PEIinfo Logo
  Top Banner

Listings Coming Soon
 
Home
* FAQ
* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: CBC story: PEI boys losing out at school
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 1:24 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: May 20th, 2004, 3:11 pm
Posts: 778
Interesting CBC story here -- basically more of what we've been hearing for quite some time.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/prince-edward-island/story/2006/10/27/student-ratio.html

Women now make up about two thirds of the students at UPEI. Meanwhile, males -- even if they get to the post-secondary level -- are more likely to have trouble with their courses, drop out, or flunk out. They're less likely to go on to post-graduate studies. The veterinary college in particular is now dominated by hard-working young women.

Females have also made great strides across the country in fields like engineering, dentistry, and medicine. In many parts of Canada, the majority of new doctors are female. Not so long ago, intelligent girls were encouraged to put their brains to work finding a "good catch" and then supporting hubby in whatever it was that he did for a living (and, of course, raising the kids). Now they're writing their own tickets and succeeding as never before.

Meanwhile, we face a growing crisis of young males who can't seem to get it through their heads that school is important. This phenomenon has been growing worse for decades in Canada and the USA, but it seems particularly pronounced in PEI (and the stats certainly bear this out).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 2:21 pm 
Offline
Tourist
User avatar

Joined: October 28th, 2006, 4:39 pm
Posts: 33
Are girls being pushed harder than boys to excel by the school boards and if so, should we as parents be concerned about the inequality?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 2:31 pm 
Offline
Site Admin (volunteer)
User avatar

Joined: November 1st, 2003, 7:55 am
Posts: 16903
Location: Brackley Beach PE / Lake Wales FL
Seeker wrote:
Are girls being pushed harder than boys to excel by the school boards and if so, should we as parents be concerned about the inequality?


No.

And no.

The correct question should be "Are girls being pushed harder than boys to excel by parents?"


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 3:44 pm 
Offline
Tourist
User avatar

Joined: October 28th, 2006, 4:39 pm
Posts: 33
I get it now. You and the other guy steer people away from anything that you don't want discussed. Now I know why I was accused of trolling. I see this on other sites all the time and it never fails to amaze me how this sort of thing isn't remedied by the site admins. Oh, the humanity! :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 4:07 pm 
Maybe the fact that you are called a troll on other sites should give you some indication of your problem.
If you are a troll people will call you a troll.
If you start to see this behaviour repeated on many sites you should be smart enough to make the connection.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 7:13 pm 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: March 19th, 2004, 7:00 pm
Posts: 10735
Location: Charlottetown
Seeker wrote:
Are girls being pushed harder than boys to excel by the school boards and if so, should we as parents be concerned about the inequality?


School boards do not have a lot of influence on the gender populations of schools or uni's. In addition UPEI and AVC are not governed by a school board per se.

I viewed the whole story as rather cute - and just another reason why I should go back to Uni. Tho that kind of ratio would make it hard to keep ones mind on the studies.

kreskin answered both your questions and then presented you with a theory. Rather then answer that theory - you pull out the strawman attack.

So - are parents the ones responsible for the current imbalance in gender populations at the Uni and AVC? Or are there other factors in place?

Phil

_________________
----------
"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 7:22 pm 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: November 29th, 2003, 1:52 pm
Posts: 11486
Location: Somewhere, PEI
I saw a segment on the Daily Show about this... they wree making fun of it (obviously), talking to a young man who was suing the school board, because he believed that girls and boys were treated differently.. that girls were encouraged to study, and boys were encouraged to play sports, which did little for the GPA... the jist that I got from the story, and I think what they were trying to say with the story, was that this was a rich kid who, because of his grades, didn't get into the college of his choice and needed someone to blame...

Girls and boys aren't treated differently, at least not in this province... the way I saw it when I was in school, was that the sports stars and the incredibly smart people got all the attention, and everybody else got ignored.. I only just squeaked by myself, having to take an extra half year to graduate.. and with entrance requirements to UPEI now.. if I was coming right out of school with my marks, I wouldn't get in.. which is another thing all together, I know.. but it ticks me off too...

_________________
Image
Resident Colbertite
Official Daily Show Stoner


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2006, 4:02 am 
Offline
Tourist
User avatar

Joined: October 28th, 2006, 4:39 pm
Posts: 33
Quote:
Women now make up about two thirds of the students at UPEI.


I'd like to see the stats on:
#1 - How many of those women are from away.
#2 - What the boy to girl ratio is in the 17-25 year age group on the Island.

Those may be decisive factors in this trend.






hhost.ca wrote:
Maybe the fact that you are called a troll on other sites should give you some indication of your problem.
If you are a troll people will call you a troll.
If you start to see this behaviour repeated on many sites you should be smart enough to make the connection.


You just proved my point, because you're the other guy I was talking about. Thank you very much! :wink: Y'know,the people who start screaming 'troll' usually are whining, crybabies who can't stand someone who has an opinion that differs from theirs. That's when they private message the forum moderators and start their E-whining that,"He's a troll and he's ruining the forums!" Incidentally, I'm not the one that gets called troll on the other forums where I post. I usually don't get involved because those are out of province forums where I'm the outsider. Well, I ain't from away and this is an Island forum where the opinions of all Islanders should be voiced. Here's a little tip for the future. If you don't like what someone writes , ignore it rather than flaming the person or running to the moderators with tears in your eyes and a sob story. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2006, 8:52 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: November 21st, 2003, 7:52 pm
Posts: 1833
Location: Charlottetown
I would be interested in seeing the female to male high school drop out ratio.

_________________
I'm on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/thegoodkid


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2006, 10:43 am 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: May 20th, 2004, 3:11 pm
Posts: 778
I see that StatsCan figures indicate that boys drop out much more often than girls across the nation. But I didn't have much luck with gender ratios for the PEI drop-out rate.

http://www.statcan.ca/english/freepub/81-004-XIE/2005004/drop.htm#c

PEI and Newfoundland used to have the worst drop-out rates in the country (early 1990s), but now both rates are much improved. The other side of the story, however, is that critics claim this has been achieved by pushing semi-literate kids through the system and giving them a very degraded diploma.

Conversely, provinces like Ontario brought in standardized testing and "zero tolerance" for violence, bullying, etc. They saw their students' performance improve dramatically, but they also experienced a sharp increase in the drop-out rate. (Also, in a hot job market, it's tempting for a 16-year-old to leave school and start making good money right away.)

That said, PEI has certain very significant advantages over places like Toronto, where half the kids in high school grew up speaking a language other than English or French. T.O. schools have to put a lot of resources and work into getting immigrant kids up to speed in their new language. PEI, meanwhile, has a population where practically everybody speaks English as a first language.

PEI's school system should be having much more success with these kids, both boys and girls.


Last edited by Buddee on October 30th, 2006, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2006, 10:43 am 
Offline
True Islander

Joined: December 31st, 2003, 2:57 am
Posts: 8487
Seeker wrote:
I get it now. You and the other guy steer people away from anything that you don't want discussed. Now I know why I was accused of trolling. I see this on other sites all the time and it never fails to amaze me how this sort of thing isn't remedied by the site admins. Oh, the humanity! :roll:


Take it easy Seeker, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean there is some conspiracy to limit your opinion. Why not take the time to get to know your fellow posters before you jump in guns blazing?

It remains to be seen whether you are a troll or not, but your attitude strikes me as very confrontational and aggressive for a new member.

_________________
greenspree.ca spreading green ideas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2006, 10:53 am 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: November 21st, 2003, 7:52 pm
Posts: 1833
Location: Charlottetown
Buddee wrote:
PEI and Newfoundland used to have the worst drop-out rates in the country (early 1990s), but now both rates are much improved. The other side of the story, however, is that critics claim this has been achieved by pushing semi-literate kids through the system and giving them a very degraded diploma.


It is very true that the schools are bringing up their graduation rates by pushing kids through the system. I was placed from grade 2 till high school. I ended up dropping out because I could not spell and was hardly able to read. I failed typing class because of spelling mistakes but my WPM was 35 when I started the class.

Schools should not be allowed to place students to the next grade. Either the student passes or they don't. Bottom line. No favors are being given by allowing a student to stay with his or her peers if they are not meeting the requirements.

_________________
I'm on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/thegoodkid


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2006, 11:40 am 
Offline
True Islander
User avatar

Joined: September 5th, 2005, 6:32 pm
Posts: 3577
ya but alot of the time they just push them threw to get rid of them.. i have seen it with a couple people i know.. and i'm talking people in their 20's now.. but also when i was in school i know of 2 girls that where more or less asked to leave when they started to show.. and the teacher that pushed to have them gone is now pretty high up in the teachers union.. Funny thing is now girls or couples have taken their kid to the proms grand march..

_________________
To all of you that wonder if I know what I am doing, I say NO; but they let me fix airplanes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2006, 12:24 pm 
Offline
Junior Member

Joined: May 20th, 2004, 3:11 pm
Posts: 778
Andrew wrote:
Quote:
t is very true that the schools are bringing up their graduation rates by pushing kids through the system. I was placed from grade 2 till high school. I ended up dropping out because I could not spell and was hardly able to read. I failed typing class because of spelling mistakes but my WPM was 35 when I started the class.

Schools should not be allowed to place students to the next grade. Either the student passes or they don't. Bottom line. No favors are being given by allowing a student to stay with his or her peers if they are not meeting the requirements.


Good points, man. And I salute you for all the work you've put into your own education after you were badly let down by the public education system! You and other posters have also pointed out that the PEI school system tolerates an outrageous amount of bullying and other anti-social behaviour.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2006, 12:29 pm 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: September 27th, 2005, 8:57 pm
Posts: 725
Location: right here.....right now
Seeker wrote:
Here's a little tip for the future. If you don't like what someone writes , ignore it rather than flaming the person or running to the moderators with tears in your eyes and a sob story. Thanks.


Interesting comment.

Seeker wrote:
I get it now. You and the other guy steer people away from anything that you don't want discussed. Now I know why I was accused of trolling. I see this on other sites all the time and it never fails to amaze me how this sort of thing isn't remedied by the site admins. Oh, the humanity! :roll:


Practice what you preach. :wink:

_________________
I may not be perfect.....but parts of me are excellent!


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2006, 3:11 pm 
Offline
Member
User avatar

Joined: April 8th, 2004, 12:42 am
Posts: 2947
the way I saw it when I was in school, was that the sports stars and the incredibly smart people got all the attention, and everybody else got ignored..

Sad but true. The majority of the school population end up getting the shaft, sadly. They focus attention and resources on the "stars", as usual.

A person can be highly intelligent and still a poor student. They could be demotivated, have problems at home, a learning disability, etc. Not everybody learns the same way, and certainly not in the format/syllabus the schools present. It's a one size fits all routine that doesn't pay attention to individual attributes.

Not everyone wants to be an athlete.

I agree with Rikimae that it would be nice if the teachers and administration would stop playing favorites like they do.

_________________
http://stevescafe.blogspot.com/

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group