* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2007, 5:56 pm 
Almost an Islander

We went on our motorcycle in July and camped in Baddeck. We did the Cabot trail one way one day, the next day we did it in the opposite direction. Awesome and awe-inspiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2007, 6:19 pm 
We are doing Cabot Trail and Cape Breton again 17 days in July, on our second time visiting there.

We are spending five days on Cabot Trail itself, doing most of the hiking trails and Whale Watching. Staying at the National Camp grounds.

The rest of the trip we are camping at Mira Provincial Campground, 15 minute drive from Fortress Louisburg. We'll also do some more horse back riding just outside of Sydney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2007, 6:27 pm 
True Islander

Oh I am so jealous, I have never been there and really want to go sometime!

Enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2007, 6:56 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

kratz wrote:
We are doing Cabot Trail and Cape Breton again 17 days in July, on our second time visiting there.

Maybe we'll bump into you ... we'll be there (Lake O'Law for the most part) the last week in July :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2007, 7:14 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Kreskin wrote:
kratz wrote:

Maybe we'll bump into you ... we'll be there (Lake O'Law for the most part) the last week in July :D

Yeah - bad bad timing. NASCAR...remember!!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2007, 8:00 pm 
True Islander

been around it twice, and figure on ywo days, way too much scenery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2007, 8:52 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Armetis wrote:
Kreskin wrote:
kratz wrote:

:(

Yeah, but I got my fix for the year.

And there is talk of attending the Kansas City race in September if Mrs. K decides to attend the Yahoo Bridge meet there that week.

But Montreal would've been real fun (not to mention cheap, what with half my family there, lol)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2007, 9:51 pm 

Kreskin wrote:
Armetis wrote:
Kreskin wrote:
kratz wrote:

:(

Yeah, but I got my fix for the year.

And there is talk of attending the Kansas City race in September if Mrs. K decides to attend the Yahoo Bridge meet there that week.

But Montreal would've been real fun (not to mention cheap, what with half my family there, lol)

haha.. doing better than me. The furthest I've made it was to Yarmouth, when I moved there! LOL :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2007, 12:42 am 
True Islander

paella wrote:
Okay I want to revisit this topic - Socktan how was the trip and what'd you do (stay/go/etc)?

We'd like to do this this summer.

I recommend fall, for two reasons, the first, the colors! And the second, it's cooler and thus, walking and hiking are easier to do; even driving is better with less heat. Disadvantage is Lourisbourg partially closes, and, there's always the threat of a wet fall.

We left Charlottetown at... um, sometime in the morning. 8am, maybe? and we arrived in Cheticamp for sunset (doing the trail clockwise), after grabbing a couple sunset pics, we dined and then left for Pleasant Bay. Since that trek was done after dark, the waitress cautioned us of moose on the highway. We spotted two moose off the side of the highway on the way up. A side note, they appeared *very* ghostly under the headlights. Very creepy.

We arrived at Pleasant Bay to find that the motel I booked was... not up to par for a lady. While I had no problem with staying there, my GF did. I think it was the bed bugs and dirty hotel episode of Dateline that didn't help her. OR perhaps the strong scent of bleech when we opened the door. One and a half stars. Seventy five bucks.

So, the at the restaurant in Cheticamp said that we would be driving one of the most beautiful stretches and that we should make time to drive it again in the light. So that's what we did. We got up at the crack of dawn. I shot the sun rising above the mountains while my GF got ready to hit the road.

I dropped the keys off in the slot and off we went back to Cheticamp. The waitress was right, it was beautiful, and we got to do it twice.

Now, some Nova Scotia photogs suggested that I visit Meat Cove where I can shoot down on Bald Eagles from 50 feet above them. After we drove back through Pleasant Bay, we ventured off the trail to hit meat cove, which is at the very top of Cape Breton Island. I saw nothing of interest really, no eagles or anything. Just cliffs. It was about 90 minutes extra driving.

Our second night was at the Delta in Sydney, a friend (who CYCLED THE TRAIL two months before our trip!! (ON A bicycle!)) suggested we experience the English Town Ferry, which is a cable ferry running over a little stretch of St. Anns Bay. So we did that, and then headed to Sydney.

SOMEWHERE along our adventure, perhaps when we got to Cape Breton, we visited the Alexander Graham Bell museum. I enjoyed it, but I think it would have been better if we had a third day to do that part. Yes, now I remember, we went there after first arriving that afternoon.

So, we got to Sydney stayed at the Delta (big step up from Pleasant bay. :))... next morning we started heading in the direction of Louisbourg. We took the seaside trail, which merged to the Marconi Trail. Both were rough nasty roads and didn't offer anything exciting. PERHAPS because we had just been through the Cabot Trail and anything else would be a let down. No, that's not it... it was pretty boring. The time would have been better spent enjoying Louisbourg.

Louisbourg was partially closed for the season, some building were closed and the challenge of the guard was not running, that's a disadvantage of going in the fall. I heard from a number of people that the challenging of the guard is an awesome experience.

I would do it again this year... I would like to hike a lot more, we didn't hike nearly at all.

I highly recommend it. I've never seen mountains (perhaps I still haven't?!) Cape Breton made me feel pretty insignificant when peering up at a rock faced cliff, it's peak covered in fast moving clouds.

I'll come with you. haha

Oh, book early, don't choose the pink place in Pleasant Bay. hehe. Poll your friends on the direction you should drive. Many of my friends said that counter clockwise is the better experience. (?)

Any other questions? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2007, 12:46 am 
True Islander

A few of the photos I took:

http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8518

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4th, 2007, 9:55 am 

We honeymooned there & I also did some motorcycle group rides there, and went clockwise most of the time. I love the campground just inside the park from the Cheticamp side, nicely wooded. The one (inverness) I think has a nice pebbly beach.

We stayed in the campground in Meatcove (which is on the side of a cliff) on our honeymoon, I also wandered there and thought the eagles were cool to see soaring from above. We got a lot of WTFs from the locals when we said we stayed there. We were a little restless to hear 4x4's roaring up and down the road in the middle of the night tho.

If you do it on a motorbike you'll want to turn around and do it again the next day... and we did. It was still fun in foggy/rainy weather.

I also concure about the seaside trail past Louisburg (east side), it was boring.