* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2007, 10:21 pm 
True Islander

blondie2 wrote:
Yes I certainly want to prevent this from happening to someone else...you maybe right...but knowing everything I do I can't but wonder who really is at fault...where is the problem. I know it is with the Doctor but at the same time people in high powered positions knew this doctor had done serious damge to women, they did nothing and then it happened to me. So who is resonsible...the Doctor, surely if the Collage have had done their job this would not have happened to me. Actually I only told part of my story. The other part was how this Doctor (from another country) could not pass the exam to practice in Pei so six doctors signed a waver so he could practice here. So who do I go after?
It really is a very long story with a long winding road that is very political.

None of this is for you to decide. You also need to write all this down (which you are doing by proxy).

10 bucks and 30 minutes is not going ot be a huge loss in your life.

Compare what you went thru - what another person might go thru - and 30 minutes.

No brainer.

Phil

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2007, 11:05 pm 

Johnny wrote:
My wife and I had Dr. Lecours at the Polyclinic as a Dr. until 1 1/2 years ago. She then suddenly drop us and over a 1,000 other patients and moved onto something else. :twisted: Which sucks. Anyone know of any Charlottetown Dr taking patients, other then the one on Water St who charges too see him?

The way the rules work, which some doctors are obviously not doing, is that every new potential patient is 'supposed' to register with the province. Doctors are not supposed to be taking on new, or even accepting returning old patients...but nobody plays by the rules and that is why i'm waiting.

The doctors tell me they can't take me back, even though i had them in the past, but apparently some, are slipping patients back through the back door.

maybe if doctors were fined for this...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 7:43 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

philipw wrote:
None of this is for you to decide.

Compare what you went thru - what another person might go thru - and 30 minutes.

No brainer.

Phil

I think that's kind of harsh. Obviously not words from somebody who was victimized and knows what victims go through.

Those 30 minutes could turn into years for her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 9:45 am 
Almost an Islander

Thank You Frankie, I do feel like I have been victimized. I have tried to let this go but it just keeps eating at me plus the quilt I feel for trying to let it go .....
I just can’t understand how we have allowed the Government to run our Health system. Their job is to run the government of PEI. What does Chester Gillian know about Doctors, Nurses etc... Let’s put it back the way it should be, people educated in Health care should be running their system and the Government should keep their noses out of it. If Doctors answered to their peers and decisions were made based on facts and the betterment of the patients and not what is best for the Politicians we just might have an alright system.
I really believe that if we didn’t have a shortage of Doctors the Doctor at PCH would not be employed…is having an inadequate Doctor more important than not having one?
God it feels good to get all of this of my chest!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 10:39 am 
True Islander

FRANKIE wrote:
philipw wrote:
None of this is for you to decide.

No brainer.

Phil

I think that's kind of harsh. Obviously not words from somebody who was victimized and knows what victims go through.

Those 30 minutes could turn into years for her.

My 30 minutes six years ago have turned into a life time.

I had a doctor prescribe the wrong medication - nearly kill me and then try to sluff it off. I was able to successfully file a complaint - have him sanctioned - but under the then rules of the college - the information could not be made public. I can only hope the doctor got smarter.

She already has the years of suffering sadly. The objective now is to ensure that another person is never subjected to the same type of dangerous medical care.

I'll live with my affliction now - and will for the rest of my life - and every time it hits and knocks me down I remember that a**hole and his smirk when he tried to blame everyone else and not himself for writing the wrong script.

Phil

We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 12:22 pm 
True Islander

As for getting a lawyer, i do agree if you can do it. Dont assume that you will be able to just ' get over it ' when its been eating at you for 2 yrs. That is just not healthy for you. It cant hurt to at least check into it, i do agree with phil, and i dont think he's trying to be heartless, i just think he just would like to see you get some justice for it. Even if you get no money out of it, at least it will go public and people will be more aware of what this Dr is like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 12:26 pm 
True Islander

holly golightly wrote:
and whenever I was in the hospital at the end of April with kidney stones, they had me all pumped full of morphine, I could barely speak...and the doctor refused to explain some of the procedures, side effects..etc. to my parents, even though I was half asleep.
friggin crazy.

I've had this problem before... so, if they don't ask, I always tell them before they dope me up.. my mom is my next of kin.. whatever you can say to me, you can say to her, and if I can't do it, she is the best one to make decisions for me..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 1:15 pm 
True Islander

line twig wrote:
my wife, when they were trying to diagnose her a couple of years ago, needed a test done. fine . they did the test here, but had to ship the whole kit andkaboodle to halifax to be diagnosed. the reason? it was an expensive test and the governement didnt want to pay the 1200.00 to have it tested here. 1200.00. for a tax payer on our fair island. and supposedly a simple test too, according to her dr's. evn they were shaking there head on that one.

I can add to this one too... when I was younger, I remember having blood tests done, testing the levels of antirejection medication in my system.. they used to take 2 samples, one tested here, the other tested in Halifax.. it was done this way becaise Halifax didn't trust the testing done here...

Personally, I think Halifax has gone downhill big time in the last 5 or so years too.. but that's just an opinion...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 1:38 pm 

I investigated getting a lawyer after my incident at the QEH but was advised not to even bother trying..The Doctors on PEI will band together when one is sued and they will always fight to the death...I was told don't even bother thinking about an out of court settlement as a lawsuit against a doctor will always end up in court..Their theory was even tho this doctor misdiagnosed me, did a wrong surgery on me and almost killed me he ultimately saved my life after his own mistakes and I should be grateful..

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 1:58 pm 
True Islander

RedRock wrote:
I investigated getting a lawyer after my incident at the QEH but was advised not to even bother trying..The Doctors on PEI will band together when one is sued and they will always fight to the death...I was told don't even bother thinking about an out of court settlement as a lawsuit against a doctor will always end up in court..Their theory was even tho this doctor misdiagnosed me, did a wrong surgery on me and almost killed me he ultimately saved my life after his own mistakes and I should be grateful..

i believe that, its the same in most places i think......

A few years ago i took my son over to halifax for alergy tests. I had them done in summerside once, and wanted further testing as there seemed to be something else triggering things and a dr in charlottetown recommended halifax. Off i go with a friend and my 4 yr old. The dr asked me questions about my house and i do believe there was only one thing that i did not know that he asked.....

he asked what insulation i had, i had R20 and i had a vapor barrier i had chipboard in the walls, and i had styrofoam SM for on the outside. etc etc.....keep in mind i was married to someone that did construction so i knew what i was talking about. He asked what the child had on his bed for sheets, blankets , which was totally cotton because i knew that he had to be away from wool and he reacted to nylon......etc etc you get the idea.....

he did the tests and i really didnt learn much more than i already had found out but that was fine. ...

As he was helping the child ( again the child was 4 ) buckle his overalls, he started speaking to him about byafrians ( sp ) and then about men liking to look at women with no clothes on......but by the time they found out they looked better with them on, they were already married to them......

now by this time i am almost freaking inside, and i was trying to get my friends attention for her to take my son out so i could rip a strip off of this pig....but she was looking at the floor trying to keep herself calm so she would also not freak out....

i called my son over, and we all walked out of the room calmly, altho he did say goodbye and i said nothing because what was going to come out of my mouth was not fit for my son to hear.....

i did almost drive back and freak but i decided instead to take it to the medical board in halifax......

i went to my family dr, and asked him what was said by this dr, and told him what happened....he said he was not allowed to show me what the dr had said, but he said he was going to put the file on his desk and i could wait for me in his office.....lol ( i loved that dr who has since passed away ) i took the file, and i took notes on it.......it was 13 pages long ( which my dr thought was nuts and he had commented on the other dr being like a man that was like a man that was asked how his trip to town went and then he talked about it for hours ) ...anyway.....the other dr had said i was very vague about the questions about the house and how it was built, he insinuated that i lied that the child had proper sheets and no carpeting and filters in the vents etc.......

nutball......

then he commented on me being 25 mins late for the appt ( i was less then 10 late because i was not used to halifax ) he then said that i did not even say goodbye to him......

( im assuming this guy was either in a bad marriage or getting out of one )

ok so i wrote a letter to the halifax medical board ( or whatever it was called ) and their reply was.....

i could leave the office at any time, and they would do nothing to the dr for anything that was said.......

after paying to go to halifax, getting someone to come because i was not used to city driving ( not even charlottetown ) paying for meals etc etc,,,,,,and the comments being at the end of the app.......

i think of this now and then.......and wonder where the guy is now.....and what females ever cross his path......

maybe not a medical thing, but talking filth to a 4 yr old.......priceless

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 3:02 pm 
True Islander

I think the biggest problem here is that not enuf people are complaining publicly and loudly about shoddy medical practices.

Under the old rules - any complaint to the college became confidential. As did the results of said claim. I believe they are now committed to more openness - but since the college is made up of doctors then that is like allowing the fox to count your chickens each night.

If you have a bad experience file a complaint - and at the same time write a letter to the editor. If the complaint is serious enuf see a lawyer.

Quite often it is not the immediate affects of shoddy medicine - it is what happens to you far down the road that will have the biggest impact.

We seem to have no problem complaining about shoddy service in a restaurant or store - yet when it comes to our health we let it slide.

I have had many good experiences with doctors - many which have left the province now - as one doctor put it - "I can no longer work in a place that rewards poor doctoring" (paraphrased).

But that one experience mentioned above now makes me very leery of doctors - especially those in emergency at the QEH where my incident happened.

Phil

We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 7:13 pm 

Dr.s on PEI (one's I have encountered)....haha

When I was pregnant with my daughter (eight years ago) I went for my routine ultrasound. During the ultrasound, the radiologist had a fearful look in his eyes and left the room to get a second opinion. During the next hour, I had several doctors & nurses enter the room (nobody said anything to me/wouldn't let me in on the situation). Anyway, the bad news was that my baby apparently had no brain formation and they were giving me two choices.
a) I could have an abortion.
b) I could continue my pregnancy. After the baby was born there was no 'knowing' if the child would die instantly or survive. (They told me that chances are that the baby would be institutionalized beacuse it wouldn't be able to see, hear, talk, eat, etc.)

Anyway, I don't believe in abortion so I decided to go full term and deal with the baby's death when the time came.

June 21st, 1998 my 7lb 9.5 oz baby was born very healthy. She is know eight years old, very intelligent...not a da*m thing wrong with her, except that she talks too much!!!!haha

Last year, I was diagnosed again with cancer. The doctors here gave me lass than a year to live. I took out a bank loan (and with the help of my incredible fiance, who pretty much saved my life) I flew to Toronto and received a better prognosis. I took a new medication which cost me many thousands of dollars and I am very healthy/cancer-free right now.

Last summer, diagnosed with a different kind of cancer (cervical). Dr's on PEI told me I had to have a full hysterectomy and scheduled the appointment. My finace once again suggested I fly back to Toronto to have a second opinion (we want to haver kids) so I did. Hysterectomy-NO. Surgery-yes. Can I still have kids-YES.

Not saying all dr's on PEI suck...but there are two examples of the incompetence I've dealt with, personally.

Edit to add:

After having belly surgery this past summer, I spent one week in hospital and came back to PEI. Three days later I ahd a major infection (many pints of fluid leaking from my incision). I went to my family physician who told me to lay in bed and that antibiotics were not necessary. So, I went home and followed his wisdom to find myself at a near-death state after two days. My blood pressure was 56/38 and I was so weak and pale that I could barely sit up. I decided to go to the walk-in-clinic where I lied to the DR. and told him that I had a sinus infection so I could get antibiotics. Four-five days later I was 100%. This is not rocket science....I diagnosed myself.

Last edited by Lee berkym on January 20th, 2007, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 7:30 pm 
True Islander

Lee berkym wrote:

When I was pregnant with my daughter (eight years ago) I went for my routine ultrasound. During the ultrasound, the radiologist had a fearful look in his eyes and left the room to get a second opinion. During the next hour, I had several doctors & nurses enter the room (nobody said anything to me/wouldn't let me in on the situation). Anyway, the bad news was that my baby apparently had no brain formation and they were giving me two choices.
b) I could continue my pregnancy. After the baby was born there was no 'knowing' if the child would die instantly or survive. (They told me that chances are that the baby would be institutionalized beacuse it wouldn't be able to see, hear, talk, eat, etc.)

Anyway, I don't believe in abortion so I decided to go full term and deal with the baby's death when the time came.

June 21st, 1998 my 7lb 9.5 oz baby was born very healthy. She is know eight years old, very intelligent...not a da*m thing wrong with her, except that she talks too much!!!!haha

Last year, I was diagnosed again with cancer. The doctors here gave me lass than a year to live. I took out a bank loan (and with the help of my incredible fiance, who pretty much saved my life) I flew to Toronto and received a better prognosis. I took a new medication which cost me many thousands of dollars and I am very healthy/cancer-free right now.

Last summer, diagnosed with a different kind of cancer (cervical). Dr's on PEI told me I had to have a full hysterectomy and scheduled the appointment. My finace once again suggested I fly back to Toronto to have a second opinion (we want to haver kids) so I did. Hysterectomy-NO. Surgery-yes. Can I still have kids-YES.

Not saying all dr's on PEI suck...but there are two examples of the incompetence I've dealt with, personally.

unbelievable........and scares the *hit out of me......

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 7:34 pm 

shelley wrote:
Lee berkym wrote:

unbelievable........and scares the *hit out of me......

Incredible.....every day I look at my daughter and wonder what my life would be like if I had followed their advice. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 7:38 pm 
True Islander

Yes, if you had of listened, it pretty much could of ruined you......and killed her........

scary scary stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 7:42 pm 

shelley wrote:
Yes, if you had of listened, it pretty much could of ruined you......and killed her........

scary scary stuff

very much so....

In my situation, getting a second opinion off Island has saved myself and my child. I understand that not everyone has the money/opportunity to go to Halifax/Toronto beacuse it does cost money. But, if it means picking pop bottles out of the ditch or getting it from the bank....a second opinion could save your life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 7:46 pm 
True Islander

often makes me wonder if we get the bottom of the barrel when it comes to drs, i mean i have had a few awesome ones.....two i believe, but both have died so it really leaves the barrel almost empty.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 7:51 pm 
True Islander

shelley wrote:
often makes me wonder if we get the bottom of the barrel when it comes to drs, i mean i have had a few awesome ones.....two i believe, but both have died so it really leaves the barrel almost empty.........

i pointed this out earlier in the thread, and got jumped on for it. as i said before, we have poor facililities, poor equipment, and little money for dr's, is that a recipe fr the best and brightest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 7:54 pm 
True Islander

line twig wrote:
shelley wrote:

i pointed this out earlier in the thread, and got jumped on for it. as i said before, we have poor facililities, poor equipment, and little money for dr's, is that a recipe fr the best and brightest?

really tho, why would the best and brightest come here? .....Only and idiot would spend tonnes on an education, and then go to a spot where they are on call 24/7 and get paid half of what anyone else is getting......sorry but red dirt and some red pigtails just arent worth it..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2007, 7:56 pm 

shelley wrote:

Yes...I'm sure there are some Dr.'s who are fantastic and truely do their best....but it makes me wonder...Dr'.s all go to medical school where the same cirriculum is taught to every student (plus you need a B+ average to be even considered for medical school). So why are some Dr.'s good and some bad? IMO, it's because Dr.s jam their appointments together in 15 minute blocks...and they are always running late so you are in and out very quickly. So, is it greed?

I have more confidence in a medical syptoms book (and diagnosing myself) then I do in going to the doctor's office.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next