Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Route 2 internet
PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 1:50 pm 
Almost an Islander

Anyone using Route 2 for internet service? Thoughts on the service?
Just had my last 60 minute phone call with Bell Aliant. Called on November 15th to cancel landline, but wanted the number ported to a cell phone, and to keep the internet. That call was 60 minutes with 4 different individuals. At that time I was informed there was a 30 day cancellation policy. I told them that would be fine and that I would pay the extra 30 days ($35) to ensure the number was ported. All seemed good when the number was ported after 7 days, but today we get a bill with an extra $87/+ tax for an early cancellation fee. So I call them today and ask what the hell this charge is for and they tell me it's because I cancelled before 30 days. I said no I didn't the number was ported, and I was given a new number for internet service and that I had agreed to pay the extra $35 charge for the initial phone line. I told them to check the account notes because I specifically asked that the request was documented. After an hour and 4 different individuals again they agreed to cancel the $87 charge. Now they want to charge me an extra $10 per month for internet because we no longer have another active bell service. I tell them I do since I have Bell Expressvu. They say that doesn't count, has to be a bell aliant service. I tell them their Fibre Op TV service is not available where we are so the $10 should be waived. Not only do they not bite they also want $3.95 a month for the wireless modem since we no longer have a bundle. I tell them I have had this modem for 8 years and I'm not interested in paying $50 a year for the modem. They offer a new modem, and I say no thanks this one works fine. I ended the call after telling them the internet will be cancelled if there is a modem charge on my account. Internet in the bundle was priced at $59/+ tax per month. Now they want $73/+tax for the same service. Route 2 has a $39 and $59 plan I am interested in.

Post subject: Re: Route 2 internet
PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 2:40 pm 

Depending on what internet service you did have from aliant Route 2 won't be as fast. I used them years ago but they would put too many people on one wireless receiver/array and speeds were terrible. They also had a lot of network issues (receivers/array from each pole not lined up properly, shitty equipment, no redundancy etc) but they were working towards resolving those when I stopped using them. This would be approx 6 years ago.

If you have trees surrounding your property you also wont' get a good connection. Or if you are in a land hollow. Its very dependant on line of sight from their towers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 4:52 pm 
Almost an Islander

We are at the top of a road on 2 acres. No trees higher than 6 ft within 150 ft of the house. My current speeds with bell aliant are:
d/l 1.5 Mbps
u/l 0.5 Mbps
Route 2 can't be worse can it?

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 8:24 pm 
Almost an Islander

Incognito4now wrote:
We are at the top of a road on 2 acres. No trees higher than 6 ft within 150 ft of the house. My current speeds with bell aliant are:
d/l 1.5 Mbps
u/l 0.5 Mbps
Route 2 can't be worse can it?

Last time I was on wireless (different provider), it was a bit slower and much less reliable.

Bell can gouge rural islanders thanks to ghiz gov giving them a monopoly with no tender.

When we told bell we wanted our satellite cancelled, they kept pushing for the "put on hold for 6 months". We had a 15 year old satellite receiver. Originally they wanted to charge us ~$10 a month to do so, but eventually waived the fee. Then our 6 month period was coming to an end so we phoned up to completely cancel. Eventually they graciously allowed us to cancel. Then a month later they sent us out sat bill for the month ($90 for basic programming lol) even though we said we were cancelled. After a bunch of bulls**t, they cancelled it, but we still had to pay. That was about $200 later after we told them we wanted it cancelled.

We just use aliant internet 1.5mb down, for netflix and have a $30 antenna for cbc/ctv/global.

Aliant are scum. $60 a month before tax for rural islanders to get 1.5mb download. Thankfully(?) we use their landline phone so don't have to pay the extra $10 for internet.

They didn't even deliver on the "all islanders on high speed by end of year" when it was announced. 1.5mb down isn't even high speed nowadays because I can barely stream 480p video.

I highly doubt route2 will be faster than aliant.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 11:58 pm 
Almost an Islander

balkoth wrote:
Then a month later they sent us out sat bill for the month ($90 for basic programming lol) even though we said we were cancelled.

It was the same for my wife when she cancelled our Expressview. She called to cancel in the first week of a February, they said you must give a month cancellation noticeso she gave it. That day our service was stopped and we got the bill in March for the next month. When she called to inquire, they said she needs to give a month notice. She gave the notice again. This continued until November, we paid all the bills as they came in AND then they sent our December bill to a collection agency. The agency sorted it out for us and the billing stopped.

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 10th, 2013, 8:32 am 

http://route2.pe.ca/internet/packages/compare/community/

This page lists their speeds. Keep in mind you will never ever reach their listed speeds because they put too many people on one array and you share the bandwidth with everyone on it. So at peak times (after school until bedtime) you will have a loss in speed.

Profile E-mail