* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Cancer
PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 6:55 am 
From Away

Ex-racer wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
I don't think that is a fair statement. I've used the services provided by our local CTS and I have nothing praise for the work they do there.

I hope you haven't mistaken my comments as criticism of the 'front-line' people working in diagnosis and treatment. By all accounts they are doing an excellent job with the resources at their disposal.

My criticism is directed at the bureaucrats at Health PEI and the people that we've elected to 'lead' them - and us.

I'm particularly concerned about the possible connection between chemical pollution and cancer rates, given that PEI has a higher than average rate, and is also an agricultural area.

Ed

is there really any doubt in peoples mines whats causing it.? we eat ..drink and breath it...years and years of dumping hundreds of thousand of tons chemicals into the ground had tanken its toll...gov has turned a blind eye because its all about dollars...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 7:49 am 

Dr_Chris wrote:
Interesting discussion.

This was in the news recently.

What do you feel about this?
There are discussions that cancer can be a result of ignorance about our lifestyle choices or regular foods we eat or environment we live in.

http://www.today.com/health/dont-eat-cr ... 2D11591387

this is the actual document http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/Guida ... 374534.pdf

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consume ... 374855.htm

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... de-in-food

Totally heartbroken to read this. But if this is the case, are there similar foods that we don't know about?? Is changing our diet/lifestyle the simplest option?

With an alert like this from a regulatory body, at least my consumption has reduced for sure! (though I miss it badly :)

Great post and IMO knowing what goes into your body(solid, liquid or other) and taking responsibly of that is the key to preventing most diseases.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 2:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

Gardiner wrote:
Great post and IMO knowing what goes into your body(solid, liquid or other) and taking responsibly of that is the key to preventing most diseases.

Even that's tricky. Knowing what goes into your body and knowing if it's good or bad comes down to any misconceptions that the current state of scientific knowledge is at. Just look at the recent down-grade of the dangers of saturated fats. Trans-fats are still on the danger list (Go butter!).

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 2:26 pm 

Justin O'Brien wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

Even that's tricky. Knowing what goes into your body and knowing if it's good or bad comes down to any misconceptions that the current state of scientific knowledge is at. Just look at the recent down-grade of the dangers of saturated fats. Trans-fats are still on the danger list (Go butter!).

Good point....which is why "everything in moderation" works for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 3:21 pm 
True Islander

Gardiner wrote:
Justin O'Brien wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

Good point....which is why "everything in moderation" works for me.

And it would work for everyone else too if they were to actually apply the philosophy.
Food is medicine and medicine is food. A balanced diet free from processed foods, free from the scam diets and free from the scam food pyramids that government sets up will keep you healthy.

There will still be cancer. There will still be heart disease. There will still be obesity. It just won't be in epidemic volumes.

Freedom of speech sadly includes the freedom of the sugar industry and the fast food industry and the industrial farm protein industry to lie to consumers about the negative effects of consuming their products. Until there is a paradigm change in the way we allow food to be marketed and we allow the food lobby to dictate what is "healthy" it is buyer and user beware.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 19th, 2014, 3:41 pm 
Almost an Islander

Excuse the pun, but you said a mouthful

Raiders wrote:
Food is medicine and medicine is food.
and
this you wrote:
Freedom of speech sadly includes the freedom of the sugar industry and the fast food industry and the industrial farm protein industry to lie to consumers about the negative effects of consuming their products... it is buyer and user beware.
reminds me of a class I had in 8th grade (Postie Connolly) that covered, among other things, how advertisers get to you. What I've learned since then is how the advertisers aren't guilty of indictable lying, but they trick us into lying to ourselves by putting unrelated or scientifically incongruous things together in the same frame, where we say to ourselves that they are related.

Here's an example from 30 - 40 years ago that went something like this: "One serving of (famous breakfast cereal) and four ounces of milk is a good dietary source of fibre, protein and three essential vitamins". No mention of sugar and you know the cereal itself is nothing but fodder - which is good for you of course.

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail