* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: 2006 International AIDS Conference in Toronto
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 2:52 pm 

I will be attending this conference along with about 23,000 other people from all around the world. The theme is "Time to Deliver". In saying this I find it a bit disheartening that the Prime Miniser of Canada has decided not to attend this event...At the same time, Bill Gates has just promised 500$ million for poor countries. Bill and Melinda Gates will be Keynote speakers at the Openening ceremonies this upcoming Sunday.

Stephen Lewis has called on Canada to show its committment and leadership in the global fight against HIV/AIDS. He and the groups he works with have called on Canada to commit to a timetable to bring its development assistance up to 0.7 per cent of its gross national income, contribute five per cent of the funding needed by the Global Fund to fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria over each of the next five years, put money into the public health care systems of developing countries, and to cancel the debt of developing countries to free up money to fight AIDS and poverty. The group he works with has also called on the Canadian Gov't to to follow through on an earlier commitment passed by Parliament in 2004 that allows the export of lower-cost, generic drugs to developing countries. This has yet to happen....Yet Stephen Harper has decided to show his Leadership by just not attending the conference at all.....

28 Jul 2006

HARPER TO SKIP AIDS CONFERENCE
by Joseph Hall, Staff Reporter, Toronto Star

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Decision Dismays Organizers Of Toronto Event

Bad Message To World, Meeting Co-Chair Says

International AIDS conference officials expressed dismay this week after receiving official word that Prime Minister Stephen Harper would not be attending the attendance record-breaking Toronto summit next month.

Saying it sends a bad message to the world about Canada's commitment to fighting the disease, officials hoped Harper would yet change his mind at the 11th hour.

"It will send a signal that this government perhaps is not fully committed to the fight against HIV and AIDS," Dr. Mark Wainberg, co-chair of the 16th International AIDS Conference, said of Harper's absence.

"HIV/AIDS kills 5,000 people a day, compare that with any current war taking place as an example."

Wainberg says conference officials fear Harper's absence might discourage other heads of state or high-profile guests from attending the Aug.13-18 conference.

While it had been widely reported Harper would skip what is expected to be the largest gathering of AIDS experts in history, his office officially replied to the invitation on Monday, said Darryl Perry, executive director of the AIDS 2006 Toronto Local Host Secretariat.

Governor General Michaelle Jean will open the conference Sunday, Aug. 13 at a gala ceremony attended by international dignitaries and capped by a star-studded rock concert.

Among the guests will be Microsoft billionaire Bill Gates, who will give the keynote speech, and his wife Melinda, former U.S. president Bill Clinton and actor Richard Gere.

Wainberg said Harper could have satisfied organizers by simply showing up and welcoming delegates at the opening event.

"All we would want would be for him to be at the opening ceremony and to say how committed Canada continues to be in the fight against AIDS," he said.

Dimitri Soudas, a spokesperson with the Prime Minister's Office, said Harper "gets thousands of invitations and he can't attend all the events he's invited to."

Soudas says Ottawa will instead be represented by Health Minister Tony Clement and International Co-operation Minister Josee Verner.

Conference organizers expect some 25,000 people will be attending the meeting, roughly 9,000 more than the last two international AIDS conferences -- Bangkok in 2004 and Barcelona in 2002.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 3:05 pm 
Didn't you know that AIDS is a gay person's disease?
Harper has no interest in helping out gays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 3:20 pm 
True Islander

I heard he is a gay.

If you don't get that joke, go rent Anchorman: the legend of Ron Burgundy.

But yeah, this is pathetic. Harper should be at least making an appearance at this. I'd like to see what his schedule actually is for that week. I understand he gets asked to a lot of functions, but this is a pretty big one, and a rather important function. It would be nice if our Prime Minister would at least be there. Our committment to international development is embarssing, so maybe that is why he will not be making an appearance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 12:36 pm 
Almost an Islander

Fireside,

Be sure to let us know how it goes. It seems to be getting good coverage in the media so far, but those lettle snippits are often rather useless and/or untrue.

For curiosity's sake, are you going there as the representative of some local group or just on your own?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 2006 International AIDS Conference in Toronto
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 1:46 pm 

Fireside wrote:
I will be attending this conference along with about 23,000 other people from all around the world. The theme is "Time to Deliver". In saying this I find it a bit disheartening that the Prime Miniser of Canada has decided not to attend this event...At the same time, Bill Gates has just promised 500$ million for poor countries. Bill and Melinda Gates will be Keynote speakers at the Openening ceremonies this upcoming Sunday.

Stephen Lewis has called on Canada to show its committment and leadership in the global fight against HIV/AIDS. He and the groups he works with have called on Canada to commit to a timetable to bring its development assistance up to 0.7 per cent of its gross national income, contribute five per cent of the funding needed by the Global Fund to fight AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria over each of the next five years, put money into the public health care systems of developing countries, and to cancel the debt of developing countries to free up money to fight AIDS and poverty. The group he works with has also called on the Canadian Gov't to to follow through on an earlier commitment passed by Parliament in 2004 that allows the export of lower-cost, generic drugs to developing countries. This has yet to happen....Yet Stephen Harper has decided to show his Leadership by just not attending the conference at all.....

28 Jul 2006

HARPER TO SKIP AIDS CONFERENCE
by Joseph Hall, Staff Reporter, Toronto Star

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Decision Dismays Organizers Of Toronto Event

Bad Message To World, Meeting Co-Chair Says

International AIDS conference officials expressed dismay this week after receiving official word that Prime Minister Stephen Harper would not be attending the attendance record-breaking Toronto summit next month.

Saying it sends a bad message to the world about Canada's commitment to fighting the disease, officials hoped Harper would yet change his mind at the 11th hour.

"It will send a signal that this government perhaps is not fully committed to the fight against HIV and AIDS," Dr. Mark Wainberg, co-chair of the 16th International AIDS Conference, said of Harper's absence.

"HIV/AIDS kills 5,000 people a day, compare that with any current war taking place as an example."

Wainberg says conference officials fear Harper's absence might discourage other heads of state or high-profile guests from attending the Aug.13-18 conference.

While it had been widely reported Harper would skip what is expected to be the largest gathering of AIDS experts in history, his office officially replied to the invitation on Monday, said Darryl Perry, executive director of the AIDS 2006 Toronto Local Host Secretariat.

Governor General Michaelle Jean will open the conference Sunday, Aug. 13 at a gala ceremony attended by international dignitaries and capped by a star-studded rock concert.

Among the guests will be Microsoft billionaire Bill Gates, who will give the keynote speech, and his wife Melinda, former U.S. president Bill Clinton and actor Richard Gere.

Wainberg said Harper could have satisfied organizers by simply showing up and welcoming delegates at the opening event.

"All we would want would be for him to be at the opening ceremony and to say how committed Canada continues to be in the fight against AIDS," he said.

Dimitri Soudas, a spokesperson with the Prime Minister's Office, said Harper "gets thousands of invitations and he can't attend all the events he's invited to."

Soudas says Ottawa will instead be represented by Health Minister Tony Clement and International Co-operation Minister Josee Verner.

Conference organizers expect some 25,000 people will be attending the meeting, roughly 9,000 more than the last two international AIDS conferences -- Bangkok in 2004 and Barcelona in 2002.

Too bad Harper ain't attending. Reminds me of his visit to Afghanistan where he says to someone..good thing we don't have to stay. Yea..right..he don't have to stay....piss on anybody else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2006, 5:11 pm 

Why am I not surprised Harper's not attending-- I guess his minders in the US Republican party didn't think it was wise...

Profile E-mail