Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Improving wifi (have an Eastlink wifi modem/router)
PostPosted: October 26th, 2013, 3:55 pm 

Just looking for any advice or info as my 12 year old daughter with her new IPod touch has informed me that our wifi "sucks" :roll:

I have had Eastlink's wifi with the Motorola Surfboard wifi modem/router all in one unit for a few years now.

My computer is in the bonus room above our garage (second floor) in the farthest corner of the house. Unfortunately, our living room is on the first floor on the opposite end of the house :lol:

I don't want to move the modem to a more central part of the house as it is connected to the desktop and my priority is to have optimum internet connection on that.

I did purchase a wireless router from Monoprice a year ago (set it up on the first floor) and bridged it to see if that would boost the signal. However my daughter is not impressed :lol: .

But to be fair, I have found that wireless reception on my IPad is sketchy as well.

I guess what I'm wondering is if much more can be done or am I limited given the layout of the house and the wifi modem/router equipment. Besides the Ipad or Ipod touch products, I have never thought much about wireless streaming to the TV from sites like Netflix as I felt that it would just be too frustrating.

Anyway, any advice or experience with Eastlink's wifi would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Improving wifi (have an Eastlink wifi modem/router)
PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 5:40 am 

I can feel your WiFi pain. :(

At my house, last month, I went from an older Eastlink Modem & my old Linksys wireless router to the new Eastlink Motorola Surboard wireless modem.

On all wireless computers\Wii I found the Internet speed decreased & Netflix is so slow with the Eastlink WiFi modem.

In my case I think it is because my wireless devices are all G, vs the newer N. And that is what Eastlink will tell you.

I've tried to tweak the laptops with new drivers\setting, but no speed change. I haven't tried to tweak the modem yet as I've been too busy.

Also review wise, people are finding the same issues as we both are having and are blaming the crappy NetGear WiFi parts that are incorporated in the Eastlink \Motorola modem.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 10:45 am 

We seem to be having drop out issues more often than not as well.

My daughter sat in front of the modem and still lost WiFi connection with her IPod Touch.

The computer that is wired to the modem, though, never seems to have issues.

I think that it's mostly the modem, although I'm not letting the Apple products completely off the hook either. :lol:

I debate switching to FiberOp but from what I see from their HD TV channel selection, Eastlink seems to have them beat and I prefer better HD selection since I can still use my desktop for most of my internet needs.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 11:15 am 
True Islander

Buy an asus or netgear router especially a model that supports gargoyle, or dd-wrt firmware and either use it in place of the eastlink router or in bridge mode or as a second access point with the same ssid and login as the eastlink, but in a different part of the house.
HomerJ wrote:
also review wise, people are finding the same issues as we both are having and are blaming the crappy NetGear WiFi parts that are incorporated in the Eastlink \Motorola modem.

"Crappy netgear parts?" Never heard of such things.
This is an excellent router and is supported by most 3rd party firmwares
More info
$69 at FS but if you can find it cheaper on line FS will usually match the price.
This at staples is virtually the same router with out the gigabit ports.

Last edited by betamaxman on October 27th, 2013, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 11:33 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

I had a similar issue with the signal "dropping out", or from time to time just being slow, when I first went to an Eastlink wireless modem/router last year. I called Eastlink tech support and they remotely "changed the channel" on it and I haven't had a problem since.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 11:36 am 
True Islander

That can work, or simply set the Chanel to 'auto' and let the router find the channel that is free for you.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 12:32 pm 

Quote:
"Crappy netgear parts?" Never heard of such things.

This is just what I had read on a few reviews of the Motorola router that Eastlink uses...

My old Linksys Wrt54g with my old non- WiFi Eastlink|Motorola was easily faster on the WiFi connected laptop and maybe on the Wii that we use for Netflix..

After I called in to Eastlink tech support, & I made a few adjustments to the modem ( as directed by the Techs on line), Eastlink basically just blamed the G Wifi card on the computer.

Hardwired to my desktop or the laptop, my Eastlink Internet speeds are close to what is suggested by the ip.

I just assumed :oops: that Eastlink would be using a Wifi modem that was suitable for most general residential applications?

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 12:37 pm 

alandla wrote:
We seem to be having drop out issues more often than not as well.

My daughter sat in front of the modem and still lost WiFi connection with her IPod Touch.

The computer that is wired to the modem, though, never seems to have issues.

I think that it's mostly the modem, although I'm not letting the Apple products completely off the hook either. :lol:

I debate switching to FiberOp but from what I see from their HD TV channel selection, Eastlink seems to have them beat and I prefer better HD selection since I can still use my desktop for most of my internet needs.

Have you phoned Eastlink tech. support? And what did they suggest?

The Bell| Eastlink battle is on and both companies are keen to retain or gain customers. Perhaps this is an angle you can use to get your issues resolved?

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 12:52 pm 

betamaxman wrote:
Buy an asus or netgear router especially a model that supports gargoyle, or dd-wrt firmware and either use it in place of the eastlink router or in bridge mode or as a second access point with the same ssid and login as the eastlink, but in a different part of the house.

I did buy a 300 MBPS wireless N broadband router from Monoprice to set up in a different part of the house and followed their instructions to bridge it but I haven't seen much difference either way (not better, not worse).

I'm not quite as comfortable with playing with the network settings as I am with other PC hardware issue.

What is the difference between a second access point (SAP) and bridging? Wouldn't an SAP require a second modem as well as a second router?

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 12:56 pm 

HomerJ wrote:
Have you phoned Eastlink tech. support? And what did they suggest?

The Bell| Eastlink battle is on and both companies are keen to retain or gain customers. Perhaps this is an angle you can use to get your issues resolved?

I haven't talked to them yet as I wanted to see if it was common enough that either I could find a fix myself, or find out that there is no fix as it's just an Eastlink issue.

It hasn't been terribly annoying for me as I prefer the desktop (which has been great with lots of download speed) over my IPad anyway so I haven't been getting too worked up over it.

But now that my daughter is being inconvenienced......... :lol:

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 1:19 pm 
True Islander

alandla wrote:
What is the difference between a second access point (SAP) and bridging? Wouldn't an SAP require a second modem as well as a second router?

No you won't need a second router.
There are lots of tutes such as this one.
Basically they are much the same, but there is only a benefit if they are some distance apart. If the two routers are in the same location you won't see much if any real difference.
The only real benefit really is it will increase the range, ie better cover or immerse the entire house with wifi with one router in one end or area of the house and the second just before the first router range starts to drop off.
Also try raising the routers height closer to the rooms ceiling.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 6:09 pm 

betamaxman wrote:
alandla wrote:

No you won't need a second router.
There are lots of tutes such as this one.
Basically they are much the same, but there is only a benefit if they are some distance apart. If the two routers are in the same location you won't see much if any real difference.
The only real benefit really is it will increase the range, ie better cover or immerse the entire house with wifi with one router in one end or area of the house and the second just before the first router range starts to drop off.
Also try raising the routers height closer to the rooms ceiling.

Now I remember reading about this and why I hadn't considered it.

It requires running the Ethernet cable between the routers, which I wasn't prepared to do (or more precisely, my wife wasn't too keen on having 50 feet of cable running along the walls).

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 6:21 pm 
True Islander

Well if a wireless bridge is not working for you then another access point is something to consider. However you could also try power line av, a pair of 200 mbs units can be had for less then $60 if running cable under floor is not suitable.
This set is under $40
Setup is as easy as plugging one into an electrical outlet, and the other into an outlet where the other router is to be located.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 6:41 pm 

betamaxman wrote:
Well if a wireless bridge is not working for you then another access point is something to consider. However you could also try power line av, a pair of 200 mbs units can be had for less then $60 if running cable under floor is not suitable.
This set is under $40
Setup is as easy as plugging one into an electrical outlet, and the other into an outlet where the other router is to be located.

I agree that a second access point would be a better solution, just not handy (or neat) running cable through the floor/ceiling/wall :?

This does look like a nice option.

I was wondering if I could somehow make use of the extra coax wall outlets where the second router is located downstairs?

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 6:43 pm 

BTW, I was reading and replying to these posts on my IPad downstairs so I do get WiFi.

It just seems to be so erratic/unreliable.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2013, 7:28 pm 

well I just spoke with Eastlink's tech support.

She recommended taking away the second router bridge and unplugging my Surfboard modem for 30 seconds to reset it.

Then she changed the channel for me to 9 and enabled the passthroughs.

Not sure what the passthroughs are.

I asked about setting the channel to auto but she says that is worse, mainly because it almost always settles on 1 anyway (which I suppose isn't actually worse, just not any better).

Now we just try it for a few days and see if things improve.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 7:56 am 

Not sure if this was mentioned yet or not.

Years ago I ended up with a shitty modem with Wifi. The computer that was wired in had no speed issues, but like you the wireless connection sucked.

I got a good router from future shop and wired that into my modem. I turned wireless off the modem and used the routers wifi instead. Didn't have an issue after that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 1:42 pm 

It's hard to tell if I'm seeing improvement yet. We did ssem to find it working better in the first few days but then this past week end, we had connectivity issues and slow speeds again.

I did notice yesterday that Eastlink is now selling a "WIFI booster" for $40 that you plug into an available electrical outlet.

Has anyone had any experience with these?