* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2006, 7:52 am 

to find out if a Halifaxian is an Optimist or Pessamist you must ask them if their streets run up-hill or down-hill. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2006, 5:30 pm 

I just thought I'd remind everyone of the old joke... How many Torontonians does it take to change a light bulb?...one to change it and all the rest to stand around bragging about what a world class event it was...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2006, 6:41 pm 

crimespree wrote:
jafo wrote:
Billy wrote:
There is none of the "city life" in all of Atlantic Canada. Keep an open mind and you may enjoy yourself here.

WRONG - Halifax has lots of "city life"

I'd have to disagree, there is lot's to do in Halifax but there is a definate shift in culture when in a bigger city like Montreal, Toronto or to a lesser extent Ottawa. If someone were used to "city life" those places, Halifax wouldn't measure up I'm afraid.

I'd have to disagree too. Halifax is nothing but a big town. Although it is a great spot, it doesn't have much "city life" IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14th, 2006, 12:22 pm 
Newly Created Account

well, i made it. i'm actually in the province! i came to visit and i have to say, not too much to do but damn good food, friendly *very* friendly people and it's gorgeous here. i can see water from the apartment i just leased! it's huge! do you know that i can pay 700 bucks a month here on a huge, comfy apartment with skylights, an ocean view, 2 bedrooms and a balcony. in toronto you'd pay more than double the price for a single bedroom without a balcony and all you get is a crappy view of crappy lake ontario. plus no pollution! i can run up three flights of stairs no problem without having to catch my breath! and i'm a smoker! i've been to hunter's ale house. it's very nice. way faster and friendlier service than any "authentic marittime pub" in toronto (i'm looking at you "duke of argyle") plus, why didn't anyone ever tell me about this deep fried pepperoni thing!! it's awesome! oh, and i've been to cedar's eatery; the chicken shawarma is damn tasty, but i didn't like the beef all that much. my boyfriend and i were most impressed with the city. i mean, it might not be big or "a gleaming metropolis" but it's essentially the friendliest city we've ever been to.

please guys keep me updated on the other cool stuff to check out! i'll be moving here permanent in the beginning of october for work and my boyfriend is out here permanent already.

thanks so much. i think i've fallen a little in love with your island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14th, 2006, 4:14 pm 

Awfully nice to see someone so "fired up" about a place!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14th, 2006, 4:18 pm 
newworldslacker83, just out of curiosity, where is your apartment building located?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14th, 2006, 7:54 pm 
Newly Created Account

by lewis point, umm... beach grove road

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 14th, 2006, 7:58 pm 
Good neighborhood.
I like that area. I didn't realize you could get a water view that cheap there.

Post subject: Re: Terrified of PEI
PostPosted: June 26th, 2010, 3:00 pm 
Newly Created Account

i moved to charlottetown about three years after i took an early retirement from my job at bell canada in toronto. i had lived in south riverdale, in toronto for 15 years, in a hundred year old victorian house.

i am just beginning my 4th year on pei.

i was born in toronto, all of my family live there and in other parts of ontario.

after i retired, i realized i could live anywhere i wanted.

pei had a special place in my memories. when i was young i visited the maritimes with my family on a camping trip. we visited a farmer friend of my parents and i fell on love with the dunes and beaches. i remember during my working years saying to myself, when i retire, i would like to retire to pei.

i did a lot of research online before i decided charlottetown was going to be my new home.

i contacted a real estate agent in charlottetown, she was very kind and helpful. when my home sold in toronto, i flew to charlottetown for a week and looked at houses. i found a house that was ideal for me and put an offer on it.

i am friendly with my neighbours near my home.

after being here for about a year i was assigned a doctor, unfortunately he decided to leave the island, so i am going back to the walk in clinic. the doctors i see there are excellent and very supportive.

i was surprised to find only one public library in charlottetown, and the fire department is voluntary.

you will find charlottetown has a friendly small town feel to it. but everything you want is available. if you're lacking something, you can always order it online.

as for neon and clubs, that is for you to find. i am not looking for any. i left all that back in the big smoke.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 2:41 pm 

Quote:
What are the men like? Have you got any punk or mod clubs, like a "This is London"? Also, for business purposes, what are the gaming communities like out there? Any avid pot smokers? What's the best comic book shop in town? And finally: Where is the good falafel, and addendum, is the shop run by Arabs? (thats not a racist thing to say, I myself am half Arab and half Persian, I just want to know whether the food is authentic)

Myself, a 22 year old female:
a) I don't know what "This is London" is, but I have a good time at the places I do go to. Mostly Baba's Lounge.

b) I know there is a lot of game development going on in Charlottetown, and I know lots of gamers.

c) and I know lots of pot smokers.

d) Comic Hunter

e) Just below the above mentioned Baba's Lounge is where (I think) the best falafel. I teach many arab students and this is where they go to get their grub, so I assume it's authentic. If it doesn't float your boat, Shaddy's is across the street.

I love Charlottetown. I find there is lots to do if you know where to go. I don't sit around in my spare time starring at a wall.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 2:53 pm 
True Islander

tollfree wrote:
Quote:
What are the men like? Have you got any punk or mod clubs, like a "This is London"? Also, for business purposes, what are the gaming communities like out there? Any avid pot smokers? What's the best comic book shop in town? And finally: Where is the good falafel, and addendum, is the shop run by Arabs? (thats not a racist thing to say, I myself am half Arab and half Persian, I just want to know whether the food is authentic)

Myself, a 22 year old female:
a) I don't know what "This is London" is, but I have a good time at the places I do go to. Mostly Baba's Lounge.

b) I know there is a lot of game development going on in Charlottetown, and I know lots of gamers.

c) and I know lots of pot smokers.

d) Comic Hunter

e) Just below the above mentioned Baba's Lounge is where (I think) the best falafel. I teach many arab students and this is where they go to get their grub, so I assume it's authentic. If it doesn't float your boat, Shaddy's is across the street.

I love Charlottetown. I find there is lots to do if you know where to go. I don't sit around in my spare time starring at a wall.

FYI, other than the post before yours, this thread is almost four years old.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 3:05 pm 

Whoops! Didn't even check that, haven't been on in a few weeks and assumed it was new.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2010, 8:04 am 

Grew up on PEI and have lived here since 1973. All I can say is once a "CFA" always a "CFA" seems to be the most common tude on PEI. :?

If you like ultra conservative ppl, if u think nepotism is a good thing, if you like being judged based on where you r from not who u r.. then you are going to LOVE PEI.

you will have issues finding work cause you are not related to ur potential employer

you will be shunned cause you are from upper Canada and most Islanders have the misconception that upper Canadians think they are better (reverse racism based on birth location)

The term CFA (come from away) I think pretty much attests to the attitude of Real Islanders"

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 17th, 2010, 8:33 am 
True Islander

Nortie wrote:
Grew up on PEI and have lived here since 1973. All I can say is once a "CFA" always a "CFA" seems to be the most common tude on PEI. :?

If you like ultra conservative ppl, if u think nepotism is a good thing, if you like being judged based on where you r from not who u r.. then you are going to LOVE PEI.

you will have issues finding work cause you are not related to ur potential employer

you will be shunned cause you are from upper Canada and most Islanders have the misconception that upper Canadians think they are better (reverse racism based on birth location)

The term CFA (come from away) I think pretty much attests to the attitude of Real Islanders"

no bitterness there.........

for the record im 'technically' from away.....and as for the thought that islanders think that cfa's think they are better......they are right......when i came i was a kid and i even thought that i was better......islanders just dont like people coming in and telling them how they don't do things as well as other places....who the heck would ?

now i am an islander ( i can claim it both ways ) and are we reverse racist? yes, probably.......but at least we are honest enough to admit it.....lol

can you say the same ?

PostPosted: July 17th, 2010, 8:38 am 

shelley wrote:
Nortie wrote:

no bitterness there.........

for the record im 'technically' from away.....and as for the thought that islanders think that cfa's think they are better......they are right......when i came i was a kid and i even thought that i was better......islanders just dont like people coming in and telling them how they don't do things as well as other places....who the heck would ?

exactly, why bother to learn maybe better or innovative ways to do things, same old same old is always better right? Better to be ten years behind the times rather then current and up to date. U will never be an islander (ask any born and raised Islander they will tell you same..) but you are getting the mentality down pat, u should be proud ;)

now i am an islander ( i can claim it both ways ) and are we reverse racist? yes, probably.......but at least we are honest enough to admit it.....lol
There ya go something for you to be very proud of cause racism is such a good thing after all

can you say the same ?
Thankful no....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 17th, 2010, 9:45 am 
Almost an Islander

Nortie wrote:

With an attitude like yours, it's no wonder you are referred to as CFA.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 17th, 2010, 9:48 am 

NJAS wrote:
Nortie wrote:

With an attitude like yours, it's no wonder you are referred to as CFA.

just telling the truth I challenge you to show me where anything i said was inaccurate

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 17th, 2010, 9:56 am 
Almost an Islander

I can't be bothered ](*,)

I must now get to work, I wouldn't want disappoint my friend that got me the job :wink:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 17th, 2010, 10:05 am 

NJAS wrote:
I can't be bothered ](*,)

I must now get to work, I wouldn't want disappoint my friend that got me the job :wink:

LMAO spoken like a true Islander.. I rest my case...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: July 17th, 2010, 10:22 am 

Guys... this thread is FOUR years old, stop rehashing s#!t.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next