Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pros and Cons of buying eye glasses online?
PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 10:54 am 
Almost an Islander

It seems that every website I click on now has an advert for relatively inexpensive eye wear. I recently got an eye exam and found my sight now requires a more sophisticated lens--either a progressive or bifocal.

I have always used the services of an optician. I recently asked them about this online trend and got their take on it. Of course they are going to not like certain kinds of competition, but they made some very, very good points about the inaccuracies found in those lenses.

I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with their online purchase of eye glasses, especially if your lens is progressive (more than single vision). Also how to you manage all the fitting that is necessary?
Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pros and Cons of buying eye glasses online?
PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 1:24 pm 

Just don't do it.

You can get a great deal and the quality can be from garbage to stellar, but it is a crapshoot and mostly is bad.

Online ordering misses features you get with an optician. Your eye doctor doesn't give you your PD (pulillary distance), the height of each eye and the distance from your nose to each pupil. The optician does this. Without these being accurate you can cause stress in your eyes and train your brain to use your eyes improperly.

The lenses are cheap plastic mass produced instead of made to order.

Some eye doctors have information about the risk of on-line glasses. My doctor has some, he is J M Rusk.

I've tried once and found that even though I measured my own PD properly, the centre of each lense is not where my pupils are. My on-line purchase cost me $35. Not a bad price for the lesson even including the fact that they sent me the wrong frames.

I can use them for star-gazing if I put a wad of tape on one side of the bridge but the glasses I got from WalMart works better: no distortion.

My neighbor has a pair from the same place that work perfectly. She has a perfectly symmetrical face. Total retail price after delivery: $15.

Crapshoot.

- The Dolphins from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Douglas Adams

PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 2:14 pm 

Marketplace has investigated the eyeglass racket.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/framed/

PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 3:17 pm 
True Islander

Pogo wrote:
Just don't do it.

You can get a great deal and the quality can be from garbage to stellar, but it is a crapshoot and mostly is bad.

Online ordering misses features you get with an optician. Your eye doctor doesn't give you your PD (pulillary distance), the height of each eye and the distance from your nose to each pupil. The optician does this. Without these being accurate you can cause stress in your eyes and train your brain to use your eyes improperly.

The lenses are cheap plastic mass produced instead of made to order.

Some eye doctors have information about the risk of on-line glasses. My doctor has some, he is J M Rusk.

I've tried once and found that even though I measured my own PD properly, the centre of each lense is not where my pupils are. My on-line purchase cost me $35. Not a bad price for the lesson even including the fact that they sent me the wrong frames.

I can use them for star-gazing if I put a wad of tape on one side of the bridge but the glasses I got from WalMart works better: no distortion.

My neighbor has a pair from the same place that work perfectly. She has a perfectly symmetrical face. Total retail price after delivery: $15.

Crapshoot.

Friends of mine have ordered off of clearly contacts multiple times and the quality has been great. The prices have been unbelievably cheap and I believe your first pair may even be free. I just had my eyes tested and I'm through paying $400 for a buy one, get one free pair of glasses. You can ask your optician for the missing information that they don't always include on your prescription. There is also a number on the inside arm of glasses, mine is 52-17-140, and I think that is the distance from your eyes or something. I forget exactly what it is but if you like the current fit of your glasses, you should order new ones with the same numbers.

Any eye doctors talking about the risk of on-line glasses are full of crap as far as I'm concerned and are just trying to protect their business. In terms of quality, clearly contacts sells name brand glasses so they'd be the same quality as in store just without the outrageous mark up.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 5:43 pm 
Almost an Islander

I've ordered from both Clearly Contacts and Zenni Optical and was happy with the quality of the products and the prices were sooooooo much less that I will definitely be ordering any future glasses online. I admit, I did go to my local optical store to try on glasses and see what I liked and even went so far as to get an estimate for my lenses (strong prescription required) and it would cost me $538 for glasses there. Since I already knew what kind I wanted I found a similar pair on zenni optical. They had a buy 2 get a 3rd pair free sale on so I got 3 pair of glasses including shipping for $95. I had to adjust the arm tension and nose pads myself with the adjustment tool included with the glasses but since I saved more than $400 it was worth it.

In my experience, Clearly Contacts is more expensive than Zenni Optical but they do allow you to return the glasses for one year for any reason. Zenni Optical does not allow returns but glasses are very inexpensive (quality seems good for both - comparable to glasses I've bought at optical store)

Hope this helps

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 7:41 pm 
Newly Created Account

I've ordered from Clearly Contacts more than once, everytime they have a free pair I pick up another frame style for 16$ shipping. They're better quality than what I've paid 500$+ for from Family Vision Center. We ordered a pair of Oakleys for my boyfriend for 179$ frames, lenses, all the extra coatings + shipping, and they wanted 610$ for the same in town.

You can ask for your PD from whoever did your eye exam if you aren't comfortable measuring it yourself as well.

I recommend taking the measurements from a pair you own already so you can compare to the online measurements.

Clearlycontacts has a 365 day return policy, they pay the shipping if you want to send something back, and have some of the best customer service I have EVER dealt with. I strongly recommend trying them. They also give you the first pair you order form them for free minus shipping. If you can't locate the coupon code it's - fpf301 - They constantly have codes for free pairs on their facebook as well. So try a pair for 15$ :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 15th, 2012, 9:05 pm 
Almost an Islander

The free pair from Clearly Contacts works out to closer to $95 for my prescription as I need the higher index lenses. Prices are also more if you need progressives.

If you're considering ordering online, I'd suggest comparing prices for your vision requirements on both websites before making a choice. For the first time you order, you might want to go with Clearly Contacts because of the return policy. And once you feel comfortable with ordering glasses online, pick up some inexpensive sunglasses from Zenni Optical. They have prescription sunglasses for about $15, which is less than I pay for a pair at the drugstore.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 8:39 am 
From Away

Eye Glasses has been added to the list of purchases I will Not be making on PEI. A lot of PEI Businesses have out-priced themselves. When HST comes into play in April, my list is going to get a lot bigger.

Buying Online or Cross Border can save one up to 70% and a bit more in cases. Plan ahead, a little foresight should be good.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 10:09 am 

Clearly Contacts is online? I thought that they had outlets... their reputation sounds good... but you need an optician to measure your eyes.

craiger wrote:
There is also a number on the inside arm of glasses.

That number is the same number that was on the frames before you walked into the optician. The numbers on your frame are things like temple length, bridge size, etc. Nothing to do with your PD from the bridge etc.

craiger wrote:
Any eye doctors talking about the risk of on-line glasses are full of crap as far as I'm concerned and are just trying to protect their business.
Crap? No.

Protect their business? Absolutely! Since the optometrist makes prescriptions it would look bad on the doctor if you end up with a disaster. My eye doctor will stop seeing me if I use on-line glasses.

Any optometrist worth his or her salt does not need that kind of patient.

craiger wrote:
In terms of quality, clearly contacts sells name brand glasses so they'd be the same quality as in store just without the outrageous mark up.
True, but you don't get them matched for your head. Some people get lucky. Like I said before, it's a crapshoot.

But my gawd, glasses are expensive. Vogue sells garbage and the 2nd pair free is little different than a scam. Matheson sells quality, but the price is like Vogues. Walmart tries to up-sell like mad. Go in for what would be $200 pair of glasses and come out $600 poorer... and not have what you need.

Glasses really cost about $20 to manufacture. You're paying about 95 to 99% of your price for warranty. Go back with a problem and the repairs, frame replacements, lens replacements are free - indefinitely for two years most places.

They have us by the short 'n curlys but on-line is not the answer. That's a dangerous waste of 20 or 30 bucks.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 10:44 am 
Almost an Islander

What is dangerous about it?

I can't speak for anyone else but if I put on a pair of glasses that are the wrong prescription, I can tell.

The PD measurement was included on my prescription from my eye doctor but the Clearly Contacts website also includes instructions for measuring it yourself. All you need is a metric ruler (and preferably a friend to help).

Online may not be the answer for you, but it is for me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 11:16 am 
Almost an Islander

One thing I just noticed about the PD from my optician is that I'm quite asymmetrical--different measurements from each pupil to the nose bridge.

In the section where you enter you PD on Clearly Contacts they tell you that if your measurement is given in two different numbers (because you are asymmetrical) then simply add them together. Um....wouldn't this cancel out the specific measurement for my particular eyes??? The lenses wouldn't be correct for my pupils.

Maybe I'll just buy the frames online without the lenses and have my optician put them in (they don't have a problem doing that)...it seems that the lenses are the major expense. Is there a website just for frames?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 7:25 pm 

My glasses from Zenni were shipped out of Eastern China. My neighbours from California. Zenni might just be a broker.

My wife and I ordered identical frames. Neither pair was the frame we ordered and came in different from each other. I ended up with a full frame, she had a half frame. Her glassed didn't work for her at all, mine can be used for long any distance beyond 20 feet, but not safe for driving.

Over half the people who ordered on-line that I spoke to were happy with what they got. I don't know if they notice little problems or if they're truly wearing quality.

If you're going to order on-line anyway do yourself a favour and take your glasses to your eye doctor to have them checked.

Don't bother going to your optician because even though they have all the skills to check them out - they would be in conflict of interest and "of course your glasses are inferior". They want your business.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2012, 11:28 pm 

I got a free pair of quality designer glasses for free ($10 S&H) from Clearly Contacts. My only complaint is that I had to make some adjustments myself when I first got them, which resulted in a screw falling out and took me about an hour to get back in.

I'd be willing to pay for glasses online the next time I need a pair, but if I have the extra cash, Vogue would be my first stop. They have the best customer service that I've ever experienced.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2012, 5:16 pm 

Here is a CBC MarketPlace report and links on glasses.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/framed/

Might be more objective...

PostPosted: September 18th, 2012, 9:12 pm 
From Away

I'm a regular customer of Clearly Contacts and I agree, the service is fantastic and the quality of their glasses is the same as all the optical stores.

Todd

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: September 18th, 2012, 9:32 pm 
Almost an Islander

Anyone that would pay $150+ for frames in the brick and mortar stores need their head examined - not their eyes.
I started wearing glasses in 2006, and then required progressive bi-focals the next year. I bought every pair I have had online and have never had a bad experience.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2012, 8:21 am 
From Away

I recently ordered 4 pairs of glasses Online. It took about 5 days to get them. The four pair delivered cost $61 and change. I had one of the pair tinted and use them for sunglasses. They change the colors slightly. The yellow line is different shade of yellow. All glasses were coated for glare and scratch. One of my glasses is a bit too tight. Since they were so cheap I may heat the frames up in an attempt to widen them.

Overall, for what they cost, I am pretty happy with the glasses ordered Online.

Not long ago I paid over $500 for a pair. Put them in the case when I was not using them. Lost them in less than a month. Replaced them with a pair purchased locally. In around $200. The frames warped, a lense continually pops out? No idea why, weird. Replaced those with a pair around $180, with all the coatings and shizz. They kept getting dusty and needed to be cleaned constantly.

EyeGlass sales in the Maritimes are complete rip off. There is no need for them to be as expensive as they are. I do not want to pay so much for glasses (up to $500 a pair) to pay for their grandioso facilities or whatever they use the small fortune for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 6:39 am 
From Away

I've bought from both ZenniOptical and Clearly Contacts. Of the three pairs I've ordered, I love two. One I returned and ClearlyContacts made it a very easy process. They were just too small for my face and the prescription did seem off (distortion.)

I am a bit of a klutz and have young kids. More than a few times I've had my glasses knocked off my face and scratched up, so I tend to replace them a bit more frequently than I would otherwise, so this saves me a lot of money.

I'm planning to try contacts soon and plan to get them from an optician the first time, then will likely buy them from CC after that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 3:20 pm 
Almost an Islander

I just purchased a pair with progressive lenses and they are great. My eye doctor completed my eye exam and gave me the prescription, including the PD, so my glasses cost me $65.00 with a sunglasses attachment. Very happy with the service.

An eye wear store recently quoted me over $300. just for lenses.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2012, 3:49 pm 
From Away

I bought a pair of prescription sunglasses from Zenni a couple of months ago. Progressive high index lenses with all the extras they were offering and they were around $100. They arrived within days.

The lenses are not as good as the Nikons I have in my regular glasses but the last pair I bought was just over $1200 so for sunglasses I am quite pleased. And, yes, the frames were just under half of that $1200 so I did buy what I wanted.

My wife is a retired optician and she was sceptical to say the least but considering the savings she measured my pd for me and to date I have no complaints.

I travelled a lot when I was younger and bought glasses in many 'third world' countries where the optometrist - not the optician - was often no more than 12 or 13 years old. This is not a complicated thing they do. The 'pre-screening' done by an untrained receptionist before you see the optometrist gives him the prescription before he even starts his song and dance in the darkened room well over 95% of the time.

I have been wearing glasses for 53 years and the only problems I have ever had were in Canada with optometrists. A class of medical practitioner that doesn't even exist in Europe according to my wife who was born and raised there.

Profile E-mail