* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: 20 to 1
PostPosted: March 28th, 2014, 8:16 pm 

P.E.I. has highest job vacancy ratio in country - StatsCan
Innovation Minister Allen Roach says he's not worried
CBC News
Mar 28, 2014

The latest figures from Statistics Canada show that for every vacant job in the month of December, there were 20 Islanders looking for work.

That was the highest job vacancy ratio in the country, and the highest P.E.I. has seen since Statistics Canada introduced the measure back in 2011.

The figures show the number of vacant jobs in December stood at 500, less than half the number from the same month the year before.

Meanwhile, 11,000 Islanders were looking for work.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... -1.2588955

Folks, that news item is the best example of an oxymoron as you could hope to find.
Definition of OXYMORON:- a combination of contradictory or incongruous words - something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements.

If 11,000 Islanders were all really looking for work, there wouldn't be 500 vacant jobs. StatsCan most likely got the 11,000 figure from the EI officials, whose clients are required to state that they are looking for work.

There are a couple of possible explanations for this situation, both of which should concern Mr Roach.

* Many Islanders don't want to work at the jobs that are available.
* Many Islanders aren't qualified for the jobs that are available.

Ed

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 20 to 1
PostPosted: March 28th, 2014, 9:55 pm 
True Islander

Ex-racer wrote:

Ed

It's not that many islanders aren't qualified for the jobs that are available, it's that many unemployed islanders aren't qualified for the jobs that are available. I haven't checked the stats but I'm assuming a fair amount of unemployed islanders have less than a grade 12 education and possibly limited work experience. Those two combinations can make it very difficult to find employment.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 12:38 am 

craiger wrote:
Ex-racer wrote:

Ed

It's not that many islanders aren't qualified for the jobs that are available, it's that many unemployed islanders aren't qualified for the jobs that are available. I haven't checked the stats but I'm assuming a fair amount of unemployed islanders have less than a grade 12 education and possibly limited work experience. Those two combinations can make it very difficult to find employment.

Yes, it's the unemployed I was referring to. I should have specified that.

Someone 'failed them' along the way. Whether it was their parents failing to instill positive attitudes, the education system, or the 'nanny' state, is a topic for further discussion.

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 8:41 am 
Almost an Islander

Was going to post this article myself.

500 jobs available. 11,000 'looking' for jobs.
You hear all the time of the fish plants wanting workers, but can't get enough, and have to bring people from other countries. The main requirements that I can guess is being able to do physical labor. I doubt all 11,000 are 55+ years old or physically unfit to do work (if they were they'd go on disability).

Another reason for those not working (add to your list):
1. Travel. If say the 500 jobs are in Summerside and Charlottetown (I'd imagine most would be in December). It is doubtful someone living in western PEI would make money driving to Charlottetown. And someone living in Eastern PEI would not make money driving to Summerside. The further you have to travel the higher the wage would have to be.

Many of the 11,000 (we assume EI claimants), probably have seasonal jobs (April-October), and finding and taking a nearby job that only pays $10 an hour and the employer knowing they will only be working the winter months, is not necessarily a good match for either employee or employer. If employer looking for year long employee, but employee makes more at seasonal job, then not a good fit if employer has to train another person once seasonal worker leaves.

I do understand reasons why some people don't take a job during winter if they have a good seasonal job (good pay and hours, enjoy it). On the other hand if they are intentionally not looking for better work or a part time winter job at least, while taking EI funds, they are abusing the system if this happens every year.

EI is meant for transitional periods for between jobs (get laid off form work and not going back there).
It is not meant for working May-November, then get 'laid off' knowing you'll be back again next May, while being able to collect EI during the winter months.
Not meant as a yearly supplement to your regular income.

Generalized categories of EI claimants:
1. Worked somewhere, then laid off. Not going back to work there (cutbacks, job no longer required). So they get EI until they find another job. Actually looking for new job.

2. Seasonal workers who get their hours in or work during the season, then get laid off, but basically an agreement with employer that they will be hired back on next season. Not looking for another job.

Any others?

Quote:
The figures show the number of vacant jobs in December stood at 500, less than half the number from the same month the year before.

That is the most interesting part of article. There were 1/2 as many job openings available as previous year. Why was that?
Were there more jobs available 1 year ago (ie more hiring going on 1 year ago due to better economy?).
Or is the 1/2 this year mean that more jobs were filled (and kept filled) and thus no need for new hirings. Or maybe there were less jobs to fill (economy worse and thus less job openings)?

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 10:30 am 
True Islander

A better question would be-what kind of jobs are the 500 available.Are they full time,above minimum wage,location and skilled needed.
From most of the people i talk to today say there is very few full time jobs any more.I know one young lady that works three jobs and still does not get 40 hours of work a week.This is not uncommon i am told.
So these three jobs are being performed by one lady now would they be classified as three jobs in the report? One would think so,so how many other part time jobs are being done by the one person and being classed by the job filled and not by said person.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 10:44 am 

When they say there are 500 job openings, that doesn't necessarily mean that these are jobs that are going wanting, either because people aren't qualified or because people just don't want them.
More likely these are just jobs that have opened up (new employers, someone quit, or whatever) and haven't been filled yet because they're going through the advertising/interviewing process. The job market doesn't magically fill jobs instantaneously, so we always see some openings.
What do these numbers mean? Possibly that new openings or turnover are down from last year when there were twice as many openings. Likely the new requirement to look for work more aggressively and the reduced support from EI may have led to available jobs being snapped up more quickly.
I don't know that the difficulty of finding work is necessarily a comment on the training and attitudes of Island workers as much as it is a comment on the limitations of the Island's economy and entrepreneurs to generate work for them.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 11:57 am 
From Away

balkoth wrote:

You hear all the time of the fish plants wanting workers, but can't get enough, and have to bring people from other countries. The main requirements that I can guess is being able to do physical labor. I doubt all 11,000 are 55+ years old or physically unfit to do work (if they were they'd go on disability).

1. Travel. If say the 500 jobs are in Summerside and Charlottetown (I'd imagine most would be in December). It is doubtful someone living in western PEI would make money driving to Charlottetown. And someone living in Eastern PEI would not make money driving to Summerside. The further you have to travel the higher the wage would have to be.

Many of the 11,000 (we assume EI claimants), probably have seasonal jobs (April-October), and finding and taking a nearby job that only pays $10 an hour and the employer knowing they will only be working the winter months, is not necessarily a good match for either employee or employer. If employer looking for year long employee, but employee makes more at seasonal job, then not a good fit if employer has to train another person once seasonal worker leaves.

I do understand reasons why some people don't take a job during winter if they have a good seasonal job (good pay and hours, enjoy it). On the other hand if they are intentionally not looking for better work or a part time winter job at least, while taking EI funds, they are abusing the system if this happens every year.

EI is meant for transitional periods for between jobs (get laid off form work and not going back there).
It is not meant for working May-November, then get 'laid off' knowing you'll be back again next May, while being able to collect EI during the winter months.

1. Worked somewhere, then laid off. Not going back to work there (cutbacks, job no longer required). So they get EI until they find another job. Actually looking for new job.

2. Seasonal workers who get their hours in or work during the season, then get laid off, but basically an agreement with employer that they will be hired back on next season. Not looking for another job.

Any others?

Quote:

That is the most interesting part of article. There were 1/2 as many job openings available as previous year. Why was that?
Were there more jobs available 1 year ago (ie more hiring going on 1 year ago due to better economy?).
Or is the 1/2 this year mean that more jobs were filled (and kept filled) and thus no need for new hirings. Or maybe there were less jobs to fill (economy worse and thus less job openings)?

another thing to note is a lot don't want islanders to fill those jobs..example fish plant workers...why would they when if they get people to come in from other countrys and the gov will pay half their wages..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 12:42 pm 
Almost an Islander

R2R711 wrote:
another thing to note is a lot don't want islanders to fill those jobs..example fish plant workers...why would they when if they get people to come in from other countrys and the gov will pay half their wages..

Gov do pay islanders the 1/2 wages (or whatever it is) as well at those jobs. It's not just for non canadians. Though I agree there can be other incentives to have non Canadians (usually it's because they do the work and are good at it).

Remember the call centers that get gov grants or wage things just because they 'create' jobs.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 12:43 pm 
True Islander

R2R711 wrote:
balkoth wrote:

Any others?

Quote:

Ughhh. Government doesn't pay half the wages of temporary foreign workers. They don't pay any of the wages for temporary foreign workers.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 4:55 pm 
From Away

craiger wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
balkoth wrote:

Any others?

Quote:

Ughhh. Government doesn't pay half the wages of temporary foreign workers. They don't pay any of the wages for temporary foreign workers.

not what I been hearing

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 4:58 pm 

R2R711 wrote:
not what I been hearing

you've been hearing wrong

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 5:01 pm 
From Away

Nomie wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
not what I been hearing

apparently so has a lot of others then

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 5:11 pm 

R2R711 wrote:
Nomie wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
not what I been hearing

You should note a list of all the people saying it and assume anything else they "hear" again is wrong.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 5:12 pm 
From Away

sasha wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
Nomie wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
not what I been hearing

You should note a list of all the people saying it and assume anything else they "hear" again is wrong.

just like gov didn't invest money into the mink ranch...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 5:21 pm 

R2R711 wrote:
sasha wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
Nomie wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
not what I been hearing

So you have an issue with gov providing money to local business which in turn will help the economy of the Island?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 5:22 pm 

R2R711 wrote:
sasha wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
Nomie wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
not what I been hearing

That is totally different issue. It is not secret government invested money there. That makes no difference to the fact that government does not contribute to temporary workers' wages in any way. Temporary workers have no benefits and less protection than anyone else here and their labour does contribute to the programs from which they will never benefit but both, you and me, do.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 5:26 pm 
True Islander

R2R711 wrote:
sasha wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
Nomie wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
not what I been hearing

You do realize that the temporary foreign worker program is a federal program, right? The provincial government has no involvement in it.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 5:29 pm 
From Away

sasha wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
sasha wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
Nomie wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
not what I been hearing

That is totally different issue. It is not secret government invested money there. That makes no difference to the fact that government does not contribute to temporary workers' wages in any way. Temporary workers have no benefits and less protection than anyone else here and their labour does contribute to the programs from which they will never benefit but both, you and me, do.

people were told the gov wasn't putting money into it... guess that's why I don't have much trust in what they say

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 5:31 pm 
From Away

craiger wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
sasha wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
Nomie wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
not what I been hearing

You do realize that the temporary foreign worker program is a federal program, right? The provincial government has no involvement in it.

does it matter who funds the programs? still invites them here..

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 29th, 2014, 5:38 pm 
From Away

Nomie wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
sasha wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
Nomie wrote:
R2R711 wrote:
not what I been hearing

So you have an issue with gov providing money to local business which in turn will help the economy of the Island?

oh..so how is it helping by hiring people from other countries?

Profile E-mail