Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The PEIinfo Tech Deal Thread
PostPosted: September 30th, 2013, 9:36 am 
True Islander

That is a great price, link doesn't work though.
Never had an external drive that didn't work with my wd tv. What model is it?

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2013, 11:34 am 
Tourist

It's a WD TV Live HD Media player...it's about 5-6 years old. The external drive used to work on it when we originally got it but not anymore. Perhaps there's too much data on the drive now for the player. I use jump drives now and have no issue.

Sorry about the link...here's the description of the DVD player with USB:

Sylvania HDMI DVD Player will not only play all your videos, it will convert it up to 1080P High Definition standard. This means you will be sure to have the clearest picture on your TV! As an added bonus, there is a built-in USB Port, which allows you to play all your favorite digital media directly from a USB memory stick! This feature will bridge the connection from your entire digital archive of TV shows, movies, music, home videos etc, and allow you to play it right on your TV! The DVD player has a sleek finish to it, making it the perfect choice for any TV!
HDMI DVD player
USB Port
2 Channel Output
Progressive Scan
Coaxial/Video/Y/PB/PR
Compatible with DVD/CD-DA/CD-R/CD-RW/MP3/HDCD JPEG/KODAK Picture CD
Full Function Remote Control
Different level lock, Fragment selection
More than 500 lines Definition

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 24th, 2013, 5:23 pm 
True Islander

HOTTT!!!-BOXEE BOX (refurb) $76.49 or only $56.49 free shipping from staples.ca!
Used a 20% off $75 coupon (the paper kind you get with a staples order) I had and actually got it for $56.49 with free shipping, $64.40 after hst.
Ya I know it's discontinued and that dlink refuses to open it up for third party firmwares but there is hope and some hacks floating around. I figure as simply something to play with it is worth it. And I can return it to staples if the refurb proves to be a dud.
http://www.staples.ca/office/supplies/StaplesCategoryDisplay?catalogId=20051&interceptedCatEntryId=786597&identifier=BI650993&langId=1&storeId=20001

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 1:48 pm 
Almost an Islander

Love our Boxee. Used to be able to airplay any video/audio from Apple products but now only audio seems to work. Still love it for anything else we throw at it. I haven't DL'd the hacks as it still works fine for us as is.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 2:18 pm 

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/M ... Deal-Nov25

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 7:14 pm 
True Islander

That's a great price on the xios, love my pivos aios with third party firmware. The xios is said to shine with xbmc installed.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 7:17 pm 
True Islander

peibarry wrote:
Love our Boxee. Used to be able to airplay any video/audio from Apple products but now only audio seems to work. Still love it for anything else we throw at it. I haven't DL'd the hacks as it still works fine for us as is.

Look forward to getting mine and playing with it.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2013, 9:25 am 
Almost an Islander

Well you probably are capable of going into it a little deeper than I do so be sure to post or share any secrets or tricks. I wish I could figure out the video air play feature rather than using the boxee YouTube app.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 27th, 2013, 7:41 pm 
True Islander

Will do, but was really thinking more in the line of trying third party firmwares or hacks.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 6:26 pm 
True Islander

Need a flat screen tv wallmount. How's $24.99 with free shipping, and 2 free hdmi cables. Act fast as deal ends tonight.
123 ink, prime cables

PostPosted: January 26th, 2014, 5:51 pm 
True Islander

Bought this 60" samsung plasma today from future shop. Seems like a pretty good bang for the buck deal to me. I wanted a size upgrade from my 46 inch panasonic plasma that after 4 years is still looking and working perfectly. Though some may argue a samsung is not a quality upgrade I will have to wait and see tomorrow when I get the time to set it up. A 60" panasonic would of been my first choice but missed out on the set that was on clearance at FS for $999 so bought this set. Also panasonic has discontinued plasma production and pickings at a decent price is pretty slim presently. I might stop by the other shops and see what the other shops have first before I set this up to see if there ay 60" pannys available similarly priced but I am not expecting to find much.
I will update with a review in case anyone else might have this plasma in mind. Also if anyone else has it already, what do you think of it?
Review from AVforums

Cnet review

PostPosted: January 28th, 2014, 12:13 am 
True Islander

I'd love to have the money to buy a new Panasonic before they stop production. I suspect this will lead to the end of plasmas altogether in the near future which is a shame. My 42" Panasonic has served me well for 6 years but like you, I'd love to have a bigger screen.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2014, 6:46 pm 
True Islander

Ya there are ST60s in town but the asking price is from $1350 to $1499
But this samsung looks pretty good, really good pq and blacks (set it up last night) so think it is a keeper.
Only con so far is the stand/base, feels too light for the set, not tight and sturdy. Swivel feature is nice though.
No green line or buzzing sound some were talking about on the reviews, on this set at least.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2014, 10:25 am 

SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip ~ $30 including shipping and tax
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/x/271210308882

This, out of production, MP3 player is great for gym and running. It is super light so when when you drop it no harm is done. It does not have touch screen, so you can skip/pause songs and adjust the volume without having to look at it. It can be attached to the PC as USB drive, so you do not have to install something like itunes to move music and audiobooks on it. As for music, it supports mp3 and flac formats. It is also supported by rockbox firmware but I did not see much benefit to it - stock firmware works just fine for me. It does have only 4GB space but it supports up to 16GB SD card. I never gave headphones that come with it a second look and I cannot find them now - anyway I am hooked to Yurbuds (great sport sweat/water resistant headphones that do not fall out and have good balance between sound and letting enough environmental noise through to keep me safe on street).

PostPosted: January 29th, 2014, 8:08 pm 
True Islander

Good find, and it is supported I believe by Rockbox third party firmware

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 2:46 pm 
Almost an Islander

betamaxman wrote:
That's a great price on the xios, love my pivos aios with third party firmware. The xios is said to shine with xbmc installed.

yeah, i have an Xios flashed to Linux XMBC, Linux version runs better than Android on the Pivos, just ordered an Ouya game console on sale on Amazon.ca (on sale for $69.99, $30 off) which natively supports XBMC, and with much better specs than the Xios, reviews say it is much faster, and you can just download XBMC from their Ouya Game Store (for free), or install/use 3rd party versions sideloaded. mine will be here in a few days, can't wait to kick the tires.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2014, 10:11 am 
True Islander

Sounds interesting, let us know how it turns out for you.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2014, 10:48 pm 
Almost an Islander

sure, but they're back up to $99.99 on Amazon.ca, though they are expected to go on sale frequently, a newer version is coming out very soon (better hardware for gaming, but no better for XBMC), but more expensive.
i'll let you know when it arrives and i get it set up.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 5th, 2014, 7:25 pm 
Almost an Islander

ok, got my Ouya console today. set up an unofficial XBMC version in it as the official version from the Ouyastore doesn't support 5.1 audio surround sound, and someone had posted you can't add repositories (which you REALLY want to do for the best channels, movies, etc.). took me about 2 hours total to set up, including downloading an new update, registering (using on-screen keyboard, painful), the instructions i found and had bookmarked were fairly easy and straight forward, so i went with the community recommended latest SPMC version, put on Icefilms, 1Click Movies, retro tv, a few sports ones, etc., quite a large list actually, there's lots of space on this media player compared to my XIOS. only had time to try a few channels yet, had to go set up buddie who got one too, but working well, good picture and sound, will play 1080 via ethernet but never tried one through my wifi yet (which i am using). all in all i like it, no buyers remorse, i get all the latest movies and no downloading. if anyone is interested i can post the "how to" links, it's not really hard, just a little time consuming, but you only have to do it once.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: February 11th, 2014, 4:39 pm 
True Islander

Please do post the links, don't know if I will get one but you never know.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next