* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Use HDMI ARC as just HDMI
PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 2:24 pm 

As I understand it, HDMI ARC was an added feature to allow newer audio formats to travel along the same HDMI cable to whatever audio receiver set up you have.

Does anyone know if I can just use the HDMI ARC output to send video to a regular HDMI input on my TV?

I am looking at a Vizio 5.1 soundbar system that has a TOSlink input, and HDMI input and an HDMI ARC output.

I would like to connect my DVR via HDMI to the TV and TOSLINK to the soundbar.

Also (and really the main reason for the soundbar if it works) I would like to connect my Roku to the HDMI input of the soundbar and then the HDMI ARC output to my TV.

Netflix uses either just stereo audio or Dolby Digital Plus. Right now I have my Roku connected to HDMI on the TV, my DVR on another HDMI input on the TV and then the TV TOSlink output to my receiver. However, the TV does not seem to allow the audio to passthrough so I basically just have stereo or "faux surround".

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Use HDMI ARC as just HDMI
PostPosted: February 9th, 2018, 4:48 pm 
True Islander

The reason I use hdmi ARC is to control other devices, either with my tv remote or the other devices remote. Audio is almost always carried over hdmi natively and usually depends on the audio setup with the device.
With the roku be sure to have your audio set (on the roku) to surround sound for dolby or what have you.
And be sure to enable arc on both devices tv and roku so you can control tv volume with your roku remote. And sorry for the late reply just not much activity on here anymore but I do check in from time to time.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2018, 5:25 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

I left out the back story and my TV is older so no HDMI ARC available. Also, wouldn't allow pass through to my older surround receiver.

So I was able to connect the Roku directly into the soundbar to get great audio and output the video via the HDMI ARC output into a regular HDMI input on my TV.

I know what you mean about the lack of activity. I don't check this site much anymore as I also seem to be having a lot of connectivity issues with the site.

I miss it though as I don't know what other site has this kind of PEI conversation. :D

PostPosted: February 10th, 2018, 9:04 pm 
True Islander

Cool, ya don't know what's going on with the connection issues other than possibly the sight is not updated to comply with newer browser versions. Have to reload as much as three times occasionally.