Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Fajita Friday at Chartwells UPEI for $5.29 [Remind Me]

Lunch Roast Turkey Buffet at Rodd Charlottetown for $13.99 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Aliant on Strike...who Cares....Competition is GOOD
PostPosted: April 24th, 2004, 6:29 pm 
The Aliant Company employees are now on Strike...so who really cares...gawd I read on here few days ago if they did indeed go on Strike the Internet would Shut Down....PULEASSSSEEEEEE....the internet or for that fact phone services will not shut down if Aliant goes on strike.....gawd I can't belive Friends or employees( one in the same I Imagine) would try scaring the public like that...Please People... Aliant as well as its employees have to realize the Telecommunications Industry was deregulated and now there is Competition in the Industry so maybe it is time for both sides to realize this and get a grip on Reality...guess what Aliant or the Aliant employees.....WE CAN GET ALONG WITHOUT YOU....there are other companies and employees who are just as good and just as competent as YOU....

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2004, 8:42 pm 

Reminds me of the old days where lazy overpaid postal workers held the taxpayer for ransom every few years... Now who gives a s#!t about the post office... Direct deposit, internet banking/bill paying, electronic funds transfer, e mail etc. etc. In any event any corner store can offer whatever 'postal' needs I may need.

It is a rare occurance at my household when an overpaid laborer delivers a piece of paper that I actually 'need'.

Same thing with telecommunications, can't blame the phone people for trying to wring out the last cent from management though. .. before they slide in to oblivion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2004, 9:23 pm 

You are both wrong. No we cannot get along without Aliant. Little do you know but "ALL" of the Atlantic Seaboards Internet services run through Aliant, this includes Eastlink. Do you not remember the last time MT&T went on strike and someone sabotaged the phone service and Cape Breton was without phone service fore about 3 days. They were left without contact with anyone. Can you image if the most venerable part of Aliants system (the Internet) went down the ripple effect it would have across the provence, Atm's, interact, emails etc....

What the workers are looking for is security. A friend of mine works there and he was telling me that under Aliants proposal that if they (management) decided that they needed you in Northern Newfoundland today you will be gone no choice. What does this do to families etc... Shouldn't it be left up to someone volunteering to go on their own?

Give these guys some credit, I don't think any of them wanted to go on strike the company left them with no choice. They have been negotiating for 2 1/2 yrs. Employees keep giving and Aliant hasn't been doing the same.

Help these guys out, deliver them some sandwichs, juice etc..... They are humans after all

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2004, 12:43 am 
Tourist

I do agree with most of your post 'view' but delivering some sandwichs, juice etc is a little bit of a stretch, I think they can afford their own strike or not.

Fact: Eastlink wouldn't exist without Aliant.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2004, 12:59 am 
Eastlink would so exist without Aliant in fact we would most likely have even better service if the government when they deregulated the phone industry also changed the management the structure so that NONE of the old MONOPOLY companies were still able to operate in the same way.....People may think that ALIANT lets Eastlink use their lines and poles...but guess what Alaint has no Choice in the matter and besides if look to history you will find that most of the infastructure put in place by Island Tel was in fact partly paid for by the taxpayer...
Aliant Management and it workers needs to come to the realization that they are no longer the only kid on the block......Aliant Employees (like their Former Island Tel employer/employees) are seriously over paid for what they do.....ask some of the same employees at Eastlink.....
So Aliant go on strike...stay on strike who cares...you can NO LONGER hold the people Hostage.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2004, 9:32 am 
Tourist

Everyones entitled to their opinion and mine is that Eastlink would be nothing if it wasn't for Aliant. I'd prefer to keep both so that there is at least some competition.

As far as service goes, Aliants DSL is superior to Eastlinks cable and I don't know why but since a few friends of mine switched to Eastlink for their phone service I can barely hear them. I don't know why because I'd assumed that they were using the same lines... o well... don't really care. DSL is what I'm interested in so I ain't budging. They'll be back to work in a matter of weeks.

And, for the work they do, Aliant employees are well paid... wtf are they looking for more monies for? I know some that work there in the phone centre and get $17+/hour... while the rest of PEI call centre are stressing their employees to hell paying them $7-10/ hour. Yes I realize the difference in call centres in this instance but my gawd more money?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2004, 10:19 am 
True Islander

DSL is a hell of a lot slower then Cable.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2004, 10:49 am 
I have highspeed at work and dsl at home. I don,t notice anything different! I am happy with dsl! Its a little sow with downloads but I don,t download very often only what is essential! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2004, 1:41 pm 

The Aliant strike is about security. Aliants management wants to merge the existing 9 different contracts into 1. It is the way management wants it to end up is what caused the strike. Yes deliver some sandwichs, and ask anyone of them what this strike is about. I know and have spoken to quite a few of them (yes I delivered them food on Friday) not one has ever mentioned money as a factor, parity yes money no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2004, 4:18 pm 

I know people who work for the Phone company as well, and the strike has nothing to do with money, even though the papers list this as the number 1 concern. As far as I have been told wage was one of the things they agreed on quite a while ago

Quote:
I know some that work there in the phone centre and get $17+/hour... while the rest of PEI call centre are stressing their employees to hell paying them $7-10/ hour

So these companies are paying the proper wages and Aliant is overpaying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2004, 4:45 pm 
Tourist

edgaudet wrote:
DSL is a hell of a lot slower then Cable.

For online gaming Eastlink doesn't even begin to compare.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2004, 5:03 pm 
Tourist

Billy wrote:
So these companies are paying the proper wages and Aliant is overpaying?

Aliant is paying the proper wage (on the high side imo) and the outsource call centres are just reaping the benefits from cheap labor.
Remember, the outsourcing centres are the backbone of our "IT Industry"... :lol:.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 26th, 2004, 8:52 pm 
True Islander

I agree we do need both Aliant and Eastlink . I wish we had a third and fourth company also.

I still don't believe the hype about the "Internet going down" if Aliant goes down. Yes Aliant and its former companies installed the lines and poles but as far as I know they gave up their monopoly status when Eastlink was granted access to the lines. If you share a fence with your neighbour who owns it?

...and no I'm not delivering sandwiches to the strikers, why would I? That's crazy. They're great guys but it's none of my business. I'm sure they just want it to be over with as little fuss as possible. It's like a domestic dispute...keep your nose out of it or they could turn on you! You never know what you're getting into.

As for DSL versus Cable. DSL speed varies with distance so if you're really far away from the central office it'll be slower than someone close to the central office ( 5.4km ). For Cable it used to be how many people in your neighbourhood had cable internet access, but I think that's changed from what I can recall. To compare you'd need someone with both and they were close to the central office for the DSL and also in an isolated area for the cable.

Cable:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cable-modem.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_modem

DSL:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl10.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 26th, 2004, 9:07 pm 

Bring Back the CB Radios!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2004, 8:39 pm 
True Islander

The thing I don't understand is that if the Aliant workers are so worried about security, striking doesn't seem to be the answer, it gives Aliant more of a reason to outsource those jobs. If it's about money, the same thing applies. Outsourcing is a necessary evil for modern companies to remain competitive, cause if you aren't using call centres, you know you competitor will and undercut your prices. Tell me if I am oversimplifying things here.

Post subject: Strikers....
PostPosted: April 30th, 2004, 12:46 am 
This is just a simple Observation from something I saw today at the Aliant Offices in Charlottetown......while I may not have a huge amount of sympathy for the Strikers I felt even worse for the Management Today...when I drove by the Fitzroy Street Office of Aliant...there posted on Big Signs were the words" Today's Scab Workers"...only problem is that they were all management People who had their Names in big Block letters for everyone to See who Drove by.....now a couple of the Names I did recognize and they were more than anything just people I knew worked at Aliant...although I had no idea what they did......
What I felt was real sympathy for those so called managers who would be asked or told to do the work of the Strikers...but what really annoyed me was the fact that they really don't have any say in whether they do the work or not.....BUT what Right do the Strikers have to post their Names on big Signs on the side of the Street....
Can you Imagine if some of those people friends or even worse maybe some of their Kids Friends drive by and see that......geez they are just doing what they are told to do......they really don't deserve to have their names splashed on big signs and to made to look like bad people......
After I saw that I just thought I HOPE that the Aliant Management makes this into a VERY long Strike maybe even into next winter.....
There are ways to behave even when you are on STRIKE and if the Aliant Employees don't know what proper behavior is than maybe the rest of should show them........

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2004, 1:58 pm 

up til now, i had supported the striking Aliant workers. i mean, they have the right to strike, why not, it doesn't affect me. if that's what they need to do to get attention to their needs, i don't see how it 'hurts' anything.

that changed when i saw striking workers picketing outside the HOUSE of a so-called scab worker.

never mind the fact i knew the person who lived there. can they DO that? can they picket outside someone's private residence? that's just a little bit beyond the reasonable lines of decency!

so, they had my support until i saw them outside a private house. the names on the boards down at the Aliant station, fine wh atever. they are names that you can barely see driving past. but outside the homes...grrr.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2004, 2:37 pm 
justanothernickname wrote:
Bring Back the CB Radios!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Still got mine! All hooked up in my truck! Wip antenta to boot! Yee haa! :lol: :lol: You would be surprized at how many people use them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2004, 3:02 pm 

The "managers" that are working still for Aliant are not Scabs. They are not in the same Union as the people who are striking. A scab is someone from the same union who crosses the line to go back to work. These picketers are using the word scab because it makes these "managers" appear like bas%$@#s and that is just not the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 30th, 2004, 3:12 pm 

Location: hmmm handle says from Souris, but in Ch-town........sounds like a toughie
belle_nelle wrote:
that changed when i saw striking workers picketing outside the HOUSE of a so-called scab worker."

never mind the fact i knew the person who lived there. can they DO that? can they picket outside someone's private residence? that's just a little bit beyond the reasonable lines of decency!

If the owner wanted to they could call the RCMP and have them removed for tresspassing. of course in regards to strikers, that just means they move to the side of the road.
And I hope it's a long strike as well, there are some ways to handle a strike and I've seem just about every dirty trick used so far.