Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Company that does home networking?
PostPosted: January 12th, 2016, 10:21 am 
Tourist

My wife and I built a home a few years ago and had it filled with cat5e ethernet cable throughout. However, none of said ethernet cable has been terminated with connectors. Are there any companies or people that do this sort of thing? Looking at having 10-12 connectors installed (maybe a few more). Tried google but no luck. Thanks in advance.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Company that does home networking?
PostPosted: January 12th, 2016, 10:28 am 
Almost an Islander

You can buy crimpers online to do it.
example: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=195 (they have like 10 to choose from). They'd also sell the ends.

Just make sure your order total is $20 or less before shipping. Takes 2 weeks for delivery.

Other locations probably sell the same items.

Just got to make sure all the wires go in the correct slots.

Try youtube for vids to show how.

Younger electricians might be able to do it.

If you don't have faceplates on walls for the ethernet, you'd probably want them installed as well to look nice. I assume you just have the bare cords hanging out of the wall in each room.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2016, 11:21 am 

Older electricians can do it too lol.

Most if not all electrical contractors have people to do this for you. Hansen Electric and Olympia Electric just to name a couple here in Charlottetown.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2016, 12:00 pm 
Tourist

Yeah, I order from Monoprice all the time (I actually have a shipment due any day). Think I will just order this kit off ebay and do it myself. $14 Canadian free shipping for crimper and tester. I offered $10.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RJ45-RJ11-RJ12-CAT5-LAN-Network-Cable-Tester-Crimper-Stripper-Tool-Kit-/221988912521?hash=item33af91fd89:g:rXMAAOSwLN5Wjxvl&autorefresh=true

The tester will come in handy as I have a lot of cables in my laundry room (where router is installed), in my home theater closet, and others scattered throughout. Can use tester to see which cable end belongs to what. Then I will place some kind of indicator on each end to know for future reference.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: January 13th, 2016, 1:06 pm 
True Islander

ajoyce wrote:
Yeah, I order from Monoprice all the time (I actually have a shipment due any day). Think I will just order this kit off ebay and do it myself. $14 Canadian free shipping for crimper and tester. I offered $10.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RJ45-RJ11-RJ12-CAT5-LAN-Network-Cable-Tester-Crimper-Stripper-Tool-Kit-/221988912521?hash=item33af91fd89:g:rXMAAOSwLN5Wjxvl&autorefresh=true

The tester will come in handy as I have a lot of cables in my laundry room (where router is installed), in my home theater closet, and others scattered throughout. Can use tester to see which cable end belongs to what. Then I will place some kind of indicator on each end to know for future reference.

Prime cables is pretty much the canadian site to go to for just about all the stuff that monoprice sells. If you go with monoprice though be sure to have it shipped usps to save any possible import fees.
Prime cables, canadian prices and shipping is free on orders over $45 cdn
A $9.99 crimper and tester pkg
Also the best way to go might be wall plates with keystone jacks. A very easy to diy the job and the little tool used to do it is usually free with the kit and they are also sold at home depot.
Keystone jacks are pretty neat and you can add more than just network jacks to them also audio coax, you name it, and so easy to use.
http://images3.cableorganizer.com/learn ... /step6.jpg
Use brackets like these to secure the wall plates to sheet rock, also at home depot.