Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: The US Netflix??
PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 6:34 pm 

gooddog wrote:
Rats...can't figure out how to set the dns on my bluray. I can get to the correct screen but can't input the numbers. Sigh. Now I will have to google to find manual online. Sigh again.

Often TVs and dvd players have two options for "Interet Settings" - "automatic" and "manual". When you have "automatic", your device gets: IP address, Netmask and DNS server(s) numbers automatically from DHCP (your router). You might have to record those numbers and then switch to "manual" and re-enter them in case they clear out. For DNS enter DNS numbers from "unblock" provider you selected.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 7:11 pm 
Almost an Islander

gooddog wrote:
When I set up my netflix I had to use the password I use to access my ISP router.

You must have been overwhelmed at this point. NetFlix would not have any knowledge of your router and this was unneccessary. But it is easier and not a real issue.

- Jesus of Nazareth, Matt. 26:52

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 12th, 2013, 10:40 am 
Almost an Islander

Rats...can't figure out how to set the dns on my bluray. I can get to the correct screen but can't input the numbers. Sigh. Now I will have to google to find manual online. Sigh again.[/quote]

Often TVs and dvd players have two options for "Interet Settings" - "automatic" and "manual". When you have "automatic", your device gets: IP address, Netmask and DNS server(s) numbers automatically from DHCP (your router). You might have to record those numbers and then switch to "manual" and re-enter them in case they clear out. For DNS enter DNS numbers from "unblock" provider you selected.[/quote]

Alrighty!!! We have liftoff!! Last questions---1)since I'm using the Unblock-us dns # on my bluray only will I be billed by them? How will they know? Not that I mind paying, I just can't figure out how they can find me since my pc is not involved.
2) I just realized that my cousin, who helped me set up netflix, set an actual netflix password that is unique--the is a good thing, right?
3) anything else I should do?

You've been very helpful sasha, thanks very much. =D>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 12th, 2013, 11:59 am 
Tourist

sasha wrote:
Mermaid wrote:
Can "static routes" be used instead of dnsmasq?

-- Bill --

I assume you think of listing hosts and associated IP addresses rather then using dynamic DNS from third party. It is possible, but, depending on services you want to access, it might take you a while to get going with it as the list of host names is not public.

Sometimes this could be easy. For an example to access raditaz.com the only thing you would need is to "kill off" api.wipmania.com (point it to 127.0.0.1).

Sometimes it gets much harder. For an example these are domains that are involved into "handshake" with Netflix: netflix.com,netflix.net,nflximg.com,nflxext.com. I do not know which host names are being used there, it could be movies.netflix.com or account.nflximg.com or ... you could use traffic sniffer and find out exact host names. You would then have to point correct hostnames to correct proxy servers. "unblock" service providers often have multihomed machines, so they will have proxy server on ip address x.x.x.1 listening for some domanis and proxy server on ip address x.x.x.2 listening to others. In case anything changes in netflix setup or proxy server addresses get rearranged you would have to troubleshoot all that - I found it to be too much work.

The way those things work is that they will break just minutes after popcorn is ready and by the time you get it fixed it is bed time. That is why I moved away from DIY and from free services, such as tunlr.net. You pay $5 a month to someone and things just work - again, I use unblock-us.com and so far I had nothing to complain about.

Thanks for the detailed reply sasha.

Looks like unblock-us.com may be the ticket.

Cheers!

-- Bill --

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 12th, 2013, 12:07 pm 

gooddog wrote:
Alrighty!!! We have liftoff!! Last questions---1)since I'm using the Unblock-us dns # on my bluray only will I be billed by them? How will they know? Not that I mind paying, I just can't figure out how they can find me since my pc is not involved.

I am really not sure - they send you email few days after you sign up for their service that allows you to create password and setup monthly payments. I guess if you find at one point they block you, you can go to their site with PC, sign up and pay. I am a bit stupid that way, I like paying for things I appreciate even when there might be ways around it. If you do use PC to create an account there, just ignore everything they say about setting up PC - you do not need it as you do not use it to access US content.

Quote:
2) I just realized that my cousin, who helped me set up netflix, set an actual netflix password that is unique--the is a good thing, right?

That is good. It is always good to use different password for different services, or at least for different groups of services that fall in the same "security level".
Quote:
3) anything else I should do?

You've been very helpful sasha, thanks very much. =D>

You are welcome.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2013, 7:45 am 

To access US Netflix all you need is a US based DNS server. Google's DNS server is 8.8.8.8 which you can set as your primary DNS server on your router.

Accessing other US services such as Hulu require a VPN.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2013, 1:11 pm 
Tourist

virtual_zero wrote:
To access US Netflix all you need is a US based DNS server. Google's DNS server is 8.8.8.8 which you can set as your primary DNS server on your router.

Accessing other US services such as Hulu require a VPN.

How do you go about setting up the specific traffic to go to that Google DNS ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2013, 6:32 pm 
True Islander

Depends on your router, as sasha has pointed out usually one that accepts third party firmwares such as dd-wrt, tomato, or gargoyle.
Or a second non wireless router setup for the google dns with the devices connected to only it.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2013, 7:51 pm 
Almost an Islander

I've just been using google chrome and the media hunt add on for US netflix. Thats on my laptop and my PC upstairs. No fiddling required.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 18th, 2013, 3:56 am 
Newly Created Account

For me, setting up streaming VPN was the easiest thing and then watching hulu in Australia is as simple as launching a browser on my smartphone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 20th, 2013, 10:32 pm 
Almost an Islander

onechunkymonkey wrote:
Just go to http://currentdns.unotelly.com and input the to ips as your DNS ips. It is suppose to be a paid service but for some reason they have left this URL unprotected.

Someone was asking me if I knew how to get them American Netflix and I remembered there was this site. What they want to know is:

How does this perform the job... does it send IP addys to your XBox or PS3 etc, does it change them on your router, does it act as your American DNS for you or none of the above? I know a couple of people who use it or a site like it and they have no idea. For them "it just works".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 21st, 2013, 9:03 am 
True Islander

Unotelly dns servers will not work unless you have signed up with them.
You still have to manually input the dns numbers but they are pretty reliable. You don't have to change the often.
Overall I found their service to be pretty good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 21st, 2013, 9:41 am 
Almost an Islander

So you'd input the DNS IP#'s into the device itself instead of the router?

I'm being asked whether I recommend the service and I figgered to learn about it some instead of just telling them to go pound sand. Dunno why, but people who know me just assume I'm expert at everything that I know nothing about and become miffed If I admit ignorance. Learning seems to be the easy out.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 21st, 2013, 1:24 pm 
True Islander

That is how I set it up Justin.
I was running Netflix US on an Xbox and two computers and I set up the DNS on each console separately.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: December 21st, 2013, 4:45 pm 
True Islander

Depends on the service you want, us dns works with netflix but won't with other services such as hulu, for which you will need a vpn service such as unblock us or what have you.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2013, 5:02 pm 

Justin O'Brien wrote:
onechunkymonkey wrote:
Just go to http://currentdns.unotelly.com and input the to ips as your DNS ips. It is suppose to be a paid service but for some reason they have left this URL unprotected.

Someone was asking me if I knew how to get them American Netflix and I remembered there was this site. What they want to know is:

How does this perform the job... does it send IP addys to your XBox or PS3 etc, does it change them on your router, does it act as your American DNS for you or none of the above? I know a couple of people who use it or a site like it and they have no idea. For them "it just works".

When your computer, or other devices, "asks" its DNS server about "account.netflix.com" that DNS servers will return addresses for "account.netflix.com" designated for the US users. If you access that instance of "account.netflix.com", netflix assumes that you are in the US.

Some other services, like hulu plus, for an example, need the actual request to come from US IP address. For those services, your requests are sent via proxy server with US address.

The biggest problem with these services is that once you start using their DNS servers, you use them for ALL your network requests, including your facebook, papal, email login and this forum. It is not inconceivable that they quietly collect your personal information and account credentials.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2013, 6:49 pm 
Almost an Islander

Thanks. I guess it's OK to suggest the service if their internet usage is entertainment only. Manually entering the DNS IP on the device would be preferable in all other cases. Erring on the side of caution doesn't expose you to any more risk than TOS agreement reprisals.

I was hoping the service would either give you the address to key in manually or access your device and automagically update the primary & secondary addy's. It won't ease my mind any to recommend it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 5th, 2014, 8:16 am 
True Islander

Anyone tried this free service?
https://hola.org/

Profile E-mail