* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cancer
PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 8:02 am 

I'm listening to a CBC radio interview with a PEI cancer doctor about a new 'committee' that government has created.

They discussed the fact that PEI's cancer rates are higher that the national average. The doctor outlined the 'initiatives' being promoted by this committee - screening, diagnosis, treatment, and palliative care.

Not one word was said about prevention.

Don't expect any attention by this committee to the tons of carcinogenic chemicals dumped on the ground by farmers.

Ed

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cancer
PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 9:20 am 

You make a good point and perhaps prevention is something that will come out of those public consultations.

Quote:
NEW
High cancer rates on P.E.I. examined
CBC News Posted: Feb 24, 2014 7:58 AM AT Last Updated: Feb 24, 2014 7:58 AM AT

The P.E.I. government has established a committee to look at high rates of cancer and poor treatment outcomes in the province.

Dr. Ethan Laukkanen - custom
The cancer coordination steering committee will report to government by June, says Dr. Ethan Laukkanen. (CBC)

Every day on P.E.I. someone dies from cancer. The Island has one of the highest rates of cancer in men in Canada, and P.E.I. women are more likely to die if they get cancer.

The new cancer coordination steering committee will look at the full spectrum of cancer in the health care system, from cancer screening and diagnosis, to treatment and palliative care.

Oncologist Dr. Ethan Laukkanen, chair of the committee, said the goal is to save more lives.

"We would like to see the end result being lower incidence of cancer overall and better cancer outcomes, looked at from a number of angles," said Laukkanen.

Lori Barker, executive director the P.E.I. division of the Canadian Cancer Society, said the committee's goal is a better understanding of the issues on P.E.I.

Lori Barker - Custom
The committee will try to determine what is leading to higher incidence of cancer and higher death rates on P.E.I., says Lori Barker of the Canadian Cancer Society. (CBC)

"If it's to do with risk factors, if it's to do with early versus late detection, treatment," said Barker.

"Whatever the case may be, this group is really going to try to understand what's at play with those numbers."

Laukkanen said the committee plans to consult the public. Exactly how hasn't been decided yet. It will also look at standards in other provinces.

The goal is to submit a three-year strategy to government by June, along with at least one action project, probably aimed at lung cancer, by summer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 8:23 pm 
True Islander

I wonder if they will investigate RSO oil and treatments of cancer ?Prob not.

Cannabis For Infant's Brain Tumor, Doctor Calls Child "A Miracle Baby"
"They were putting cannabinoid oil on the baby's pacifier twice a day, increasing the dose... And within two months there was a dramatic reduction, enough that the pediatric oncologist allowed them to go ahead with not pursuing traditional therapy."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/0 ... 24898.html

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy

PostPosted: February 24th, 2014, 10:58 pm 

Gardiner wrote:
You make a good point and perhaps prevention is something that will come out of those public consultations.

I wouldn't expect much action on cancer prevention from the same people who make their living from diagnosis and treatment. Any action to prevent cancer will have to be individual efforts by you, me, and every Islander.

Any reduction in the 'toxification' of our earth, food, and water, will have to be driven by 'we the people'. Don't expect our 'leaders' to participate in any confrontation with agri-business.

Let's get started. Anyone here want to take the lead? I'm too old. :)

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 8:36 am 

Ex-racer wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

I wouldn't expect much action on cancer prevention from the same people who make their living from diagnosis and treatment. Any action to prevent cancer will have to be individual efforts by you, me, and every Islander.

Any reduction in the 'toxification' of our earth, food, and water, will have to be driven by 'we the people'. Don't expect our 'leaders' to participate in any confrontation with agri-business.

Ed

They don't get paid extra for more islanders to get cancer. They get a salary. Now if you meant those who research for a cure I'd see more argument for your case.

We need someone who doesn't come across as a nutjob to lead the charge for change. (Not meaning you, but while Labchuck type people do get heard, it weakens the fight as they are just brushed aside as being crazies)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 8:38 am 

Ex-racer wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

Ed

I don't think that is a fair statement. I've used the services provided by our local CTS and I have nothing praise for the work they do there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 10:02 am 
True Islander

Nomie wrote:
Ex-racer wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

Ed

They don't get paid extra for more islanders to get cancer. They get a salary. Now if you meant those who research for a cure I'd see more argument for your case.

We need someone who doesn't come across as a nutjob to lead the charge for change. (Not meaning you, but while Labchuck type people do get heard, it weakens the fight as they are just brushed aside as being crazies)

No,but don't they have a whole wing at the hospital dedicated to cancer? Hence the jobs,or loss of when people find out there are many cures.The science will be coming out now that a few places in the states are legalizing mj and hemp.People are flocking to Colorado now that mj is legalized and it's going to garner more support. As of now in the US the only way they can do the science on MJ is to prove it's harmful.But that will all change in future.
Just too much money to be made off the cancer industry.Sickness is a life long business,healthy people don't make money for corps.

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 10:18 am 

saherbal wrote:
Nomie wrote:
Ex-racer wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

Ed

No,but don't they have a whole wing at the hospital dedicated to cancer? Hence the jobs,or loss of when people find out there are many cures.The science will be coming out now that a few places in the states are legalizing mj and hemp.People are flocking to Colorado now that mj is legalized and it's going to garner more support. As of now in the US the only way they can do the science on MJ is to prove it's harmful.But that will all change in future.
Just too much money to be made off the cancer industry.Sickness is a life long business,healthy people don't make money for corps.

I can't believe I'm doing this. But Sarherbel, it COSTS money to treat cancer. The more cancer patients on the island the more it COSTS government to treat it. Would you rather they didn't have the doctors/equipment here to treat it and sent people off island instead. The staff gets paid the same amount each year regardless if they treat one person or one hundred. The government doesn't get kick backs for the number of patients they treat. In the states it could be different where health care is privatized, but not here in Canada.

Calm down on the hemp mojo. I'm not against MJ so stop preaching. Of course people are going to head to where its legal to posses it, they don't want to go to jail and they don't want to give up their MJ. Again, this is not the US, this is CANADA so your point is moot. The cancer center here is using federally approved treatments for cancer. More long term studies are needed before Canada will/can approve hemp oil as a treatment for cancer on a regular basis, they have a process they follow for good reasons. Until then, you can use it/pay for it on your own.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 10:57 am 

Gardiner wrote:
I don't think that is a fair statement. I've used the services provided by our local CTS and I have nothing praise for the work they do there.

I hope you haven't mistaken my comments as criticism of the 'front-line' people working in diagnosis and treatment. By all accounts they are doing an excellent job with the resources at their disposal.

My criticism is directed at the bureaucrats at Health PEI and the people that we've elected to 'lead' them - and us.

I'm particularly concerned about the possible connection between chemical pollution and cancer rates, given that PEI has a higher than average rate, and is also an agricultural area.

Ed

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 25th, 2014, 11:19 am 

Ex-racer wrote:
I hope you haven't mistaken my comments as criticism of the 'front-line' people working in diagnosis and treatment. By all accounts they are doing an excellent job with the resources at their disposal.

My criticism is directed at the bureaucrats at Health PEI and the people that we've elected to 'lead' them - and us.

I'm particularly concerned about the possible connection between chemical pollution and cancer rates, given that PEI has a higher than average rate, and is also an agricultural area.

Ed

I didn't really think so and we've suspected for years that there is a connection between our chemical pollution and Cancer rates, but apparently it's very difficult to prove. I really hope they do focus on prevention and take a stronger look at the suspected link between all chemical pollutants and Cancer rates.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 6:44 pm 
True Islander

Nomie wrote:
I can't believe I'm doing this. But Sarherbel, it COSTS money to treat cancer. The more cancer patients on the island the more it COSTS government to treat it. Would you rather they didn't have the doctors/equipment here to treat it and sent people off island instead. The staff gets paid the same amount each year regardless if they treat one person or one hundred. The government doesn't get kick backs for the number of patients they treat. In the states it could be different where health care is privatized, but not here in Canada.

Calm down on the hemp mojo. I'm not against MJ so stop preaching. Of course people are going to head to where its legal to posses it, they don't want to go to jail and they don't want to give up their MJ. Again, this is not the US, this is CANADA so your point is moot. The cancer center here is using federally approved treatments for cancer. More long term studies are needed before Canada will/can approve hemp oil as a treatment for cancer on a regular basis, they have a process they follow for good reasons. Until then, you can use it/pay for it on your own.

I only read 3 sentences you wrote because it like talking to a dead horse. There is TOO MUCH MONEY IN CANCER,meaning there is a whole industry devoted to cancer ,if it got out there were actual cures it would be over and all those jobs lost.Is that hard to understand?

Follow the money is my moto and you will see where corruption is.
My personal opinion i'd rather people make the oil to treat themselves saving millions of needless dollars wasted on snake oil sales men.

OK so we follow the process tell me how many people died taking RSO or smoking MJ? How long will this process take? How many people have to die before the process is over ? Do you mean to tel me the FED GOv is tell me what i can and cannot use to treat myself and how fair is that?

There are and more studies being made by the day ,how many more will Canada NEED TO MAKE SURE nobody DIES OF cannabis INGESTION. It was used for thousands of years even in Canada before it was put on the schedule whatever by some unknown person. So why is it so deadly now?
How many countries do you think are legalizing it around the world?

http://www.medicaljane.com/2013/12/18/s ... er-cells/#

1974 kills cancer Gov study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd= ... ds=1159836

British study
http://www.medicaljane.com/2013/10/14/b ... nabinoids-
may-combine-to-effectively-treat-cancer/

Harvard University,Apr 14-18, 2007
http://www.aacrmeetingabstracts.org/cgi ... eting/4749
Could go on and on and on. Why do they need more studies,other countries are already doing this.
More studies are a waste of tax payers money.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 8:15 pm 

saherbal wrote:
I only read 3 sentences you wrote because it like talking to a dead horse.

Now you know how we feel :lol:

Do you really believe that you have THE cure for cancer but are being held back from healing the world??

Quote:
OK so we follow the process tell me how many people died taking RSO or smoking MJ?

2 so far that we know of.

Quote:
Do you mean to tel me the FED GOv is tell me what i can and cannot use to treat myself and how fair is that?

You are free to treat yourself as you please but a responsible gov't has to protect the public from fake claims and scams.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2014, 10:24 pm 
True Islander

alandla wrote:
saherbal wrote:
I only read 3 sentences you wrote because it like talking to a dead horse.

Now you know how we feel :lol:

Do you really believe that you have THE cure for cancer but are being held back from healing the world??

Quote:
OK so we follow the process tell me how many people died taking RSO or smoking MJ?

2 so far that we know of.

Quote:
Do you mean to tel me the FED GOv is tell me what i can and cannot use to treat myself and how fair is that?

You are free to treat yourself as you please but a responsible gov't has to protect the public from fake claims and scams.

To the first question YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Watch this and see what the news caster says about big pharma.
while your at it google this name Dr Evangelos Michelakis
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=677_1354418535
to the second question NONE all have gotten well in one way or another.
listen to this. and why do you think the US GOV has 7 or more patents on MJ.
Rick Simpson - Full Interview (Uncut) - Radio Student Zagreb 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2vlyOCoGoY&hd=1

Quote:
Rona described a New York Times report showing the U.S. government's primary suspect in 542 deaths was P-r-a-d-a-x-a, a blood thinning agent. Health Canada issued an advisory in December based on new information that it's not to be used in patients with artificial heart valves. However, it has not removed P-r-a-d-a-x-a from the market.
That is just 1 drug that hasn't been taken off the shelf.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 12:09 am 

saherbal wrote:
to the second question NONE all have gotten well in one way or another

You obviously haven't looked at the other thread in this section.

While I won't defend or critique "big pharma", it really doesn't have much to do with whether or not MJ is THE cure.

You are basically telling me that all of the people who use the stuff, recreational, medicinal, whatever, are and will be cancer free.

And honestly, if that were indeed true, how do you think anything shy of an army could stop the masses from demanding this cure, especially given how readily it can be obtained.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 12:12 am 

saherbal wrote:
Quote:
Rona described a New York Times report showing the U.S. government's primary suspect in 542 deaths was P-r-a-d-a-x-a, a blood thinning agent. Health Canada issued an advisory in December based on new information that it's not to be used in patients with artificial heart valves. However, it has not removed P-r-a-d-a-x-a from the market.
That is just 1 drug that hasn't been taken off the shelf.

Stick to one topic at a time please.

It looks like you cannot defend yourself so instead you want to cloud the issue.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 9:16 am 

So when did the discussion of Cancer become a political one?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 11:13 am 

Gardiner wrote:

It is when some members of the tinfoil hat brigade continue to spew un-proven in-accurate medical advice that has the potential to serious hurt people.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 2:55 pm 

frdalton wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

It is when some members of the tinfoil hat brigade continue to spew un-proven in-accurate medical advice that has the potential to serious hurt people.

Unfortunately, that happens to a lot of good threads around here.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 5:51 pm 
True Islander

alandla wrote:
saherbal wrote:
to the second question NONE all have gotten well in one way or another

You obviously haven't looked at the other thread in this section.

While I won't defend or critique "big pharma", it really doesn't have much to do with whether or not MJ is THE cure.

You are basically telling me that all of the people who use the stuff, recreational, medicinal, whatever, are and will be cancer free.

And honestly, if that were indeed true, how do you think anything shy of an army could stop the masses from demanding this cure, especially given how readily it can be obtained.

Whoa, where did i say everyone would be cancer free? It's according HOW THEY USE IT. Smoking doesn't have the same effect as the oil. Like snorting pills doesn't have the same effect and taking them orally. Depends on the strain ,how well you make it and how well you follow the instructions,what type of MJ you use. There is a whole range of things to consider.
no 1 people are very skeptical
no 2 there are those out there that think this is crazy i won't mention names.
i could sow you oodles and oodles of articles of people that have been healed with this for a variety of diseases. But until you see someone with your own eyes you might refuse to believe it. But on the other hand a Doc gives you a pill to MANAGE your symptoms and you take that as gospel because that is what society has been trained to believe. If it doesn't come from a doc the are snake oil sales men.
Rick Simpson is a prime example 11 yrs no reoccurring cancer since he put the oil on his nose.
This is why Rick says make it yourself that way you know what u are getting. The Gov. as you can see in the news now is trying to structure it so a few people get to make the money. Who can afford half a million to start a grow op? Get real.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 5:53 pm 
True Islander

frdalton wrote:
Gardiner wrote:

Back up that statement.Because from where i'm sitting your statement is UN PROVEN.