Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Installation costs for car stereo?
PostPosted: December 26th, 2013, 10:07 pm 
True Islander

I'm thinking of buying a car stereo for my 2007 Toyota Yaris so I can listen to my iPod. Any idea roughly how much it costs for installation? And does Enman's in Summerside sell car stereos?

Post subject: Re: Installation costs for car stereo?
PostPosted: December 26th, 2013, 10:29 pm 

Roughly $50 for install plus the cost of the deck, dash kit and wiring harness. All together probably looking at over $200...

No Aux input? Or an FM trans might be a cheaper option if its just the ipod ur mainly looking to listen to?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 26th, 2013, 10:54 pm 
True Islander

Double M wrote:
No Aux input? Or an FM trans might be a cheaper option if its just the ipod ur mainly looking to listen to?

Nope, no Aux input. And I tried an FM transmitter option in the past and hated it. The sound was awful.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2013, 11:06 pm 
True Islander

Instead of ipod control, why not take advantage of the fact that many new decks, if not indeed most new decks today also have usb ports in which you can insert usb drives even portable usb hard drives that you can place your media on. I have a JVC multimedia deck in my focus with a 64gb cheap usb drive plugged into it with the drive in my glove box, My 86 monte ss has a cheaper $99 on sale JVC deck with a front usb port that, you guessed it has another 64 gb usb drive. Have had both decks for a couple of years now with no problems and the mp3s on the drives play flawlessly at 320kbts, and I look forward to flac and other loss less support down the road. Most new cars have this feature included in the head units installed on them as well. Au revoir CDs and Ipods or other music players for music in my car. I just switch to the usb input on my deck via remote control and flip through the artist folders on the drive to what ever I want to listen to. And I don't have to worry about my ipod or phone left in my car or remember to connect it before I drive, the usb drive is always left connected in both cars.
A good Choice
Or this excelent choice

PostPosted: December 26th, 2013, 11:43 pm 
True Islander

betamaxman wrote:
Instead of ipod control, why not take advantage of the fact that many new decks, if not indeed most new decks today also have usb ports in which you can insert usb drives even portable usb hard drives that you can place your media on. I have a JVC multimedia deck in my focus with a 64gb cheap usb drive plugged into it with the drive in my glove box, My 86 monte ss has a cheaper $99 on sale JVC deck with a front usb port that, you guessed it has another 64 gb usb drive. Have had both decks for a couple of years now with no problems and the mp3s on the drives play flawlessly at 320kbts, and I look forward to flac and other loss less support down the road. Most new cars have this feature included in the head units installed on them as well. Au revoir CDs and Ipods or other music players for music in my car. I just switch to the usb input on my deck via remote control and flip through the artist folders on the drive to what ever I want to listen to. And I don't have to worry about my ipod or phone left in my car or remember to connect it before I drive, the usb drive is always left connected in both cars.
A good Choice
Or this excelent choice

I never thought of this before. That's a great idea.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2013, 7:07 am 
From Away

USB is definitely a winner.

Enman's sells Kenwood car stereos.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2013, 6:11 pm 
True Islander

CND_NASCAR_FAN wrote:
USB is definitely a winner.

Enman's sells Kenwood car stereos.

Enman's didn't have much selection today, just three to choose from. Plus they don't install car stereos.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2013, 9:48 pm 
True Islander

See what FS wants. The installation of a head unit is pretty basic, especially when they use a factory matching wire harness and good quality face plate. The wiring harness is usually soldered to the car decks wiring harness first making installation a simple bolt in plug and play. Pretty hard to mess it up. Also Try DC auto electric, pretty good bunch of guys.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2013, 5:11 pm 
True Islander

Chris grandjean used to do all Hirtles installations... guy was a master at it. Not sure if he still does it, but something tells me he was still doing the odd one.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2013, 6:35 pm 
True Islander

Ended up buying this unit from Futureshop. They couldn't install it until Jan 10 though so I'm going to call some places in Summerside tomorrow.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2013, 8:02 pm 
True Islander

Looks like a nice head unit.
Things to consider, if you decide to use a usb drive.
It usually needs to be formatted in fat32
That unit states that it has a rear usb port, you might want to have your drive ready with music and have the installer insert it in the rear of the unit first, or better yet connect a usb cable with a male end for connecting to the deck and a female end for the usb drive, with the female end being placed in your glove box, or hanging below the dash along the floor hump. This way you can have access to the drive and it can remain always connected, and you have the front usb port should you want to use your ipod or iphone or a second usb drive for temporary files.
Amazon has some cheap cable choices