PEIinfo Logo
  Top Banner

Listings Coming Soon
 
Home
* FAQ
* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Sketchy things happening at Atlantic Beef Products
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2006, 9:54 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: August 23rd, 2005, 11:52 am
Posts: 11991
Location: Summerside
Don't know if anyone listened to CBC radio this morning, but there was a story about how they are trying to get a union at Atlantic Beef. CAW (Canada Autoworkers Union I think) and UFCW (United Food and Commercial Workers) are both trying to represent the workers, and both are alleging unfair labour practices at the beef plant. I've also heard from 2 people about them being let go due to "cutting costs." Both had been there for over 6 months and both believe they were let go because they were in favour of the union. One guy mentioned that 16 other people had also been let go, and CBC reported that 15 people were let go the day of the vote. It's not as if the positions were eliminated either. The employer would have had to hire new employees, so I think it's pretty clear that ABP was letting these people go so that they could hire new people who aren't aware of the union organizing. This kind of thing just makes me sick, and that beef plant has been letting people go for no reasons since it opened. Really makes me upset.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward- ... union.html

Hopefully the unions are successful and the employees can get the representation that they desperately need.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2006, 11:57 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: December 15th, 2004, 9:53 pm
Posts: 1664
Location: Rustico
You say the employees 'desperately need'. Why? Do you know something you're not saying?

_________________
outstanding in my field


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2006, 1:02 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: August 23rd, 2005, 11:52 am
Posts: 11991
Location: Summerside
Timothy Hayseed wrote:
You say the employees 'desperately need'. Why? Do you know something you're not saying?

Thought I said it pretty clearly when I talked about employees being let go for no good reason. They've let go lots of people who worked there less than 6 months, but that is their right as an employer. But to let somebody go who's been there over 6 months with no legitimate reason is terrible. How would you liked to be called in to the office tomorrow at your job, given a letter saying your being let go, and escorted out by security? I think you would be upset as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2006, 1:21 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
if you want things to improve at any work place , you should have a union. threes strength in numbers. the problem is when the membership tends to get over zealous and figure that the owners owe them the world. there has to be a certain amount of give and take on both sides.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2006, 1:49 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: December 15th, 2004, 9:53 pm
Posts: 1664
Location: Rustico
The article I read said employees were let go based on a number of criteria, none of which was what union they supported.

_________________
outstanding in my field


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2006, 3:07 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: August 23rd, 2005, 11:52 am
Posts: 11991
Location: Summerside
Timothy Hayseed wrote:
The article I read said employees were let go based on a number of criteria, none of which was what union they supported.

Did you actually think the employer was going to come out and say that they let them go because they supported a union? I guess that Wal Mart in Quebec really did close due to lack of business as well, not because it was unionizing. I think it's pretty clear that the employer in this case was trying to get rid of employees who supported the union.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2006, 3:25 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: December 15th, 2004, 9:53 pm
Posts: 1664
Location: Rustico
There were 80 votes cast for union representation. Would the three votes that CAW are complaining about and the 15 laid-off workers that UFCW are complaining about (which could include the 3) make a difference as to whether ABP gets a union or not?

_________________
outstanding in my field


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2006, 3:37 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
Timothy Hayseed wrote:
There were 80 votes cast for union representation. Would the three votes that CAW are complaining about and the 15 laid-off workers that UFCW are complaining about (which could include the 3) make a difference as to whether ABP gets a union or not?


it would depend on the numbers. if memory serves me, you need 50% +1 for certification. laying off people before a vote like that is dirty pool, and if it can be proved they were laid off for union activism , thats unfair labor practice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2006, 3:41 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: December 15th, 2004, 9:53 pm
Posts: 1664
Location: Rustico
Guess I'll wait and see then.

_________________
outstanding in my field


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2006, 3:30 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: August 23rd, 2005, 11:52 am
Posts: 11991
Location: Summerside
Timothy Hayseed wrote:
There were 80 votes cast for union representation. Would the three votes that CAW are complaining about and the 15 laid-off workers that UFCW are complaining about (which could include the 3) make a difference as to whether ABP gets a union or not?

I don't think it's just about which union they voted for. The more important issue is that these people lost their jobs. Not because they were bad employees, but because they wanted some representation. I can't believe this place is still in business with the reputation it has, and the amount of people it has let go.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2006, 3:32 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
is it a bad place? this is the first i've heard of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2006, 4:09 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: December 15th, 2004, 9:53 pm
Posts: 1664
Location: Rustico
ABP is a beef processing plant that started operations in November 2004 after all beef packing plants in the Atlantic region closed. It processes beef from NS, NB, and PEI. It is located in the Borden area. I believe it is 50% member driven.

_________________
outstanding in my field


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2006, 8:54 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
i know what it is , and where it is, what i meant was its the first time i heard anything about it as a place to work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 11:23 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: August 23rd, 2005, 11:52 am
Posts: 11991
Location: Summerside
line twig wrote:
i know what it is , and where it is, what i meant was its the first time i heard anything about it as a place to work.

I've been hearing it for quite some time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 11:44 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
care to enlighten me?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 12:12 pm 
Offline
Almost an Islander

Joined: August 18th, 2006, 10:38 am
Posts: 106
I see from the following that the government - Business Development - is a shareholder.

Sorry for long link. I am technically illllliterate.

Surely they will fix this situation?

http://www.gov.pe.ca/corporations/index ... =1&max=100


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 12:17 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
gee gordon lank is an officer, imagine that, a former tory cabinet minister involved in something that the the new tory government put money into! i'm shocked!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 12:22 pm 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: January 28th, 2004, 2:34 am
Posts: 20338
Location: Charlottetown
Probably getting paid a pretty sum with the appointment...will go well with the investment of $495,000 of non-voting stock we own in hi9s damn farm...

*&%*$%*$E

_________________
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." Lord Acton - Historian and moralist. 1834–1902


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 4:23 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: August 23rd, 2005, 11:52 am
Posts: 11991
Location: Summerside
line twig wrote:
care to enlighten me?

Just more of what I've mentioned above. People getting let go for seemingly no reason, others called into the office given a piece of paper and then escorted out by security. Just general shadyness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2006, 6:25 pm 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: April 10th, 2006, 12:57 pm
Posts: 14266
Location: Charlottetown
safe to assume they were active in the union drive?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group