* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Sunday Brunch at Rodd Royalty for $16.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: anyone familiar with a babysitting co-op?
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2005, 8:34 pm 
Almost an Islander

does anyone know if there is such a thing as a babysitting co-op in Charlottetown? Where mothers/parents take turns babysitting each others kids, no money exchanged, just points/tokens, etc

also looking for playgroups around town.

thanks,

-g

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 22nd, 2005, 9:07 pm 
True Islander

Heh...if I knew anything about such issues or places would make people look at me funny...I don't have kids.

I ain't no Michael Jackson.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2005, 9:40 pm 
True Islander

haha....all i could think of was...' sunday school ' :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2005, 10:30 pm 

no hijackin threads people...........remember :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2005, 9:59 am 
Almost an Islander

justanothernickname wrote:
no hijackin threads people...........remember :shock:

aren't you cute?

are you volunteering to babysit? not that i would leave my child with nik... there would have to be criminal checks... and probes... :shock:

-g

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2005, 10:16 am 

i don't think i could afford to take care of your kids..........no joke intended :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2005, 10:21 am 
True Islander

Probes...sounds kinky hehe

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Playgroups
PostPosted: August 28th, 2005, 5:37 pm 
True Islander

Georgie

I just moved to PEI from Alberta and have found a great play group with Chances (892-8744)- they have playgroup on Thursdays from 9 - 12 (drop in) in Charlottetown and on Fridays from 9 - 12 (drop in) in Stratford. I've been to both one time and my 2.5 year old daughter loved it. It was well organized and lots of kids to play with. Parents were very nice to boot, so I feel quite comfortable making this a weekly routine for us.

I do not have any info on babysitting Co-op, however, that's a good things to bring up at Chances - maybe they have some info...never though of it. Good idea.

Chances also has some great fall one night sessions coming up for info workshops - looking forward to some.

Les

Post subject: Re: Playgroups
PostPosted: August 28th, 2005, 9:06 pm 
paella wrote:
Georgie

I just moved to PEI from Alberta and have found a great play group with Chances (892-8744)- they have playgroup on Thursdays from 9 - 12 (drop in) in Charlottetown and on Fridays from 9 - 12 (drop in) in Stratford. I've been to both one time and my 2.5 year old daughter loved it. It was well organized and lots of kids to play with. Parents were very nice to boot, so I feel quite comfortable making this a weekly routine for us.

I do not have any info on babysitting Co-op, however, that's a good things to bring up at Chances - maybe they have some info...never though of it. Good idea.

Chances also has some great fall one night sessions coming up for info workshops - looking forward to some.

Les

Let us know how your making out on then island, Maybe start a new string! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2005, 9:35 pm 

I've heard arguments that women should be put on maternity leave until their young 'uns reach school age so they could look after them in their "tender years" and nurture them properly. Once they're off to school, the women could then resume their professional careers once again.

Of course, that would be financially unfeasible. No employer would ever again hire a woman who was still in her "breeding age" as it would represent too much of a risk. Who the hell wants to pay for somebody not to work for them for 5 years? And what if they have 2 or three kids? Maternity leave could then go on for 6-10 years easily. And the taxpayer wouldn't be too keen on paying for such a program either.

As for universal day care, could that not just be another major tax burden no one wants to deal with? The government gouges the country enough as it is.

The current system in place now is horrible, where a couple, or worse yet a single mom, have to pay hundreds of dollars each month for child care, many of whom can ill afford to pay it.

Babysitting co-ops might be the wave of the future, IF everybody involved is dependable. So long as everyone pulls their weight, great! Of course, not everybody is the best babysitter for other people's kids either.

The only other option would be to go back to the 1950's model where the man brings in the income and the woman does the housework/rearing the kids, but women (quite rightly) aren't too keen on such a model.

Still, I remember watching a 60 minutes episode where women who were Ivy League graduates in the best, most promient careers opted for the home life instead of the upwardly mobile career path. It's ironic, their baby boomer mothers fought for women's lib, equal rights in the workplace, etc. and now their daughters want to be June Cleaver.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2005, 11:19 pm 
True Islander

The thing with maternity leave is that it's not just women who take it.... fathers and grandparents can take maternity leave as welll... Fathers can take up to a year, the same as mothers... I've only heard of grandparents taking about a month....

Profile E-mail