Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The US Netflix??
PostPosted: October 6th, 2013, 8:36 pm 
Almost an Islander

I was wondering if anyone has tried those services that charge $5/mth to 'unblock' your DNS (IP address) in order to access the US Netflix? Any difficulties or troubles with your server?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The US Netflix??
PostPosted: October 6th, 2013, 8:42 pm 

I don't pay for a service, I just change the DNS numbers on my device (PS3)...haven't had any problems with it, and it is free.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2013, 8:55 pm 

tunlr.net is free, but for netflix your IP has to be "whitelisted". More info on that is on their site. I found that from time to time their proxy would be unenviable, but it is hard to complain about free service.

I use unblock-us.com (for netflix, hulu plus, pandora ....) and I think it is worh $5 per month.

Whichever service you use I would suggest not to use their DNS servers for all the domains. These services are run by technically skilled people that are in already shady business and giving them ability to redirect your network requests might not be the best idea ever. On tunlr.net forums there is info about using their DNS for only specific domains (netflix, pandora and other domains you actually want redirected) and the same info applies to unblock-us.com

PostPosted: October 7th, 2013, 6:20 pm 
Almost an Islander

Just go to http://currentdns.unotelly.com and input the to ips as your DNS ips. It is suppose to be a paid service but for some reason they have left this URL unprotected.

-Confucius

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 10:35 am 
Almost an Islander

Whichever service you use I would suggest not to use their DNS servers for all the domains. These services are run by technically skilled people that are in already shady business and giving them ability to redirect your network requests might not be the best idea ever. On tunlr.net forums there is info about using their DNS for only specific domains (netflix, pandora and other domains you actually want redirected) and the same info applies to unblock-us.com[/quote]

So if I just want to unblock my DNS only for Netflix using Unblock-Us.com I can do that? It doesn't unblock my entire domain? I think I'm saying that right...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 10:45 am 
Almost an Islander

I should also say I'm accessing Netflix thru a bluray connected to my PC. Does this make a difference? I'm such a luddite :?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 11:27 am 

gooddog wrote:
Quote:
Whichever service you use I would suggest not to use their DNS servers for all the domains. These services are run by technically skilled people that are in already shady business and giving them ability to redirect your network requests might not be the best idea ever. On tunlr.net forums there is info about using their DNS for only specific domains (netflix, pandora and other domains you actually want redirected) and the same info applies to unblock-us.com

So if I just want to unblock my DNS only for Netflix using Unblock-Us.com I can do that? It doesn't unblock my entire domain? I think I'm saying that right...

If you have no technical skill this might sound a little bit complicated, but with some patience just about anyone should be able to do it. Your every day $30 cisco or dlink router often has much more potential than what it has with the default firmware (software running on the router). Projects like dd-wrt (which I use), OpenWRT and Tomato allow you to turn that $30 router into network server. One of the benefits is that such server can be used to provide DNS service to all devices on your network. That is achieved using dnsmasq service running on it. That is "fake" DNS which can intercept your DNS requests and route them to specific locations or to the other DNS servers.

I would configure dnsmasq to intercept only requests to netflix, hulu, mtv, pandora ... and send them to unblock-us.com (just for an example) DNS server. Their server will provide fake address back to your computer. The address will point to proxy server in the USA rather then to pandora.com. Your login data will go to that proxy server which will redirect it to pandora.com making it seem as if it is also coming from USA. Note that proxy server owner has the ability to capture and analyze any data travelling through it.

In short, get a router that is listed as supported here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database (Do check wiki links for the router to make sure that installation process is nice and simple).

After installing and configuring the router, passwords, etc., enable dnsmasq service with something like this (this is using single unblock-us DNS server - you would use DNS server from the provider you selected):
Code:
strict-order
server=/pandora.com/208.122.23.22
server=/hulu.com/208.122.23.22
server=/cbs.com/208.122.23.22
server=/abc.com/go.com/208.122.23.22
server=/tv.com/208.122.23.22
server=/pbs.com/208.122.23.22
server=/vevo.com/fwmrm.net/208.122.23.22
server=/thewb.com/208.122.23.22
server=/cwtv.com/208.122.23.22
server=/crackle.com/208.122.23.22
server=/last.fm/208.122.23.22
server=/turntable.fm/208.122.23.22
server=/mog.com/208.122.23.22
server=/iheart.com/208.122.23.22
server=/netflix.com/208.122.23.22
server=/netflix.net/208.122.23.22
server=/nflximg.com/208.122.23.22
server=/nflxext.com/208.122.23.22
server=/api.wipmania.com/208.122.23.22
server=/sony.net/208.122.23.22
server=/lastfm.es/208.122.23.22
server=/unblock-us.com/208.122.23.22

Now, all your devices, phones, tablets, smart tvs .... should have access to US content. We have over 10 devices here and it would be pain if we would have to configure each one of them separately.

Btw, while you can easy get $30 router at futureshop which can easy do everything above, I found those just don't last too long or reboot too often.

I have very good experience with this one: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6833320038 It has great hardware specs also has USB port so you can plug USB drive in it and use it as network drive (great for backing up all your devices).

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 1:40 pm 
True Islander

Doing this with a second router rather than your main connection may be preferable to some rather than allowing sensitive traffic such as banking through such services.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 1:48 pm 

betamaxman wrote:
Doing this with a second router rather than your main connection may be preferable to some rather than allowing sensitive traffic such as banking through such services.

The point of dnsmasq in this setup is to send DNS requests for specific specified domains to non-trusted DNS server. All other requests go through your preferred DNS - probably your ISP, the same as they did before.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2013, 6:47 pm 
Almost an Islander

There may be a problem here. My router/modem is rented from Eastlink....can I still do this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 2:39 am 
Tourist

Can "static routes" be used instead of dnsmasq?

-- Bill --

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 9:51 am 

gooddog wrote:
There may be a problem here. My router/modem is rented from Eastlink....can I still do this?

You would get a new router and connect eastlink's one to it as "uplink". All your devices, wired and wireless would be connected to your router.

Alternatively, if you have computer that is always-on, you could use it as DNS server. In that scenario you would setup dnsmasq service on that computer and you would enter its IP address as DNS server on eastlink's router configuration screen. Personally, I like using my own router and use eastlink/aliiant just as an uplink. I do have more than 4 wired devices and network backup drive is kinda big deal for me.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 10:11 am 

Mermaid wrote:
Can "static routes" be used instead of dnsmasq?

-- Bill --

I assume you think of listing hosts and associated IP addresses rather then using dynamic DNS from third party. It is possible, but, depending on services you want to access, it might take you a while to get going with it as the list of host names is not public.

Sometimes this could be easy. For an example to access raditaz.com the only thing you would need is to "kill off" api.wipmania.com (point it to 127.0.0.1).

Sometimes it gets much harder. For an example these are domains that are involved into "handshake" with Netflix: netflix.com,netflix.net,nflximg.com,nflxext.com. I do not know which host names are being used there, it could be movies.netflix.com or account.nflximg.com or ... you could use traffic sniffer and find out exact host names. You would then have to point correct hostnames to correct proxy servers. "unblock" service providers often have multihomed machines, so they will have proxy server on ip address x.x.x.1 listening for some domanis and proxy server on ip address x.x.x.2 listening to others. In case anything changes in netflix setup or proxy server addresses get rearranged you would have to troubleshoot all that - I found it to be too much work.

The way those things work is that they will break just minutes after popcorn is ready and by the time you get it fixed it is bed time. That is why I moved away from DIY and from free services, such as tunlr.net. You pay $5 a month to someone and things just work - again, I use unblock-us.com and so far I had nothing to complain about.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 1:58 pm 

sasha wrote:

If you have no technical skill this might sound a little bit complicated, .....

Now, all your devices, phones, tablets, smart tvs .... should have access to US content. .....

Thank you for this sasha. I can't believe I forgot about this, here I was trying to think of a way to get my Wii to connect to US netflix. BINGO. Thanks again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 3:51 pm 
Almost an Islander

sasha wrote:
gooddog wrote:

You would get a new router and connect eastlink's one to it as "uplink". All your devices, wired and wireless would be connected to your router.

Alternatively, if you have computer that is always-on, you could use it as DNS server. In that scenario you would setup dnsmasq service on that computer and you would enter its IP address as DNS server on eastlink's router configuration screen. Personally, I like using my own router and use eastlink/aliiant just as an uplink. I do have more than 4 wired devices and network backup drive is kinda big deal for me.

Thank you sasha for being so patient with me. I am slowly starting to understand this. So eastlink's router run's thru the new one. My blu-ray accesses netflix thru the new router. I think what this means is to change the network settings on the blu-ray to the new ones offered thru unblock-us.com. Is this correct? Did I miss a step?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 9th, 2013, 4:35 pm 

gooddog wrote:
sasha wrote:
gooddog wrote:

Thank you sasha for being so patient with me. I am slowly starting to understand this. So eastlink's router run's thru the new one. My blu-ray accesses netflix thru the new router. I think what this means is to change the network settings on the blu-ray to the new ones offered thru unblock-us.com. Is this correct? Did I miss a step?

If the only device with which want to access netflix is that blue-ray player, just use DNS settings from any "unblock" service right on that blue-ray player - no need to complicate things as long as you do not use that player to access stuff like your email or facebook or bank account. People often use the same password for everything, do NOT use that password for your netflix account.

My suggestions in the above posts apply when you have more than one device (PC, laptop, tablet, phone...) accessing different services (netlifx, pandora, hulu) and/or one of those devices needs access to other private things (email, bank account, facebook).

PostPosted: October 10th, 2013, 7:45 am 
Almost an Islander

sasha wrote:
gooddog wrote:
sasha wrote:
gooddog wrote:

If the only device with which want to access netflix is that blue-ray player, just use DNS settings from any "unblock" service right on that blue-ray player - no need to complicate things as long as you do not use that player to access stuff like your email or facebook or bank account. People often use the same password for everything, do NOT use that password for your netflix account.

My suggestions in the above posts apply when you have more than one device (PC, laptop, tablet, phone...) accessing different services (netlifx, pandora, hulu) and/or one of those devices needs access to other private things (email, bank account, facebook).

Aha. When I set up my netflix I had to use the password I use to access my ISP router. Never thot this would be an issue. Thanks for the warning.
Um...unblock-us downloads on my PC (I presume). I do my banking, email, etc on my PC and only want my blu-ray to have access to netflix. But I think you are saying that I use the dns settings they give me to punch into the blu-ray.
So...the blu-ray will have different dns than my router...how will it work? Oh, wait...do I have to have the pc on so that unblock-us is running?
Geez I feel dumb :oops:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 10th, 2013, 1:39 pm 

gooddog wrote:
sasha wrote:
gooddog wrote:
sasha wrote:
gooddog wrote:

Aha. When I set up my netflix I had to use the password I use to access my ISP router. Never thot this would be an issue. Thanks for the warning.
Um...unblock-us downloads on my PC (I presume). I do my banking, email, etc on my PC and only want my blu-ray to have access to netflix. But I think you are saying that I use the dns settings they give me to punch into the blu-ray.
So...the blu-ray will have different dns than my router...how will it work? Oh, wait...do I have to have the pc on so that unblock-us is running?

You are correct, your blue-ray will have DNS settings different then your router. As the only thing you access with blue-ray player is netflix, that is fine. Your PC and your router are not part of this at all.

You do not have to use unblock-us - there are other similar services and some might be free. If you do use it, unblock-us does NOT have to be downloaded or installed, you just have to use their DNS numbers in your blue-ray. The same is true for any other similar service.

There is nothing to feel dumb about. Different people have aptitude for different things. I do not drive.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2013, 7:33 pm 
From Away

I use unblock-us.com as well. Love it! I like the fact I can change regions so I can watch Netflix UK or Mexico etc. $5 month covers all your devices. I even have it installed on my iPod. I have an HDMI adapter that I plug it into and watch Netflix on my TV without "sacrificing" my PC. Their support is excellent as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 11th, 2013, 6:21 pm 
Almost an Islander

sasha wrote:
gooddog wrote:
sasha wrote:
gooddog wrote:
sasha wrote:
gooddog wrote:

You are correct, your blue-ray will have DNS settings different then your router. As the only thing you access with blue-ray player is netflix, that is fine. Your PC and your router are not part of this at all.

You do not have to use unblock-us - there are other similar services and some might be free. If you do use it, unblock-us does NOT have to be downloaded or installed, you just have to use their DNS numbers in your blue-ray. The same is true for any other similar service.

There is nothing to feel dumb about. Different people have aptitude for different things. I do not drive.

Rats...can't figure out how to set the dns on my bluray. I can get to the correct screen but can't input the numbers. Sigh. Now I will have to google to find manual online. Sigh again.

Profile E-mail