Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What happened to flight 370?
PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 10:11 am 
True Islander

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/india-puts ... -1.2574012
PM says plane's movements indicate deliberate act.
Jet flew west for nearly 7 hours after dropping off radar.

This tell me that it was being controlled.
So could it have been hijacked and landed somewhere?
Now the question is -who would want a plane and what has happened to it passengers?
Also is there anyone of interest in the passenger list?

Post subject: Re: What happened to flight 370?
PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 10:19 am 
True Islander

This isn't a passage takeover.
This plane was brought down by one or both of the pilots.
They would be the only ones in a position to do it. Locked door. The transponder and flight recorders were turned off.

Where the landed is the mystery and what would they want with the plane unless they are going to load it up with something and use it as a weapon.

My guess is that it's in the middle of the Indian ocean.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 11:09 am 

I'll go way 'out on a limb' and predict that the world has underestimated the abilities and determination of China's Uighurs.

http://www.news.com.au/national/uighur- ... 6855911080

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 11:21 am 
True Islander

The world may have but the Chinese certainly haven't.
They been trying to drive them out of China for a long time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 11:45 am 
True Islander

How long before the wild conspiracy theorys start.... " the US did this so they could invade ( insert country here)".

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 11:48 am 
From Away

if this thing was landed chances are it will be used for something big...who knows whats comming

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 12:24 pm 
True Islander

linetwig wrote:
How long before the wild conspiracy theorys start.... " the US did this so they could invade ( insert country here)".

Already happening. The nujob followers in Alex Jones' cult are already jabbering about it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 12:34 pm 

Raiders wrote:
.............The nujob followers in Alex Jones' cult are already jabbering about it.

You read that stuff? :lol: :lol:

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 12:52 pm 
True Islander

#-o :shock: :lol:
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damia ... over-this/

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 2:45 pm 

Did you realize that, after the 9/11 attacks, Boeing worked with SPS International, part of System Planning Corporation, a defense contractor majoring in electronic warfare technologies, on remote airplane control technology that allows planes to be remotely controlled should the pilots be incapacitated or the plane hijacked.

Also, in 2003, "Aviation Week" Boeing and Honeywell described the Flight Management Systems (FMS) that can allow a GPS-guided aircraft autopilot system to take away control of an aircraft from a pilot during emergencies.

"Assisted recovery builds on existing enhanced ground proximity warning systems (EGPWS), autopilot or fly-by-wire technologies to prevent an aircraft from crashing into terrain or buildings ... If pilots don't respond to warnings within a certain amount of time, assisted recovery directs autopilot or fly-by-wire control systems to steer aircraft away from a crash."[2]

I can't find the Aviation Week link any more, but here's a similar one:-
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... ks-201654/

Ed

Last edited by Ex-racer on March 16th, 2014, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 2:57 pm 
True Islander

No relevance to this disappearance.
There is no evidence that this system was ever completed and installed on any plane.
Even if it was the plane would have been too far away for any remote control device to work. These are designed to work on planes that fly into restricted air space.

Not to mention, the article was written in 2005 and clearly states there was no intention of retro fitting existing planes with the technology because it would be too expensive.
The plane in question here was built in 2002.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 16th, 2014, 7:58 pm 
True Islander

Quote:
20 Freescale Semiconductor employees on missing Malaysian flight
http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2014-03-08/freescale-semiconductor-nascar-malaysian-airlines-flight-mh370-sprint-cup-missing-plane

Freescale Semiconductor Employees Confirmed Passengers on Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370

AUSTIN, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar. 8, 2014-- Freescale Semiconductor (NYSE:FSL) has confirmed that 20 of its employees were confirmed passengers on Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. Twelve are from Malaysia and eight are from China. The entire Freescale Semiconductor community is deeply saddened by this news. The company is continuing to monitor the situation and will provide more information as it becomes available.

“At present, we are solely focused on our employees and their families,” said Gregg Lowe, president and CEO, Freescale. “Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by this tragic event.”

The company has assembled counselors and other professionals through Freescale’s Employee Assistance Program, with around-the-clock support for those impacted by this tragedy.

About Freescale Semiconductor

Freescale Semiconductor (NYSE:FSL) is a global leader in embedded processing solutions, providing industry leading products that are advancing the automotive, consumer, industrial and networking markets. From microprocessors and microcontrollers to sensors, analog integrated circuits and connectivity – our technologies are the foundation for the innovations that make our world greener, safer, healthier and more connected. Some of our key applications and end-markets include automotive safety, hybrid and all-electric vehicles, next generation wireless infrastructure, smart energy management, portable medical devices, consumer appliances and smart mobile devices. The company is based in Austin, Texas, and has design, research and development, manufacturing and sales operations around the world. www.freescale.com
http://www.freescale.com/
So these are some confirmed people on the plane.

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy

PostPosted: March 17th, 2014, 10:00 pm 
True Islander

linetwig wrote:

There were some interesting theories on the highlights from cross country check up with Rex Murphy on CBC radio today!

I'm not sure what happened to the plane but obviously someone controlled it for a while. I don't think it landed anywhere. I think it flew for a while and then crashed in the ocean somewhere.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2014, 8:11 pm 
True Islander

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Courtney Love thinks she found the location of the plane. :shock:

PostPosted: March 18th, 2014, 8:51 pm 
True Islander

Not a funny situation at all but I love this comment.

Quote:
Craig Hobson What are the odds thou that it would land right next to a red sign saying plane let alone next to the arrow ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 18th, 2014, 8:55 pm 
True Islander

Raiders wrote:
Not a funny situation at all but I love this comment.

Quote:
Craig Hobson What are the odds thou that it would land right next to a red sign saying plane let alone next to the arrow ?

Or the one who said- she was the last person to use ms paint.

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 7:42 am 

This from a pilot's point of view.

Chris Goodfellow has 20 years experience as a Canadian Class-1 instrumented-rated pilot for multi-engine planes

Ed

MH370: A Startlingly Simple Theory
By Chris Goodfellow

A lot of speculation about MH370. Terrorism, hijack, meteors. I cannot believe the analysis on CNN – almost disturbing. I tend to look for a more simple explanation of this event.

Loaded 777 departs midnight from Kuala to Beijing. Hot night. Heavy aircraft. About an hour out across the gulf towards Vietnam the plane goes dark meaning the transponder goes off and secondary radar tracking goes off.

Two days later we hear of reports that Malaysian military radar (which is a primary radar meaning the plane is being tracked by reflection rather than by transponder interrogation response) has tracked the plane on a southwesterly course back across the Malay Peninsula into the straits of Malacca.

When I heard this I immediately brought up Google Earth and I searched for airports in proximity to the track towards southwest.

The left turn is the key here. This was a very experienced senior Captain with 18,000 hours. Maybe some of the younger pilots interviewed on CNN didn’t pick up on this left turn. We old pilots were always drilled to always know the closest airport of safe harbor while in cruise. Airports behind us, airports abeam us and airports ahead of us. Always in our head. Always. Because if something happens you don’t want to be thinking what are you going to do – you already know what you are going to do. Instinctively when I saw that left turn with a direct heading I knew he was heading for an airport. Actually he was taking a direct route to Palau Langkawi a 13,000 foot strip with an approach over water at night with no obstacles. He did not turn back to Kuala Lampur because he knew he had 8,000 foot ridges to cross. He knew the terrain was friendlier towards Langkawi and also a shorter distance.

Take a look on Google Earth at this airport. This pilot did all the right things. He was confronted by some major event onboard that made him make that immediate turn back to the closest safe airport.

For me the loss of transponders and communications makes perfect sense if a fire. There was most likely a fire or electrical fire. In the case of fire the first response if to pull all the main busses and restore circuits one by one until you have isolated the bad one.

If they pulled the busses the plane indeed would go silent. It was probably a serious event and they simply were occupied with controlling the plane and trying to fight the fire. Aviate, Navigate and lastly communicate. There are two types of fires. Electrical might not be as fast and furious and there might or might not be incapacitating smoke. However there is the possibility given the timeline that perhaps there was an overheat on one of the front landing gear tires and it blew on takeoff and started slowly burning. Yes this happens with underinflated tires. Remember heavy plane, hot night, sea level, long run takeoff. There was a well known accident in Nigeria of a DC8 that had a landing gear fire on takeoff. A tire fire once going would produce horrific incapacitating smoke. Yes, pilots have access to oxygen masks but this is a no no with fire. Most have access to a smoke hood with a filter but this will only last for a few minutes depending on the smoke level. (I used to carry one of my own in a flight bag and I still carry one in my briefcase today when I fly).

What I think happened is that they were overcome by smoke and the plane just continued on the heading probably on George (autopilot) until either fuel exhaustion or fire destroyed the control surfaces and it crashed. I said four days ago you will find it along that route – looking elsewhere was pointless.

This pilot, as I say, was a hero struggling with an impossible situation trying to get that plane to Langkawi. No doubt in my mind. That’s the reason for the turn and direct route. A hijack would not have made that deliberate left turn with a direct heading for Langkawi. It would probably have weaved around a bit until the hijackers decided on where they were taking it.

Surprisingly none of the reporters , officials, other pilots interviewed have looked at this from the pilot’s viewpoint. If something went wrong where would he go? Thanks to Google earth I spotted Langkawi in about 30 seconds, zoomed in and saw how long the runway was and I just instinctively knew this pilot knew this airport. He had probably flown there many times. I guess we will eventually find out when you help me spread this theory on the net and some reporters finally take a look on Google earth and put 2 and 2 together. Also a look at the age and number of cycles on those nose tires might give us a good clue too.

Fire in an aircraft demands one thing – you get the machine on the ground as soon as possible. There are two well remembered experiences in my memory. The AirCanada DC9 which landed I believe in Columbus Ohio in the eighties. That pilot delayed descent and bypassed several airports. He didn’t instinctively know the closest airports. He got it on the ground eventually but lost 30 odd souls. In the 1998 crash of Swissair DC-10 off Nova Scotia was another example of heroic pilots. They were 15 minutes out of Halifax but the fire simply overcame them and they had to ditch in the ocean. Just ran out of time. That fire incidentally started when the aircraft was about an hour out of Kennedy. Guess what the transponders and communications were shut off as they pulled the busses.

Get on Google Earth and type in Pulau Langkawi and then look at it in relation to the radar track heading. 2+2=4 That for me is the simple explanation why it turned and headed in that direction.

Smart pilot. Just didn’t have the time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 7:47 am 

The most simple explanation is usually the right one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 8:47 am 
True Islander

Nomie wrote:
The most simple explanation is usually the right one.

Sometimes.
The author has already changed his story twice though as new facts come out such as how long the plane was on radar, what airports were within range, the time difference between the communications being cut and the transponder being shut off, the fact that it was a computer programmed diversion from the original path and not a manual one etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 30th, 2014, 9:21 pm 

Hundreds of personnel from nearly a dozen nations, operating from ships and aircraft, have been searching for more than three weeks. Is there any limit to the resources of these nations that should be spent on this search?

How much is enough? Who will have the courage to say "We've done all that we can"?

And what to make of the demands by some of the victims' families that the Malaysian government give them what is obviously impossible at this point.

Ed

Profile E-mail