PEIinfo Logo
  Top Banner

Listings Coming Soon
 
Home
* FAQ
* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 10:13 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
Looking for a cheap laptop, primary use will be to stream NHL game center through HDMI cable to my tv. I had used IPAD and Apple tv, but its nothing but a pure hastle, feezing, "unmirroring", constantly fighting with it.

I've decided to get rid of it and get something that works.

Any of you techies have any leads on a cheap( er) laptop that will do this, as well as perhaps just surf? Not looking to use this for any type of business use, or the like, just as I said, streaming and surfing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 10:28 am 
Offline
New Member

Joined: August 22nd, 2006, 12:32 am
Posts: 10
Define cheap? What is your total budget?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 10:34 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
My wife just bought one in the spring and paid a grand.

Im not looking to go that extreme, 350- 600. i heuss, I can recoup some of it wheni sell the Ipad and apple tv.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 11:04 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: February 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm
Posts: 1526
linetwig wrote:
Looking for a cheap laptop, primary use will be to stream NHL game center through HDMI cable to my tv. I had used IPAD and Apple tv, but its nothing but a pure hastle, feezing, "unmirroring", constantly fighting with it.

I've decided to get rid of it and get something that works.

Any of you techies have any leads on a cheap( er) laptop that will do this, as well as perhaps just surf? Not looking to use this for any type of business use, or the like, just as I said, streaming and surfing.

so your really looking to go from wireless to a wired connection with a HDMI connector? what are you paying for the stream NHL game center per game?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 11:05 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: September 20th, 2011, 8:18 pm
Posts: 4181
ASUS has been putting out some of the best products recently.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/ ... d85929en02


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 11:22 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
Gardiner wrote:
linetwig wrote:
Looking for a cheap laptop, primary use will be to stream NHL game center through HDMI cable to my tv. I had used IPAD and Apple tv, but its nothing but a pure hastle, feezing, "unmirroring", constantly fighting with it.

I've decided to get rid of it and get something that works.

Any of you techies have any leads on a cheap( er) laptop that will do this, as well as perhaps just surf? Not looking to use this for any type of business use, or the like, just as I said, streaming and surfing.

so your really looking to go from wireless to a wired connection with a HDMI connector? what are you paying for the stream NHL game center per game?

bought the season, all games, 150 i think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 11:23 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
Raiders wrote:
ASUS has been putting out some of the best products recently.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/ ... d85929en02

saw them, wasnt sure about reliabilty.

Reviews seem postive. will look further into it.

thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 11:35 am 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: July 25th, 2007, 5:10 am
Posts: 696
Location: Charlottetown
Quote:
when i sell the Ipad and apple tv.

My daughter wants to buy an iPad....how much do you want for it?

Maybe try the ROKU 3 for streaming. I hear great things about them. Similar to Apple TV except they have the bonus feature...It's Not Apple!!
$98 at Walmart. I'm going to get one for myself.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 12:19 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: February 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm
Posts: 1526
linetwig wrote:
Gardiner wrote:
linetwig wrote:
Looking for a cheap laptop, primary use will be to stream NHL game center through HDMI cable to my tv. I had used IPAD and Apple tv, but its nothing but a pure hastle, feezing, "unmirroring", constantly fighting with it.

I've decided to get rid of it and get something that works.

Any of you techies have any leads on a cheap( er) laptop that will do this, as well as perhaps just surf? Not looking to use this for any type of business use, or the like, just as I said, streaming and surfing.

so your really looking to go from wireless to a wired connection with a HDMI connector? what are you paying for the stream NHL game center per game?

bought the season, all games, 150 i think.

would it be easier and better picture quality to just order the Centre Ice package via your TV carrier?


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 12:29 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
In order to get center ice, I have to buy a whole bunch of useles other sports stations i hve no interest in getting. I also have to rent another box from eastlink ( actually 3) if i wish to watch games inany other room with a tv besides one.

Its about 40 bucks a month for center ice, and there are black outs. there are no blackouts with game center.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 12:40 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: February 25th, 2013, 8:36 pm
Posts: 1526
linetwig wrote:
In order to get center ice, I have to buy a whole bunch of useles other sports stations i hve no interest in getting. I also have to rent another box from eastlink ( actually 3) if i wish to watch games inany other room with a tv besides one.

Its about 40 bucks a month for center ice, and there are black outs. there are no blackouts with game center.


we pay four 49.99 installments, with no blackouts and no other sports stations required.......but we use Alliant's FibrOp


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 12:49 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
Gardiner wrote:
linetwig wrote:
In order to get center ice, I have to buy a whole bunch of useles other sports stations i hve no interest in getting. I also have to rent another box from eastlink ( actually 3) if i wish to watch games inany other room with a tv besides one.

Its about 40 bucks a month for center ice, and there are black outs. there are no blackouts with game center.


we pay four 49.99 installments, with no blackouts and no other sports stations required.......but we use Alliant's FibrOp

NOt an option for me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 3:12 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: August 23rd, 2005, 11:52 am
Posts: 11991
Location: Summerside
Can't you get NHL Gamecentre just with the Apple TV, instead of mirroring it from the iPad?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 3:22 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
no idea, but will check.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 1st, 2014, 5:21 pm 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: May 4th, 2008, 2:13 am
Posts: 6461
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/product/ ... 64664.aspx

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/121238696681?red ... 8066322089

_________________
Linux User 412309
openSUSE-KDE give it a try today
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 4th, 2014, 9:12 pm 
Offline
From Away

Joined: March 5th, 2012, 1:21 pm
Posts: 88
get a roku, under 100 bucks, streams HD to the TV, pretty sure it has the NHL channel on there.


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cheap laptop
PostPosted: January 4th, 2014, 9:44 pm 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: May 4th, 2008, 2:13 am
Posts: 6461
I think the app exists on all the streamers.

_________________
Linux User 412309
openSUSE-KDE give it a try today
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group