* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: I-Pad
PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 1:31 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

ariadne wrote:
Armetis wrote:
ariadne wrote:
If you have Shoppers Optimum points that you can use the Acer Android tablets are on sale in this week's flyer. Just FYI

Oh wow.....I do have a bunch of points! Thanks so much. This may be something to start with and if it doesn't work out, we can look at an iPad then. :D

The reduced price starts Saturday and the store at the corner of Allen and University usually has the best selection of electronics.

I bought my 10 inch tablet there and being that I could pay for it with pretend money made it much easier to justify buying myself a tablet when I already had several other devices which could do the same things :lol:

If this doesn't work out......you're coming to the store with me next time! :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 1:43 pm 
Almost an Islander

I'm sure you'll do fine!

But, just a note, if you don't have a lot of optimum points (like 50,000 or more) you might be better off getting one at Walmart. Shopper's price is not rock-bottom low - its being able to use optimum point that make it a good deal, so if you don't have many you might find a better deal elsewhere.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 5:01 pm 
True Islander

alandla wrote:
IPad's do not allow flash video.

I suspect eventually that will be a non issue (HTML 5?) but I've run into problems not being able to play video in my IPad version 1.

It's already a non issue as far as I'm concerned. I rarely encounter this issue now. Most websites understand that any tablet traffic coming to their website is likely to be from an iPad and so they have it in a format that works for iPads.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 6:41 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

ariadne wrote:
I'm sure you'll do fine!

But, just a note, if you don't have a lot of optimum points (like 50,000 or more) you might be better off getting one at Walmart. Shopper's price is not rock-bottom low - its being able to use optimum point that make it a good deal, so if you don't have many you might find a better deal elsewhere.

Yes - we have well over 50000! Thanks!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 26th, 2013, 8:02 am 
From Away

ariadne wrote:
Armetis wrote:
OuWestIslander wrote:
Ipads have a lot of limits.

How so?

I'm not psychic so this is just a guess based on my own experience and I don't mean to answer for the OP :-)

The main limit IMO is how you have to put content on the device. If you want to add pictures, music, audiobooks, ebooks, etc. you essentially need to go through iTunes. And as iTunes gets finicky when you plug your device into more than one computer I've found it only works well when you have a computer that has your entire iTunes library and no one else using it :lol: My son and I both were using the same iTunes program and our music libraries (his teenage whatever and my audiobooks) kept getting mixed up and onto each other's devices.

With android you can just put things on a memory card and plug it into your device or even drag and drop files from any computer (doesn't have to be one particular one like iTunes) onto your tablet.

I remember one time when my son wanted to add some things to his iPhone he ended up emailing each file to himself as he couldn't find his computer power cord. So, personally, I find having to use iTunes for all file management to be a limitation.

Thats pretty much it, and no flash support

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 9:23 am 
True Islander

OuWestIslander wrote:
ariadne wrote:
Armetis wrote:
OuWestIslander wrote:

How so?

I'm not psychic so this is just a guess based on my own experience and I don't mean to answer for the OP :-)

The main limit IMO is how you have to put content on the device. If you want to add pictures, music, audiobooks, ebooks, etc. you essentially need to go through iTunes. And as iTunes gets finicky when you plug your device into more than one computer I've found it only works well when you have a computer that has your entire iTunes library and no one else using it :lol: My son and I both were using the same iTunes program and our music libraries (his teenage whatever and my audiobooks) kept getting mixed up and onto each other's devices.

With android you can just put things on a memory card and plug it into your device or even drag and drop files from any computer (doesn't have to be one particular one like iTunes) onto your tablet.

I remember one time when my son wanted to add some things to his iPhone he ended up emailing each file to himself as he couldn't find his computer power cord. So, personally, I find having to use iTunes for all file management to be a limitation.

Who. Cares.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/adob ... droid-4-1/

Adobe gave up that fight.

Nobody should use flash for web page design. It is terrible.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 9:42 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

ariadne wrote:
If you have Shoppers Optimum points that you can use the Acer Android tablets are on sale in this week's flyer. Just FYI

Thanks ariadne. Picked one up on Saturday....only cost us 50 bucks!!! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 1:47 pm 
Tourist

socktan wrote:
OuWestIslander wrote:
ariadne wrote:
Armetis wrote:
OuWestIslander wrote:

How so?

Who. Cares.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/adob ... droid-4-1/

Adobe gave up that fight.

Nobody should use flash for web page design. It is terrible.

I fully agree with the flash argument - it's a has been software program and it's going away just like MS DOS did.

iPad can sync wirelessly with iTunes so it's easy and convent to keep everything updated. App updates can also be done wirelessly and automatically if you choose to. I also like the Apple ecosystems - no need to be swapping memory cards back forth between different Apple devices and computers. Are we still in the 70's when memory cards were used to move data between different devices?

As you can tell I like Apple products and their ecosystems. However, everyone has to decide what's best for them. As I see it, the only real downside to Apple products is that they are more expensive than other solutions out there. Your mileage may vary.

-- Bill --

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 4:22 pm 
Almost an Islander

Mermaid wrote:
it's going away just like MS DOS did.

Not a good analogy as geeks and freaks will tell you :lol:
(more's the pity :( )

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 5:01 pm 
Tourist

Justin O'Brien wrote:
Mermaid wrote:

You will always find some people who will prefer the old (MS DOS), and the different (Unix).

Just look at the number of Android users out there. :D I say this in good fun but seriously, the Apple ecosystem is not for everyone, and the same goes for the Android. Everything has it's warts and it's up to you to decide what's best for yourself.

Hope this doesn't get into a pissing contest - that is not my intention.

Cheers!

-- Bill --

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 5:43 pm 
Almost an Islander

Armetis wrote:
ariadne wrote:

Thanks ariadne. Picked one up on Saturday....only cost us 50 bucks!!! :D

That's great! If you try it and find that android isn't your preference at least you didn't spend a lot.

Hope you enjoy it :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2013, 8:16 pm 
Almost an Islander

Mermaid wrote:
Justin O'Brien wrote:
Mermaid wrote:

You will always find some people who will prefer the old (MS DOS), and the different (Unix).

Just look at the number of Android users out there. :D I say this in good fun but seriously, the Apple ecosystem is not for everyone, and the same goes for the Android. Everything has it's warts and it's up to you to decide what's best for yourself.

Hope this doesn't get into a pissing contest - that is not my intention.

Cheers!

-- Bill --

No worries. Not mine either. I just mean that some older geeks might think MS DOS is alive and well.

As for Android... I am giving it the old college try.

As far as the "iPad" question from the OP, I think whatever was least expensive was the best option. From a couple of reviews on the Surface RT vs iPads it came down to whatever your planned use was. For someone who wanted a PC experience they suggested the RT, for mostly media it was the iPad, and if it was just for stuff like this, e-mail, social networking etc, the least expensive of the latest OS was recommended. Sounds like the $50 tablet is exactly right.

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail