Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: New Political Party Leader
PostPosted: March 5th, 2014, 3:20 pm 
Newly Created Account

Ignoring political background and more based on leadership traits, career success, communicating abilities, and experience, who would you try and convince to one day be a political party leader in PEI?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Political Party Leader
PostPosted: March 7th, 2014, 12:07 am 

PCYouthMember wrote:
Ignoring political background and more based on leadership traits, career success, communicating abilities, and experience, who would you try and convince to one day be a political party leader in PEI?

For me, people of any country or region are the most accurately described by the way they care about the ones among themselves who get born disadvantaged in some way. On PEI, nothing tells more about people then the fact that there are native people here with no access to clean drinking, or child bathing, water. Give me a party leader that will have balls to make that an election issue and he/she will have my vote.

PostPosted: March 7th, 2014, 7:14 pm 
True Islander

sasha wrote:
PCYouthMember wrote:

For me, people of any country or region are the most accurately described by the way they care about the ones among themselves who get born disadvantaged in some way. On PEI, nothing tells more about people then the fact that there are native people here with no access to clean drinking, or child bathing, water. Give me a party leader that will have balls to make that an election issue and he/she will have my vote.

Lack of clean drinking water is definitely a problem in Canada for aboriginal people, but I didn't think it was an issue on PEI. Where do aboriginals not have clean drinking water on the island?

PostPosted: March 7th, 2014, 11:08 pm 

craiger wrote:
sasha wrote:
PCYouthMember wrote:

Lack of clean drinking water is definitely a problem in Canada for aboriginal people, but I didn't think it was an issue on PEI. Where do aboriginals not have clean drinking water on the island?

Being from away, I do not know all of the Island that well. If you really care to learn about exact areas where native people have no access to clean water you might want to get in touch with this person: https://www.facebook.com/eliza.knockwood

Few years ago she was talking about her relative travelling daily to give baby a bath - it came to me as a shock.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2014, 7:56 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

And being from away, you probably wouldn't realize that aboriginal affairs is a federal jurisdiction/responsibility and therefore the issue doesn't really belong in a topic discussing a question concerning a provincial political party?

Good topic, wrong thread :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 8th, 2014, 3:29 pm 

kreskin wrote:
And being from away, you probably wouldn't realize that aboriginal affairs is a federal jurisdiction/responsibility and therefore the issue doesn't really belong in a topic discussing a question concerning a provincial political party?

Before it being provincial and federal issue, I find it to be human and humanitarian issue. Federal/provincial distinction does not stop out politicians from talking about DVA (federal department and federal issue). I am aware that DVA office closing impacts a few islanders, but so does not having access to clean drinking water. To an outsider, it looks like some Islanders matter more than other Islanders.

PostPosted: March 8th, 2014, 7:50 pm 
True Islander

sasha wrote:
kreskin wrote:

Before it being provincial and federal issue, I find it to be human and humanitarian issue. Federal/provincial distinction does not stop out politicians from talking about DVA (federal department and federal issue). I am aware that DVA office closing impacts a few islanders, but so does not having access to clean drinking water. To an outsider, it looks like some Islanders matter more than other Islanders.

Again, is there an issue for aboriginals on PEI with lack of access to clean drinking water? I don't recall hearing that it's an issue here.

PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 9:07 am 

PEI no fresh drinking or bathing water!!!!!!! hahahahaha!!!!!!!! thats a good one!!! some people can be so ignorant....wow!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 10:44 am 
True Islander

crowsbro2 wrote:
PEI no fresh drinking or bathing water!!!!!!! hahahahaha!!!!!!!! thats a good one!!! some people can be so ignorant....wow!!

I tend to agree people can be so ignorant.Where do our homeless get access to clean drinking water and bathing water?

PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 12:55 pm 

Give your goddamn head a shake...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 6:33 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

sasha wrote:
kreskin wrote:

Before it being provincial and federal issue, I find it to be human and humanitarian issue.

Even more reason for you to not be bringing up the subject in a topic initiated to discuss the relatively mundane subject of possible leaders of a provincial political party leader.

Doesn't this broader ranging humanitarian subject deserve its own topic???

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 7:08 pm 
True Islander

crowsbro2 wrote:

What is your point here? Outside of what looks like a silly little rant you don't seem to be making a point for either side of the issue.

Is there an issue on PEI around clean drinking water for aboriginals or not?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 11th, 2014, 8:59 pm 

Raiders wrote:

Sorry about the late reply. I was trying to get more information. This is all I got from the person who reported it few years ago
Quote:
....that issue was about Morell reserve, a community surrounded by potatoe fields. My sister has since left that community and I have not been sucessful in getting an update on their current water issues.

Unless something dramatically changed, I guess reserve is still there and fields are still there and, for the part of the year, water is not safe for drinking.

PostPosted: March 11th, 2014, 9:10 pm 
True Islander

sasha wrote:
Raiders wrote:

Sorry about the late reply. I was trying to get more information. This is all I got from the person who reported it few years ago
Quote:
....that issue was about Morell reserve, a community surrounded by potatoe fields. My sister has since left that community and I have not been sucessful in getting an update on their current water issues.

Unless something dramatically changed, I guess reserve is still there and fields are still there and, for the part of the year, water is not safe for drinking.

That is hardly an example of systemic problems with drinking water for aboriginals. I'm sure you could find the same anecdotal evidence for much of the Island population.

None of this is to say though that a provincial leader cannot have concerns about the first nations population regardless of whether or not it is a federal or provincial issue. Any good leader is going to be concerned with the entire population regardless of background.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 2:21 pm 
From Away

when it comes right down to it I doubt any of the water is really fit to drink here anymore...I don't drink it ....

Profile E-mail