Same thing. If you understood Canada's system of government, you'd know that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 3:50 pm 
True Islander

kreskin wrote:
saherbal wrote:

How is it the same thing? I see NO mention of Canada or our GOV. just the queen and her heirs. I do know our system of Gov very well.
It's not the same thing, that is your assumption.

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 3:57 pm 
True Islander

Just because you choose to be willfully stupid doesn't change our system of government.
Perhaps you should stay out of matters that involve our soldiers and our system of government. Whatever delusions you have and your choice not to seek medical help prevent you from making intelligent decisions on these matters.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 7:22 pm 
True Islander

Quote:
Social covenant dates to WW I, vets say

One of the suit's main arguments is the existence of a "social contract" between the government and Canadian Forces veterans.

Was the contract changed in 2005? What was the change? Only thing it has with Gov. is the CONTRACT.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 8:39 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

saherbal wrote:
kreskin wrote:
saherbal wrote:

How is it the same thing? I see NO mention of Canada or our GOV. just the queen and her heirs. I do know our system of Gov very well.
It's not the same thing, that is your assumption.

Not assumption, just a little thing called education.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 9:00 pm 
True Islander

mj wrote:
I simply can't believe that anyone would think this is the right way to treat Canadian veterans. Once again Harper shows his true colours and abuses the people that gave their lives, limbs, hearts and souls for this country. Despicable!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/veteran ... -1.2577053

Sure use them for photo ops, claim that the "Harper Govt" is the only group that supports them, pull out your "hard power" talking points and then turn your back on them when they need help. I'm sure they will all waltz away from office and take their cushy gold plated pension plans right to their offshore accounts.

I don't really understand all the backlash against Harper over this. It was the Liberal government that enacted the new Veterans charter that saw them go from pensions to lump sum awards.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 9:34 pm 
True Islander

craiger wrote:
I don't really understand all the backlash against Harper over this. It was the Liberal government that enacted the new Veterans charter that saw them go from pensions to lump sum awards.

It is the Harper government spending hundreds of thousands of our tax dollars fighting this issue in court.
The Liberals are long gone. Harper owns this issue and that is why he is getting the backlash.
He has no honor and he campaigned on "supporting the troops" while basically calling the Liberals unpatriotic.
He is a sleazy hypocrite who rode the election on the backs of veterans and active duty soldiers and he has done nothing but make cuts to their services and forget all about them when they return home. That is why he is getting backlash.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2014, 3:33 pm 
True Islander

Raiders wrote:
Just because you choose to be willfully stupid doesn't change our system of government.
Perhaps you should stay out of matters that involve our soldiers and our system of government. Whatever delusions you have and your choice not to seek medical help prevent you from making intelligent decisions on these matters.

I think these comments apply to most of you in this thread.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2014, 5:47 pm 
True Islander

If people knew what veterans are going through they would understand that this issue is not about the amount of money but how it is paid.

Giving a large amount of money to someone who just had their lives devastated and may be in the depths of depression and PTSD is a sure way to have them self-destruct through drugs, alcohol and risky behaviour.

Cap the total amount paid through pensions if need be, but the lump sum payment is the worst idea