* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I-Pad
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 8:32 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Looking for the good, bad and the ugly about I-Pads.

Or are there other tablets that that you would recommend?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: I-Pad
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 10:21 am 
From Away

Ipads have a lot of limits. Go with a good android tablet. I have an Ipad and a $98 Hipstreet Flare. I use the Flare. Android is way better and the browser doesn't crash all the time like my Ipad.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 10:59 am 
Almost an Islander

My son has an iPad and I have 2 andoid tablets (Acer Iconia's) so I did a bit of comparison. My son also has an iPhone (and keeps upgrading as new ones come out) so he preferred the iPad as he's familiar with the platform and he has several friends that use facetime.

When I was trying to decide I opted for android for a few reasons:
- they have a memory card slot for micro sd cards and since I have more than 160gb of audiobooks I didn't want to be connecting to iTunes all the time whenever I needed to put different books in my library. I priced iCloud but it was too expensive for the amount of storage I wanted.
- the price was considerably less (and I used Shoppers Optimum point to buy one of them so aside from the tax, it was essentially free :-))
- although it doesn't have facetime for calling home when I'm in the US, skype seemed to work fine and I could still call everyone who has iPhones and iPads.

But as with any electronic device, which one is best for you depends on what you plan to do with it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 11:05 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

ariadne wrote:
My son has an iPad and I have 2 andoid tablets (Acer Iconia's) so I did a bit of comparison. My son also has an iPhone (and keeps upgrading as new ones come out) so he preferred the iPad as he's familiar with the platform and he has several friends that use facetime.

The reason I was leaning towards an iPad.

ariadne wrote:
When I was trying to decide I opted for android for a few reasons:
- they have a memory card slot for micro sd cards and since I have more than 160gb of audiobooks I didn't want to be connecting to iTunes all the time whenever I needed to put different books in my library. I priced iCloud but it was too expensive for the amount of storage I wanted.
- the price was considerably less (and I used Shoppers Optimum point to buy one of them so aside from the tax, it was essentially free :-))
- although it doesn't have facetime for calling home when I'm in the US, skype seemed to work fine and I could still call everyone who has iPhones and iPads.

But as with any electronic device, which one is best for you depends on what you plan to do with it.

Thanks for the info! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 11:06 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

OuWestIslander wrote:
Ipads have a lot of limits.

How so?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 2:52 pm 
Almost an Islander

Armetis wrote:
OuWestIslander wrote:
Ipads have a lot of limits.

How so?

I'm not psychic so this is just a guess based on my own experience and I don't mean to answer for the OP :-)

The main limit IMO is how you have to put content on the device. If you want to add pictures, music, audiobooks, ebooks, etc. you essentially need to go through iTunes. And as iTunes gets finicky when you plug your device into more than one computer I've found it only works well when you have a computer that has your entire iTunes library and no one else using it :lol: My son and I both were using the same iTunes program and our music libraries (his teenage whatever and my audiobooks) kept getting mixed up and onto each other's devices.

With android you can just put things on a memory card and plug it into your device or even drag and drop files from any computer (doesn't have to be one particular one like iTunes) onto your tablet.

I remember one time when my son wanted to add some things to his iPhone he ended up emailing each file to himself as he couldn't find his computer power cord. So, personally, I find having to use iTunes for all file management to be a limitation.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 3:12 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Thanks! :D

My daughter has an iPod right now, and I have a laptop so I am not very familiar with tablets. She thinks that an iPad would be perfect, but I want to make sure that it would be user-friendly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 6:19 pm 
True Islander

Armetis wrote:
Thanks! :D

My daughter has an iPod right now, and I have a laptop so I am not very familiar with tablets. She thinks that an iPad would be perfect, but I want to make sure that it would be user-friendly.

It's very user friendly. Your daughter shouldn't have any troubles with it if she has an iPod.

The biggest downfall for iPads is the price. They are very expensive compared to other tablets.

Personally, I wouldn't consider any other tablets because I like the Apple eco system. I've never had any issues with my browser crashing, and that's with an iPad 2. It's starting to get a bit more sluggish but I've got no problems with mine.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 9:03 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Thanks craiger. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 9:09 am 

It's "iPad", not "I-Pad" or "Ipad"

They are pricey, but they are the most-loved tablets by a number of metrics:

- they are outselling other tablets quite handily, despite the price.
- they represent the VAST majority of tablet web traffic -- far more than simply their representative market share of the tablet market.
- app downloads. Nobody beats the App Store for selection and ease.
- native apps. iPad has more native apps than other tablets. This makes a huge difference, because you shouldn't be stuck using a scaled up phone app on such a large screen.

Worth every penny, IMO.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 10:12 am 

IPad's do not allow flash video.

I suspect eventually that will be a non issue (HTML 5?) but I've run into problems not being able to play video in my IPad version 1.

I do like it's ease of use.

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 10:16 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

alandla wrote:
IPad's do not allow flash video.

I suspect eventually that will be a non issue (HTML 5?) but I've run into problems not being able to play video in my IPad version 1.

I do like it's ease of use.

[It's "iPad", not "I-Pad" or "Ipad"] :P :P

She plays youtube videos on her iPod with no problems. Where would we run into "flash" videos? (As you can tell - I'm really not up on this stuff. :oops: )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 10:55 am 
Almost an Islander

You might get some more relevant info if you give us an idea of what you want to do with whichever tablet you buy.

Is it just for checking email, facebook, watching youtube, etc.?
Are there photos, music or videos that you already have/own that you want to put onto the tablet or do you expect to buy/download most of the things on the tablet?
Do you need it to be able to text or make Facetime calls to someone who already has an iDevice?
Do you think you'll need a lot of storage space (such as the ability to add extra memory cards)?

Those are a few of the questions that might help to decide which one would be best for you.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 11:56 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

ariadne wrote:
You might get some more relevant info if you give us an idea of what you want to do with whichever tablet you buy.

Are there photos, music or videos that you already have/own that you want to put onto the tablet or do you expect to buy/download most of the things on the tablet?
Do you need it to be able to text or make Facetime calls to someone who already has an iDevice?
Do you think you'll need a lot of storage space (such as the ability to add extra memory cards)?

Those are a few of the questions that might help to decide which one would be best for you.

It's mostly for "playing". Email, Facebook etc., apps for sure. There will be photos and music to go on the tablet.

No texting - but my daughter does Facetime with her bestie on her iPod now. (which she can still use if we don't get an iPad)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 12:00 pm 

adamfreeland wrote:
It's "iPad", not "I-Pad" or "Ipad"

They are pricey, but they are the most-loved tablets by a number of metrics:

- they are outselling other tablets quite handily, despite the price.

This year android tables are outselling iPad by huge margin.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 68221.html

Quote:
- they represent the VAST majority of tablet web traffic -- far more than simply their representative market share of the tablet market.

You might be looking at some flawed data. For web usage stats I often see numbers coming from advertising companies. They gather data based on online ad impressions and browser identification. Android browsers are flexible in the way they identify themselves, allowing user to select whether to identify as "desktop" browser (my preferred choice) or mobile browser. Additionally android users often block both in-app and web browser ads so they never become part of those stats.

Quote:
- app downloads. Nobody beats the App Store for selection and ease.
- native apps. iPad has more native apps than other tablets. This makes a huge difference, because you shouldn't be stuck using a scaled up phone app on such a large screen.

I used to use iPad and I currently use android tablet. I do not see much difference in choices from Apple and Google Play stores. Android users do have benefit of installing apps from third parties too.

There is something to be said about finding and installing apps too. You can search and install android apps by clicking on the link in your desktop browser and you do not need itunes.

There are uses and users out there for both tablets. I admire Apple for initial innovation but I see Samsung as the new king of tablet market and even home entertainment (Samsung SmartTV + tablet + phone + watch ).

I prefer android because:
- no Itunes
- no ads (in app or in browser)
- easy finding and installing apps on PC
- third party app sources
- split screen (two apps at a same time in one screen with drag / drop)
- choice of different keyboards (almost all with keyboard arrows)

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 12:20 pm 
Almost an Islander

Armetis wrote:
ariadne wrote:

It's mostly for "playing". Email, Facebook etc., apps for sure. There will be photos and music to go on the tablet.

No texting - but my daughter does Facetime with her bestie on her iPod now. (which she can still use if we don't get an iPad)

From what you're planning to use it for, it sounds like you could go with either iPad or Android and be perfectly happy. It is when you have some strange requirement (like my desire to store 160gb of audiobooks :wink: ) or absolutely have to have Facetime that the choice is easier to make.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 12:25 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Thanks everyone!

Hopefully I'll sound somewhat knowledgeable at the store. :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 12:34 pm 
Almost an Islander

If you have Shoppers Optimum points that you can use the Acer Android tablets are on sale in this week's flyer. Just FYI

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 12:44 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

ariadne wrote:
If you have Shoppers Optimum points that you can use the Acer Android tablets are on sale in this week's flyer. Just FYI

Oh wow.....I do have a bunch of points! Thanks so much. This may be something to start with and if it doesn't work out, we can look at an iPad then. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2013, 1:28 pm 
Almost an Islander

Armetis wrote:
ariadne wrote:

Oh wow.....I do have a bunch of points! Thanks so much. This may be something to start with and if it doesn't work out, we can look at an iPad then. :D

The reduced price starts Saturday and the store at the corner of Allen and University usually has the best selection of electronics.

I bought my 10 inch tablet there and being that I could pay for it with pretend money made it much easier to justify buying myself a tablet when I already had several other devices which could do the same things :lol:

Profile E-mail