* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: VOIP on PEI
PostPosted: August 29th, 2012, 1:10 pm 
From Away

Hi all;

Looking for VOIP providers, with local numbers or without, that people are using on PEI. Looking to switch over business phones to VOIP, about 20-25 lines. If anyone has VOIP, are you using Aliant or Eastlink as your ISP?

Post subject: Re: VOIP on PEI
PostPosted: August 30th, 2012, 11:19 am 
From Away

Are you running your own pbx or using something hosted through Aliant/Eastlink (i.e.centrex lines)? Do you do mostly inter-office calling or do all lines dial out (either local or long distance)?

I know Vonage offers business service on the island with local numbers, but it sounds like you're looking for a hosted PBX solution with inter-office calling/dialing out capabilities.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: August 30th, 2012, 12:43 pm 
From Away

current setup is pbx. Yes, all phones dial out. no separate numbers, all on extensions.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2012, 11:00 am 

It may be economical to go with a wholesale provider like Voice Network, although they do not offer PEI DIDs, only toll-free numbers. Fine if most calls are outbound, though. About 4c/min inbound to the toll free. Minimal monthly charges.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2012, 11:51 am 
From Away

What model PBX are you running? Does it support SIP? Might be worthwhile to consider SIP trunk provider that may carry local DID's.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 1st, 2012, 3:50 pm 

Bigg wrote:
What model PBX are you running? Does it support SIP? Might be worthwhile to consider SIP trunk provider that may carry local DID's.

I'm not aware of any providers with local DID's - closest I can find is Halifax. If you find one let me know

PostPosted: September 6th, 2012, 9:13 am 
From Away

http://www.iristel.ca
http://www.voicemeup.com

According to their sites have local DID/Number transfer service.

I was thinking about checking out VoiceMeUp next month after work dies down and continuing my experimenting to switching to my own pbx (freepbx or asterisk) at home.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 6th, 2012, 9:38 am 

Bigg wrote:
http://www.iristel.ca
http://www.voicemeup.com

According to their sites have local DID/Number transfer service.

I was thinking about checking out VoiceMeUp next month after work dies down and continuing my experimenting to switching to my own pbx (freepbx or asterisk) at home.

I used them a long time ago... they didn't have DID's then. I found the service a bit spotty. No idea if it's improved. I'll go grab a DID and try again.

For now I use Flowroute - and that appears good. I'll give the DIDs a go at lunchtime

PostPosted: September 6th, 2012, 10:10 am 
From Away

Let me know how it goes and thanks for the heads up on Flowroute.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 8th, 2012, 9:30 am 
Newly Created Account

I have used VoiceMeUp and their customer service is lacking. I had a one way audio issue using their PSTN forwarding and they could not help me. This wasn't on my end as I wasn't even using a PBX and just using their "forward to phone" feature.

I am now happily using Anveo (anveo.com) using FreeSwitch. They are cheaper than VoiceMeUp as well.

YMMV

PostPosted: September 28th, 2012, 1:48 pm 
Newly Created Account

VoipMeUp is pretty useless. Very expensive (for VOIP) and pretty bad customer service.

I use them for a St. John, NB VoIP number, only because they seem to be the only company selling DIDs.

For the best pricing and service, you have to look outside Canada, unfortunately. However, you can get REALLY good deals and excellent service.

The best pricing for Charlottetown DID (Direct Inward Dial) VoIP telephone numbers is from http://www.anveo.com. If you need 25 DIDs, their pricing is even lower than what I'm about to tell you. Anveo is based in NYC. You can buy DIDs (phone numbers) for most of the world from them.

For a Personal account (not business), for $2.00 a month, you get a phone number with unlimited inbound calls (not metered). For outbound service, they are about $0.015 (1.5 cents) a minute for calls anywhere in North America and some of Western Europe (even cheaper to the UK).

I'm sure you can port your existing numbers to them. If you have a SIP PBX, this should be pretty straightforward.

If you are an average joe, not a tech head, and want to use Anveo, you'll need either a SIP Phone or an Analog Telephone Adapter. Best deals these days is the Obhai 110 or 100, which you can get on Amazon for cheap money.

I'm an Anveo customer (as well as VoiceMeUp, Voip.ms and many others).

BTW, I'm a Maritime expat living in the Northeast US; I'm in PEI every summer and plotting the day within the next few years when I'll move to the island.

I'm also available for VoIP consulting if any of you are trying to make VoIP happen in PEI. (I used VoIP exclusively this summer on my Bell Aliant 1.5/768 DSL line and it was great.)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 28th, 2012, 1:55 pm 
Newly Created Account

BTW, Flowroute (www.flowroute.com) only offers 902-703 numbers, which are Halifax numbers owned by CLEC LES.Net. They have great $0.098/min outbound callsing services, though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: March 8th, 2015, 10:39 pm 
Newly Created Account

It is a little bit late answer to the question, but I know two companies which they provide VoIP services to PEI. Vonage is a good one. I think you already should have heard about them on TV. I was with them for many years and were very satisfied. But I recently changed to FRESO Connect. It is also a great company. The reason that I changed was first, they don't bind you into contract. Second, their business service is much more professional than Vonage. Third, they send you the phone turn key and it works with Wi-Fi. They even setup my auto attendant with a famous voice artist for free. Not to mention their 14.99 per employee price for unlimited calls. However, before considering FRESO Connect, be ready for only chat support:(. I mostly don't mind the online chat support, but sometime I really want to talk to some human being, but you can't find it with them. I have a friend in Toronto who uses Rin Central. He says the quality is okay but the price is little bit tricky.

Good luck with your research.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 18th, 2015, 2:42 pm 
Newly Created Account

Check http://voip.ms

They got 902 DIDs and half a penny a minute.

Profile E-mail