Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I hate Bell Aliant and I am not going to take it any more
PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 8:49 am 
Almost an Islander

I have a cell phone, a home phone, internet connection and no frills. I barely use any of them. My monthly bill is $160. Every winter I add US coverage on my cell phone for a 6 week trip to Florida. Bell always messes the order up and we get into a war each spring. We are in one now. They are crooks.
Is there an alternative? Can I keep my phone numbers and go to a new carrier? If it makes any difference, I am 5 miles outside of Kensington in the country.

Post subject: Re: I hate Bell Aliant and I am not going to take it any more
PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 9:30 am 

Daleastern wrote:
I have a cell phone, a home phone, internet connection and no frills. I barely use any of them. My monthly bill is $160. Every winter I add US coverage on my cell phone for a 6 week trip to Florida. Bell always messes the order up and we get into a war each spring. We are in one now. They are crooks.
Is there an alternative? Can I keep my phone numbers and go to a new carrier? If it makes any difference, I am 5 miles outside of Kensington in the country.

What exactly is "messes the order up"? and there always alternatives and any of the competition could answer those questions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 10:08 am 
Almost an Islander

i DO know you can keep your numbers when you switch, i've done it with both home phone and cell (couldn't get away from Aliant quick enough).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 10:54 am 

townie2 wrote:
i DO know you can keep your numbers when you switch, i've done it with both home phone and cell (couldn't get away from Aliant quick enough).

So who did you switch to and how was the switch and would you do anything different?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 2:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

Gardiner wrote:
Daleastern wrote:

What exactly is "messes the order up"? and there always alternatives and any of the competition could answer those questions.

"messes the order up" means........ it is too long of a story to tell here, but for example:
Tells me one day I have used 79 minutes of my 100 minute plan and the next day says I am at 139 minutes.
Argues with me that I [or at least my phone] was in Ontario for a day
making a call when I know it was in my pocket in Florida.
After I return home and cancel my US plan they keep on charging.
All of the above were proven to be their fault and I get my credit but at what cost to me in time spent arguing.
The latest is I asked for 100 minutes per month US coverage on Feb 20. They gave me 100 text minutes. They have given me only partial credit back and are next to impossible to speak to on the phone. They act like they can't see the same statements that they have mailed to me. I asked where I could go speak to a representative face to face while showing them my statements. They sent me to their store at the County Fair Mall in Summerside. When I got there they said they couldn't debate any arguments over billing or offer any credits. I asked where to go next to talk to someone and she said nowhere. All I can do is phone again.
In 30 years of being in business myself this is the worst company I have ever dealt with, and I told her so.
So with that off my chest..... who do I switch to and keep my numbers?

PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 7:37 pm 

Daleastern wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
Daleastern wrote:

"messes the order up" means........ it is too long of a story to tell here, but for example:
Tells me one day I have used 79 minutes of my 100 minute plan and the next day says I am at 139 minutes.
Argues with me that I [or at least my phone] was in Ontario for a day
making a call when I know it was in my pocket in Florida.
After I return home and cancel my US plan they keep on charging.
All of the above were proven to be their fault and I get my credit but at what cost to me in time spent arguing.
The latest is I asked for 100 minutes per month US coverage on Feb 20. They gave me 100 text minutes. They have given me only partial credit back and are next to impossible to speak to on the phone. They act like they can't see the same statements that they have mailed to me. I asked where I could go speak to a representative face to face while showing them my statements. They sent me to their store at the County Fair Mall in Summerside. When I got there they said they couldn't debate any arguments over billing or offer any credits. I asked where to go next to talk to someone and she said nowhere. All I can do is phone again.
In 30 years of being in business myself this is the worst company I have ever dealt with, and I told her so.
So with that off my chest..... who do I switch to and keep my numbers?

I was hoping townie2 could chime in.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 17th, 2015, 7:46 pm 
Almost an Islander

Yes, I'm waiting for him too.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2015, 8:46 am 
Almost an Islander

for my home phone i switched to Eastlink of course, not much competition there, for cell, many years ago i started with Aliant (these are ALL pay as you go service, i've never had a contract), switched to Virgin, Bell bought Virgin service went down and prices went up so i did some research and went with Petro Canada Mobility (Rogers towers) keeping my cell number, and have been with them for years now, no complaints. i believe the other two services that were competitive with Petro price-per-minute wise were 7/11 which we don't have anymore, but you can buy time online with a credit card, and President's Choice via Superstore. as for plans, many say Eastlink is the cheapest, and i should add that my cell is unlocked, so io can switch to any service available here without buying a new cell.
http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/default.aspx
the only problem with Petro is there is only one station in Charlottetown that sells time cards, the one across from Burger King on the Avenue, but that's no problem for me a) i'm nly a few blocks from there and get my gas there anyway, b) i buy the $100 time cards, good for a year and you get a bonus $10
data is $10/month for 100 mb per month if you want it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: May 18th, 2015, 9:37 am 
Almost an Islander

Once I get my credit from Bell that I deserve I'll look into these choices.
THANKS
The best part will be telling Bell I'm leaving.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2015, 11:03 am 
True Islander

Koodo has a $28 plan that offers 200 anytime minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited anywhere in north america calling evening and weekends, evening starts at 5 pm, and 100mbs of data. Most basic phones such as a galaxy ace are either $150 out right or add a $5 tab to that $28 untill it is paid off. Easy to quit, pay off the tab and say good by.
https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans? ... Shop_Plans

PostPosted: May 19th, 2015, 10:41 pm 

Switched from Rogers to Eastlink, just had to go to eastlink store get everything set up and called Rogers to get my number released.
ps. Eastlink signed an agreement with two other cell companies to use their towers so that would give them their own and im assuming rogers and aliants towers coverage is great for me.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2015, 4:55 pm 
Almost an Islander

and it's cheaper in a bundle, the more Eastlink services you have, the cheaper your cell service.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 14th, 2015, 9:41 am 
Almost an Islander

I got my money ! The first 2 reps I spoke with were impossible. The last guy was real nice, I explained. He explained. We came to an agreement and a credit "should" show on my next statement. No problem.
Are they trained to be difficult for the first few phone calls and then give in?

PostPosted: June 14th, 2015, 11:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

I use Telus and have for years. Any issues I have had have quickly been dealt with.

As for cell phone, if I understand the new law correctly, Cell phone carrier contracts can no longer be any longer than 2 years and provided your cell phone is paid off, companies MUST unlock your phone at your request. It doesn't say if the company can charge you for this service.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/com100/2013/r130603.htm
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t15.htm

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 16th, 2015, 9:54 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

ewwfspirit wrote:
I use Telus and have for years. Any issues I have had have quickly been dealt with.

Ditto

ewwfspirit wrote:
As for cell phone, if I understand the new law correctly, Cell phone carrier contracts can no longer be any longer than 2 years and provided your cell phone is paid off, companies MUST unlock your phone at your request. It doesn't say if the company can charge you for this service.

Telus will unlock your phone for $35, no matter whether paid off or not.

Mrs. K and I both unlocked our new iPhone6's when we went to the Telus store to pick them up. Hadn't planned to, but the Telus package for U.S. roaming had increased in price by a ridiculous amount in a matter of months since we had last used the U.S. package ... and since we were headed to the States for nearly 5 months, we had to look at other options. With an unlocked phone, we could subscribe to Roam Mobility for a $20CAN/month (each) for a SIM card that gave us unlimited phone and text and free calling anywhere in North America with a bonus of having our own Florida phone # (people calling our Canadian number automatically forwarded to it).

Their ridiculous international roaming rates aside, I've been very happy with Telus.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 4:58 pm 
Almost an Islander

I'd thought I'd post here that a seasonal resident who gets aliant internet was paying $5 a month to keep the connection during winter months on hold (there is large waiting list to get internet where I am at since they won't upgrade the lines).

When he phoned to see about putting it on hold for winter to guarantee he can get internet again Aliant told him it would now be $20 a month to put on hold. He was very angry.

From what I read on this forum there are no real alternatives in the countryside. I'm not aware of any. There are the wireless ones but connection is worse than aliant which all we get is around 1.2 megabit.

PostPosted: August 28th, 2016, 9:46 am 
Almost an Islander

i lucked out a few months ago, PetroCanada had a limited time offer, 100 anytime Canada wide minutes and unlimited texting for $15/month prepaid. i was pay as you go and had their 100 mb addon for $10/month, just cancelled the $10 data addon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 28th, 2016, 4:00 pm 
True Islander

Presently you can get 100 minutes week days before 5, unlimited talk and ld canada week ends and after 5, unlimited any time text for only $25 at koodo. Either buy your phone out right or put it on tab. Quit any time if the phone is paid off. Presently they have a htc phone for a $3 a month tab x 20 months. As before pay the remainder off at any time is the only requirement for leaving and of course you keep the phone.
$25 Plan
HTC Desire $4 x 20 or $60 out right
Other phones.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2016, 8:07 pm 
True Islander

balkoth wrote:
I'd thought I'd post here that a seasonal resident who gets aliant internet was paying $5 a month to keep the connection during winter months on hold (there is large waiting list to get internet where I am at since they won't upgrade the lines).

When he phoned to see about putting it on hold for winter to guarantee he can get internet again Aliant told him it would now be $20 a month to put on hold. He was very angry.

From what I read on this forum there are no real alternatives in the countryside. I'm not aware of any. There are the wireless ones but connection is worse than aliant which all we get is around 1.2 megabit.
a lady i know threatened to go to the papers they soon hooked her up fast enough,btw isn't the the company that made a deal with the gov.? answer yes it is http://redlikeme.ca/denial-of-transpare ... cret-deal/

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...” Leo Tolstoy