* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: 11 kids found in cages in Ohio home.
PostPosted: September 13th, 2005, 5:20 pm 

This is truly sickening...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9319446/

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2005, 5:30 pm 

that's just sick.. they should be shot :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2005, 5:35 pm 

Most of those kids are probably now developmentally f**ked up for life...although I guess there could still be hope for the 1 year old.

In similar cases when the kids were treated in similar fashion for years, they ended up becoming mentally retarded to some degree.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2005, 5:38 pm 

Poor kids....I hope those people get what is coming to them....the sad thing is, can you imagine how much of this abuse goes on everywhere and only a fraction we find out about? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2005, 6:12 pm 
True Islander

dam I better stop lockin the boy in his closet lol, JK i not gonna even look at that link. I just don't understand how people can do things like that to their kids. I gave most of my life up for my son.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2005, 9:07 pm 
True Islander

stevebeairsto wrote:
Most of those kids are probably now developmentally f**ked up for life...although I guess there could still be hope for the 1 year old.

In similar cases when the kids were treated in similar fashion for years, they ended up becoming mentally retarded to some degree.

THe article says that most of them already had mental problems.. autism, fas, one boy was said to be born with HIV.. the sad thing is, kids like that are usually left to rot in institutions... these ones were adopted... unfortunately, the didn't go to the best home....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2005, 9:09 pm 
Entertainment Director

It also says they were all adopted or foster kids. Don't they check out the homes before the kids get placed there? That seems kind of fishy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2005, 9:27 pm 
True Islander

The article said that they were checked and given glowing reviews.... wonder how closely they were checked..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2005, 9:28 pm 
Entertainment Director

Must've missed that... I was probably seeing all red by the time I got that far :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 14th, 2005, 2:37 am 
True Islander

It may sound sick but I took some interesting facts from the case...

It said that "some" of the kids slept in cages...
It said most the kids had ailments from Autism, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome to HIV
It said they were among the best dressed kids around and played normally in the yard.
It said they were advised to confine the children at night by a Psychiatrist.

These are not people being paid by the state to care for children in foster care but adoptive parents.

All the above being said, I am going to need to know a whole lot more before I know how to react.

When they say 3.5' cages stacked, I assume they are the normal legnth of beds and the normal width...the storey didn't bother to mention. Was the Psychiatrist contacted for further info?

Some children with both Autism and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome are very difficult to manage and could have wandered off at night...is this why they were told to lock them in some way? It sounds barbaric but I am not as concerned if this was just protection during sleep if they were at risk.

This certainly doesn NOT sound like the case like the kid in NS (I think thats where) a couple of years ago who was chained to his bed for something like 12 years and the neighbors didn't even know they had this kid.

These kids were well fed, well dress and in all other aspects, well cared for. They seemed to have loads of toys and allowed to play outside.

Have you seen how some Autistic and Fetal Syndrome, as well as other ill kids are cared for in some state facillities? Many are confined as though jailed and brought in common areas during the day, more so they can be watched by limited staff. Often there is no attempt to teach them anything or provide a quality of life.

What has bothered me about this whole case is:

Why did a couple go out of their way to go and adopt kids with specific sever disabilities unless it was to provided enhanced care over that provided by the originating facillity? It certainly doesn't seem like it was for exploitation. They were not keeping them at subsistance levels or the children wouldn't have been so well fed and well dressed? Indeed...why?
Obviously these people went to great expense to adopt these kids and raise them? Why?

If this case turns out to be legit and the reaction was improper, I would hope the AP stringer is fired. More importantly, any editor that did not see something unusual over this should be sent where he would be responsible for editing nothing more complex then "See Spot Run".

A story like this needed some verification before press.

A few paragraphs, especially in an AP story doesn't satify my need for info.................................................................

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2005, 9:05 pm 
Almost an Islander

edgaudet wrote:
These are not people being paid by the state to care for children in foster care but adoptive parents.

Ed you missed a fact. From the above link:
Quote:
He said then that his wife received $4,265 a month in government adoption subsidies and disability payments for the children.

That was in 2001. I can imagine they are receiving quite a bit more with 3 more children, inflation, etc

I pray for those children.

-g

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2005, 9:09 pm 
True Islander

You are correct Georgie. Actually I hadn't followed that link. I read the article on another network which had excluded that salient point...

I withdraw my comments.

See...I can have my mind changed!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2005, 9:30 am 
True Islander

Even if they were being paid, from that story you can't tell whether there was any abuse or malicious intent. Don't be so quick to judge people based on small, vague news story with no details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2005, 9:43 am 

Cages?! How the hell can that not be considered malicious?

I'm an adoptive parent, and stories like this make me want to vomit. Not only for what these people did, but for the fact that way too many families are like this or worse...whether adoptive or biological. This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to child abuse....and it sickens me to feel so helpless about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2005, 9:49 am 
True Islander

Because we don't know the circumstances of the children's health, and how they were treated, and whether they needed to be restrained for there own safety, and how they treated during the day, and whether they were reassured and loved, or the parents side of the story, or the kids side of the story, etc., etc., none of you know whether they were abused or not. You can assume all you like, but they are just assumptions.

Is sleeping in a cage worse than being restrained with straps in your bed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2005, 10:06 am 

Yes, I agree that we most definitely don't have the full story. But if the children were removed from that home...put back into the system that obviously was itching to get clear of them in the first place...there's something up.

Quote:
Michael Gravelle acknowledged that the couple had had problems for many years but said they had done their best to provide the children with a good home.

“I dearly love them,” he said in a filing dated April 18, 2001. “I have done nothing wrong to the children in the house.”

The couple had reconciled by May and eventually adopted three more children.

Why were THREE more children placed with these people when they had "problems for many years"? Especially high special needs children? WHY are 11 kids placed with one family...a family with problems to begin with! Why did the system that is supposed to look out for the best interests of these children send them into that situation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 17th, 2005, 1:30 am 
True Islander

It depends on the problems... sounds like marital problems that they're talking about there.... if a couple has marital problems, then reconciles.. why should they not be allowed to adopt??

Again, we don't know details on the health of the children... a cage might have been better than straps to keep the children in bed... some probably would have had tendancies to get up and wander the streets in the middle of the night... remember, some of them were mentally handicapped... and locked doors can't even keep 2 year olds in the house... trust me on this one.. *L* so it might have been the only option...

it's hard to pass judgement without knowing all the facts...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 17th, 2005, 5:10 pm 

Rikimae wrote:
It depends on the problems... sounds like marital problems that they're talking about there.... if a couple has marital problems, then reconciles.. why should they not be allowed to adopt??

I have no problem with a reconciled couple adopting. What I don't agree with is dropping three more kids with a couple who already has eight special needs children living with them. On top of marital problems (that they claim they have reconciled), there is no way that these people had the resources to properly care for that many SN children. I'm a firm believer that every child deserves/needs a permanent home...but not to their detriment.