Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:36 am 
True Islander

Most of the members? I can only really recall you, steve and Riki saying anything about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:39 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

crimespree wrote:
Most of the members? I can only really recall you, steve and Riki saying anything about it.

Most of the members who have moved to the Island as teens or adults, not most of the members.

And don't forget "From-Away" :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:44 am 

Move to PEI...are you crazy?

Nice place to visit, but come on, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:44 am 

I can't imagine that there will be much trouble finding a job in IT with a PHD in Computer Science. I know that CGI is hiring right now and are looking for 50-100 people and pretty much everyone I know that has applied has received an offer.

Just search under Canada and PEI.

http://www.cgi.com/web/en/careers/working_at_cgi.htm#

It may not be what you are looking for with your PHD but it would certainly give you employment until you found what you wanted. I'm not sure of the pay range but I know people that went for over 55k which is pretty good pay for PEI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:46 am 
Almost an Islander

Socrates wrote:
I can't imagine that there will be much trouble finding a job in IT with a PHD in Computer Science. I know that CGI is hiring right now and are looking for 50-100 people and pretty much everyone I know that has applied has received an offer.

It may not be what you are looking for with your PHD but it would certainly give you employment until you found what you wanted. I'm not sure of the pay range but I know people that went for over 55k which is pretty good pay for PEI.

This was what we were told to apply for by the PNP Manager :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:48 am 

On PEI, employers don't like degrees or licenses...they don't want to have to pay proper wages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:53 am 

justintime wrote:
Socrates wrote:

This was what we were told to apply for by the PNP Manager :lol:

I have my doubt that they will be able to find 100 experienced people to fill the jobs here and I know they are paying decent wages. Good luck with your search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 8:54 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

emankin wrote:
On PEI, employers don't like degrees or licenses...they don't want to have to pay proper wages.

That just depends upon the employer, Nick :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 9:01 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Socrates wrote:

Geez, just checked that site and I do have the majority of the skillsets they are looking for :shock:

If I were 10 years younger, it would definitely be worth looking into!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 9:08 am 
True Islander

I think PEI is a great place to live. I would recommend if you do come, move to Ch'town, or close too it. I would agree that in smaller communities, they are a little leery of outsiders. I'm not just talking about people from out of province, but anyone from out of the community. But for the most part, if you move into a community here, I think you'll be welcomed with open arms.

As for the climate, I think you would like it here. We have nice summers. Doesn't get too hot, but it's generally very comfortable. Average temp in the summer would be around the low to mid 20's. We also don't get a lot of rain, especially compared to England. We also have great beaches here, so if you like to head to the beach, we have plenty of options.

Winter is obviously a bit more harsh than over there. We usually do get some cold spells, and it can get quite cold in winter, but overall, it's usually not too bad. Temp in winter usually ranges from -3 to -11. We do get some major storms over here in the winter, usually 3 or 4 good ones at least. An average storm would probably have 20cm of snow or something, but like I said, we probably only get 3 or 4 big ones a year.

Unemployment is high in the province, but with those kind of qualifications, I'm sure you could find something. There is a building in charlottetown called the Atlantic Technology Centre. That is where a lot of tech companies set up shop. That would be the first thing I would look at in terms of employment in your field.

So yeah, I'd highly recommend living here. It's a pretty laid back Island. Population of about 138,000 people. Around 40,000 live in the ch'town area. I would say there is definitely a strong sense of community here too, and I am sure you would have no troubles fitting in at all. I would say our province is a bit more conservative than other provinces in Canada, but nothing to worry about really. But if you would like more info about PEI, I'd recommend checking out the Government of PEI website. Here is a good start:
http://www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3 ... 033&lang=E

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 9:10 am 
Almost an Islander

Thanks Craiger, this is how I imagined it to be. I have scoured the gov.pe.ca for the last couple of weeks now and I'm very jealous of what you guys have around you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 9:12 am 

Kreskin wrote:
emankin wrote:

I'm not nick. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 9:22 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

emankin wrote:
Kreskin wrote:
emankin wrote:

I'm not nick. :?

Oh sorry, you prefer Johnny Twofingers? :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 9:25 am 
Almost an Islander

One point I will make, and maybe Sirius has this view or maybe not: the UK is probably one of the rudest places to come from. Ignorance, not looking you in the eye and general looks of disgust are a daily occurence.

So if someone makes the effort to gossip about me in any way, to my face or not, I would be pretty impressed :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 9:27 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

justintime wrote:
One point I will make, and maybe Sirius has this view or maybe not: the UK is probably one of the rudest places to come from. Ignorance, not looking you in the eye and general looks of disgust are a daily occurence.

So if someone makes the effort to gossip about me in any way, to my face or not, I would be pretty impressed :lol:

You'll do just fine here!!! :D Great attitude!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 9:28 am 

justintime wrote:

We're already gossiping about you. :lol: :lol:

I wasn't supposed to tell you that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 9:42 am 

You dont usually hide it. LOL

I come from a small town. probaly 80,000 people and you still get gossiped about round here by some, others yopu dont know from adam as they are very unfriendly.

Same world over

I just want space for my kids to grow up in a safe enjoyable place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 10:13 am 
From Away

I think you get "the island mentality" pretty much anywhere. IMO, it doesn't matter where you go, you have these kind of people to deal with. Maybe PEI is much smaller,hence.. making it more noticeable.....Although, hearing some of these stories really makes me wonder about wanting to move there :D The same mentality is here in Ontario as well. I guess you can never get away from it........

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 10:18 am 
True Islander

IMO, some members seem to exagerrate those stories and the impact it has had on their lives, I would recommend you come here in person and see what it's like before moving. Anyone on this board would love to take you on a mini tour of the Island, well I would anyhow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 10:22 am 
True Islander

Likewise, yup!

Also, I think topics that go in this direction make visitors paranoid about this supposed mentality and perhaps over sensitive to a point of looking for it.

That's just my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next