* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Bureaucrats run wild - - -
PostPosted: February 29th, 2012, 11:02 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

betamaxman wrote:
If our society has degraded to that, where the meandering of a child can point an accusers finger at an innocent man and have him submitted to say even only an investigation, then things are really fudged up.

It got to that point at least 25 years ago.

When I was a foster parent, I remember intakes when a, let's say, 15 year old girl living in the country, far from her in-city regional school friends, would call social services and accuse a parent of some form of abuse. The child would immediately be placed in foster care (odds were that the foster home was in town ... if not, the child would strategize to be placed in a different foster home) while Dad and/or Mom were subjected to a lengthy investigation (which usually consisted of interrogations of co-workers, friends and neighbours ... a process that often had long lasting ramifications for the parents) until it was found that the child's accusation was false. Over the years, we had four such cases (and talking to other foster parents, we discovered we weren't the only ones with that kind of story to tell). At least with one of those four intakes, when the girl found out that our house had rules and curfews too, in the heat of an argument with us, she as much as admitted that she had falsely accused her father of sexual abuse simply so that she could be in town and party around the clock with her friends ... fortunately that admission came only on her second day with us and before the investigation of her father had started, so he was spared that embarrassment. We even had a case where an 11 year old put her parents though this wringer as a way of getting even with them because they wouldn't let her have a dog!

I realize that the above isn't directly pertinent to this particular incident ... I only relayed it to show how, in the broader picture, the reality that "a child can point an accusers finger at an innocent man and have him submitted to say even only an investigation" has existed for quite awhile now. It isn't a recent societal development.

But you can't ignore these "finger points", because in the overwhelming majority of cases, there is merit to the accusation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 29th, 2012, 12:53 pm 
True Islander

The fact still remains that even though the picture drawing and one sentence uttered by the child is all that was reported in the news story in all likelihood there would have been more questions and due diligence employed before escalating the circumstance. Do you all really think that the "facts" reported in one news story are the sum of all the facts in the case?

Reporters and those they interview have a way of framing a story for the effect they want. I am not saying one side of this argument or the other is correct but the amount of "armchair quarterbacking" going on here on both sides with negligible information is really quite silly.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2012, 9:52 pm 
True Islander

It's just a conversation, and yes based solely on the facts as they are presented in the story and our opinions concerning them. :)