* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Bacon & Clam Chowder at Casa Mia Cafe for $4.95 [Remind Me]

Lunch The Great Canadian Hand Carved Sandwich at Chartwells UPEI for $5.99 [Remind Me]

Lunch Chicken wings & Chips at Casa Mia Cafe for $9.95 [Remind Me]

Supper WING NIGHT!!! at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $0.35 [Remind Me]

Supper Endless Baby Back Ribs at Hunter's Ale House for $22.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Beef Pot Pie or Veggie Pot Pie at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.10 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 1:10 pm 

Da Judge wrote:
Yes, it is offensive.

And surprising coming from Calico Cat who can usually get his point across in better ways.

I debated just deleting Calico Cat's post, but have decided to leave it because that may be a bigger slap on the wrist than removing his embarrassment.

Gonzo, while I share your disgust, intemperate responses don't help matters any.

Thank you.

Slap me silly. Yes it was a stupid stereotyped response to a stupid stereotyped posting on how someone is "supposedly" terrified of living/visiting PEI... And the locals are actually thinking this person is serious... C'mon.

THAT was me'point. Don't be so thick.

CC

Last edited by Calico Cat on August 1st, 2006, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 1:36 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Wow, you disappoint me, Calico :(

Whether or not you think this person is serious, there was no need to introduce racial stereotyping into the conversation.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 1:45 pm 

OK,,, stop with the lynching,,, I apologize for my simpleton comments...far be it for me to whine about innuendo stated in previous comments.... I only seek to spark conversation,,not be an idiot.

Calico, no comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 1:56 pm 
True Islander

well that sad fact is there is alot of people here that are only used to the white anglo type.. not that they may be racist.. have to say ethnic minorities have just been that minorities to the point where you don't see many of them.. yes there are some quiet prominate families of different decent here but in the past there has not been alot.. thought that has been changing. I think i was probly 9 or 10 before i seen a black person and that was in darthmouth when we where visiting friends.. around the same time a chineese family opened a restrauraunt in my town but later moved to charlottetown.. they where harrased alot by local idiots..

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 4:14 pm 

Well, I can tell you that you are in for a change that's for sure. I am orginally from the States...and before moving here, I lived in a few bigger cities as well. The last city I lived in was not as big a Toronto but still it was 30 times the size of Charlottetown atleast. lol There's all kinds of nightlife there...different than Charlottetown, which is just "going to the bars".

I was raised in a smaller town, but I have lived in several bigger cities. So I can identify with both worlds. I've also got out on the town in New York City and Boston, so I've seen the difference.

There is a huge difference between going to a club (in the big cities) and going to the bars (like around here) trust me on that. What they can get into a bar here capacity wise would only be maybe 1 floor at the places you are used to.

Also, just to warn you, going out dancing around here is not the same thing as what you are used to. Where you are, it's actually considered dancing. Here it's more like drunken people just jumping around.

Oh and I hope you like Irish/Celtic music....because they have a habit of throwing that into the dance mix at the bars.

You'll likely get a chuckle when you see what I mean. lol

Still islanders like to have a good time and are awesome people. They are right this is not Toronto and the best advice is to just come to PEI with an open mind. I am sure you will feel like you are in a different world at first....but with the right attitude and right mind, I am sure you will make some friends and have some great times. Islanders are a very unique kinda of people.

In my opinion, if Canada wanted to represent itself in a positive light to the world, it should send an islander....

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 5:59 pm 
True Islander

but not sourisB as he rambles on about politics and canadian tire too much lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2006, 10:06 pm 
Newly Created Account

This has been so helpful. I mean, I don't know anyone out east and you got to admit, when you have no friends or loved ones around you, moving far away can be more than a little frightening. I realise that it sounds silly, but it was 4 in the morning and I was just getting panicked for the situation.

I'm so insanely excited about the Dropkick Murphys concert announcement, I've been to 3 of their shows and I have to say that I loved them. Aside from Flogging Molly, they are the only "pub-rock/Irish-punk" bands that I have listened to and enjoyed.

Thanks Craiger and the rest of you for the encouragement, I'm kind of feeling pretty positive about the experience. If I ever bump into any of you in a bar somewhere, lets have a beer.

Just a note to Calico Cat, I am a real person, I'm pretty offended that you think that I'm...what? a "towel-head"? What are you going to call me next, a Paki? Honey, I was born and raised in Canada, I've got as much a right to call myself Canadian as any one of you. You might think my wanting to find a Arab restaurant an ethnic and self-segregatory thing, but think of this fact; most "British" descendant Canadians enjoy Irish, English and Scottish beers and foods, why can't I enjoy something from my ethnic heritage without being told to go back east on a camel and wear a turban? Did your mother ever teach you to insult women like that? For shame.

Sorry if that was a little bitter, but I'm getting a touch tired of racism. Thanks a bunch again and again to all those who've been so helpful. You've turned me around on the whole "is it going to be fun?" issue. I seriously owe you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2006, 7:46 am 
True Islander

Oh, to suggest a few falafal places, Cedar's Eatery is my favourite, all their Lebanese food is great. Next on my list would be Shaddy's just down the street from them, who sell the best garlic chicken. Town and Country isn't my favourite place food wise, but I grew up hanging out there and love the place none the less, plus they are probably the cheapest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2006, 8:36 am 
Almost an Islander

What's falafel like? I've never had it before, but from the descriptions I've read it sounds good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2006, 8:46 am 
Falafel is a spiced chickpea mixture that is fried and served with a dipping sauce. It is very tasty.
I may be wrong but I think in Lebanon they use more Fava beans than chickpeas in the mix. Here you will pretty much find them made only with chickpeas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2006, 9:09 am 
True Islander

justintime wrote:
What's falafel like? I've never had it before, but from the descriptions I've read it sounds good.

Whatever you do, don't try falafel from this place in Oxford England near the Zodiac! Me and my girlfriend ate there in April, and she ended up getting food poisoning from the place. Needless to say, she hasn't had a falafel since!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2006, 9:16 am 

It sounds falawful

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2006, 9:20 am 
True Islander

Sirius wrote:
It sounds falawful

Oh dear. Please. No more! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2006, 11:13 am 
True Islander

Sirius wrote:
It sounds falawful

And you all thought Calico's comment was out of line!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 2nd, 2006, 5:09 pm 
Almost an Islander

craiger wrote:
justintime wrote:

Whatever you do, don't try falafel from this place in Oxford England near the Zodiac! Me and my girlfriend ate there in April, and she ended up getting food poisoning from the place. Needless to say, she hasn't had a falafel since!

I'll have a look for it one lunchtime in Birmingham; I should be able to find it somewhere. Sorry to hear about the food poisoning (quite common in fast food places here I'm afraid)! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 12:56 am 

newworldslacker83 wrote:
This has been so helpful. I mean, I don't know anyone out east and you got to admit, when you have no friends or loved ones around you, moving far away can be more than a little frightening. I realise that it sounds silly, but it was 4 in the morning and I was just getting panicked for the situation.

I'm so insanely excited about the Dropkick Murphys concert announcement, I've been to 3 of their shows and I have to say that I loved them. Aside from Flogging Molly, they are the only "pub-rock/Irish-punk" bands that I have listened to and enjoyed.

Thanks Craiger and the rest of you for the encouragement, I'm kind of feeling pretty positive about the experience. If I ever bump into any of you in a bar somewhere, lets have a beer.

Just a note to Calico Cat, I am a real person, I'm pretty offended that you think that I'm...what? a "towel-head"? What are you going to call me next, a Paki? Honey, I was born and raised in Canada, I've got as much a right to call myself Canadian as any one of you. You might think my wanting to find a Arab restaurant an ethnic and self-segregatory thing, but think of this fact; most "British" descendant Canadians enjoy Irish, English and Scottish beers and foods, why can't I enjoy something from my ethnic heritage without being told to go back east on a camel and wear a turban? Did your mother ever teach you to insult women like that? For shame.

Sorry if that was a little bitter, but I'm getting a touch tired of racism. Thanks a bunch again and again to all those who've been so helpful. You've turned me around on the whole "is it going to be fun?" issue. I seriously owe you.

Absolutely not, welcome to our country, please do not judge my fellow citizens by the ignorance of others, including my own...

Yes, we do not have the social life of an international city of 3 million people... but ,,living in Charlottetown will be fun.... for you..

Normally one would do a bit of 6th grade geography, If you would like a safe family based small town atmosphere... This is the place to be! It's Anne's land fer god's sake.

Based on your research I suggest Scarborough. Jane and Finch.. You won't be so terrified... Plenty of social life and entertainment... Theater? its on your door step.

Calico, don't feed the trolls, they multiply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2006, 9:35 am 

craiger wrote:
justintime wrote:

And whatever you do, don't eat too much of it. Why else is it called "falafel"

Eat too much and you "falafel" afterward.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 7:14 pm 
True Islander

Billy wrote:
There is none of the "city life" in all of Atlantic Canada. Keep an open mind and you may enjoy yourself here.

WRONG - Halifax has lots of "city life"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2006, 11:12 pm 
Almost an Islander

I must of missed you saying .......when are you moving down.....We should all meet at Hunters some friday or saturday night....

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2006, 7:37 am 
True Islander

jafo wrote:
Billy wrote:
There is none of the "city life" in all of Atlantic Canada. Keep an open mind and you may enjoy yourself here.

WRONG - Halifax has lots of "city life"

I'd have to disagree, there is lot's to do in Halifax but there is a definate shift in culture when in a bigger city like Montreal, Toronto or to a lesser extent Ottawa. If someone were used to "city life" those places, Halifax wouldn't measure up I'm afraid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next