* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 3:34 pm 

May I share? S I S (Summerside Intermediate) was simply Hell. I was a military 'Base Brat'. Went to school all across the country. SIS was the worse. Enjoyed other schools, played on school ball teams, not a jock, not a nerd, not a tard, 'just regular',, Summerside was a horror show. I wasn't an Arsenault or Gallant and my parents worked, I guess that made me 'odd' . Yes, they closed down the base but it wasn't my fault as the old man was one of the last people out...

Not unique for any back water burgh I know, but stuff happens.

C.C

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2005, 3:58 pm 
True Islander

I was born at the base. Just after the lights came back on I believe - June anyway. (In 1956 a Jan. ice stoem wiped out electricity across Western PEI and Queens county - it took six months to get it fixed).

We lived there for a few years - none that I really remember well. My father was an instructor at the weapons school. After thatit was back to Slackerfax until he retired to the Island. The family actually proceeded him by 2 years.

Philip W

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2005, 5:48 am 
Kreskin: YOu have said you were bilugual. How did that happen with you living on the West Island?I lived in a staunchly wasp area ,StLambert where hardly any english kids took french seriously. My dad from England my mom and two sisters were all biligual All lived in the MIlle isle area of Montreal but we moved to the south shore when I was 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2005, 5:51 am 
Calico Cat wrote:
May I share? S I S (Summerside Intermediate) was simply Hell. I was a military 'Base Brat'. Went to school all across the country. SIS was the worse. Enjoyed other schools, played on school ball teams, not a jock, not a nerd, not a tard, 'just regular',, Summerside was a horror show. I wasn't an Arsenault or Gallant and my parents worked, I guess that made me 'odd' . Yes, they closed down the base but it wasn't my fault as the old man was one of the last people out...

C.C

CAlico: What made you move back to the Island? Our maybe you never left. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2005, 6:09 am 

lanc wrote:
Calico Cat wrote:

C.C

I left after for about 15 years right after high school. Joined a firm that transferred me to cities in Nova Scotia, Alberta and Ontario. There was an opening in PEI that was posted a few years back, and I thought "hey what the hell, even though it was a lesser dead end position, I'll have them cover the cost of selling my house, pay moving costs etc as I would probably end up back here anyway" (wife is born n' bred here). Boss's thought I was nuts. Here I am, still adjusting to the bush and whining about it.

It is a nice cheap place to live and raise a family though..

Calico.. Button pusher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2005, 6:45 am 
Calico Cat wrote:
lanc wrote:
Calico Cat wrote:

C.C

I left after for about 15 years right after high school. Joined a firm that transferred me to cities in Nova Scotia, Alberta and Ontario. There was an opening in PEI that was posted a few years back, and I thought "hey what the hell, even though it was a lesser dead end position, I'll have them cover the cost of selling my house, pay moving costs etc as I would probably end up back here anyway" (wife is born n' bred here). Boss's thought I was nuts. Here I am, still adjusting to the bush and whining about it.

It is a nice cheap place to live and raise a family though..

Calico.. Button pusher.

Nothing wrong with a dead end job! I have been in a dead end job for 20 years which equals no worries at the end of the day. Probably make more money than the boss! He has to flee to cuba for a rest I have to flee to home! :lol: YOu couldn,t have made a beter decission to move back to the island. If your kids make the decission to move to torunna to make there millions they will appreciate what they had at home on the island!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2005, 7:57 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

lanc wrote:
Kreskin: YOu have said you were bilugual. How did that happen with you living on the West Island?I lived in a staunchly wasp area ,StLambert where hardly any english kids took french seriously. My dad from England my mom and two sisters were all biligual All lived in the MIlle isle area of Montreal but we moved to the south shore when I was 3.

Never said I was bilingual, Lanc. I guess I could "get by" and carry on a conversation, but I would hardly have called myself bilingual. But I didn't achieve that proficiency (such as it was) in high school ... that was just the foundation. The real learning came first when I joined the workforce and moreso when I bought my first house out in Ile Perrot in a totally French speaking neighbourhood.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2005, 8:34 am 
Kreskin wrote:
lanc wrote:

Never said I was bilingual, Lanc. I guess I could "get by" and carry on a conversation, but I would hardly have called myself bilingual. But I didn't achieve that proficiency (such as it was) in high school ... that was just the foundation. The real learning came first when I joined the workforce and moreso when I bought my first house out in Ile Perrot in a totally French speaking neighbourhood.

Interesting! I better get back on the subject of highschools on the island. By the way my daughters talked when they were in Hghschool it wasn,t much different than the island. They always disliked the jocks around the school.
A friend of mine who was is a cop told me he always kept a kean eye on the Jocks in the highschool as they were the ones who got into serious problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2005, 3:53 pm 
Almost an Islander

I went to Waterford-Kamhlaba, a private school in Swaziland, a small kingdom north-east of South Africa. Students were expatriate children of diplomats/people with business interests as well as the children of the ruling classes from other African states.

1. No uniforms, cliques were political even for little kids, terrorist organisation SWAPO was a big no-no but nonetheless quite active on campus. Other cliques: UK with North Americans, North Africans with Middle East, Chinese and Malaysian, surprised?

2. The school was part of a group of schools around the world, one of which is located in B.C. : Lester B.Pearson. Standard testing for these UWC schools was held every year.

3. The school year began in January, with intervals of 9 weeks study and three weeks vacation all through the year with a longer vacation at Christmas. Special weeks of school celebration? .. there was a guerrilla war (SWAPO/ANC and South Africa) ongoing in Angola and I guess we were all a little too politicized for our boots.

4. Yes, I took French and Spanish.

5. The first year of university, the International Baccalaureate, automatically followed the Form 5 (final year). Internationally it is accepted as the two years of university.

I was in South Africa for the next year, we did wear uniforms, and the cliques were fewer – however, I guess, the great white-man clique was pervasive. Standards testing –yes. No school celebrations but lots and lots of field hockey, swimming, I did as much sport as regular classes. Afrikaans was mandatory. Grades ran to Form 5. I was there during the State of Emergency – we could hear the rifles in the townships from our house on the beach – I remember a few times planning my train trip to school with my grandmother while we listened to the radio to find out where the riots were growing, as the fighting was spilling onto the trains as they stopped in the station. School was never cancelled for fighting.

Then I did my Grade 12 at Colonel Grey. Woo boy. Funny I only ever get culture shock when I go back to PEI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2005, 11:19 pm 

Many people have this attitude that fully understand the damage of psychological abuse and bullying, but they're a part of life, it's normal.

I must respectfully call bulls**t on this one. Bullying is not a part of life in the real world. If your boss called you fat or ugly every time they saw you, would you stand for it? Of course you wouldn't, because it's ridiculous behaviour. If your neighbour tripped you up when you passed by, you'd put a stop to it. An abusive co-worker would likely get fired in this day and age, though not with all companies/bosses admittedly. Can you remember the last time your friends all gathered in a group to laugh at your clothes and didn't talk to you for 3 days? For those of you with a company lunchroom, do you spend your time dodging food that the popular employees are throwing at you?

So why do kids have to deal with this? Too many adults have the "it's just what happens with kids, it's normal" attitude, which is doing our children (and did me) a great disservice. Just because something is common in the modern school system doesn't make it applicable to teaching our children how to be a responsible adult, and just because you (and I'm not singling anyone out here, it's just a common attitude) had to "get through school" doesn't mean your kids should have to go through the same experience.

I think it's high time it was realized that school bullying is very much a bona fide type of child abuse, and it shouldn't be tolerated. Maybe it can be just as damaging on the perpetrators as it is on the victims, because people who bully others in school often go on to have criminal records later in life.

At one time, sexual harassment was considered to be OK in the workplace, women just had to grin and bear it. A few lawsuits changed all that. I don't see why school should be any different.

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2005, 1:09 am 
True Islander

They are... most schools now have a zero tolerance policy towards bullying and violence of any kind... children caught bullying in schools these days are suspended... I'm not sure what the offical policy is in the province, but I do know that there is a lot more done to stop bullying now than there was when you, Steve, and I were in school...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2005, 8:19 am 
Almost an Islander

I think this is so, there is a zero tolerance for bullying in PEI schools now. Probably why the anger and shock I have heard from parents about bullying has been they found it was their own children doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2005, 11:28 am 
True Islander

Quote:
Bullying is not a part of life in the real world

Even animals bully.

Philip W

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2005, 12:22 pm 

we didnt really have bullying in Montague. really. In my "AGE" I guess all the cliques just seemed to get along. there were a few scattered fights (usually the georgetowners) but I remember them all even who won. They were actully a big deal and the whole school showed up lol.

we had basically:
Belfast Hall
Georgetown hall
the music people
the hackysackers / usually the music people
and the preps

there were a couple more... and basically everyone kinda mingled and there was no complete segregation. I loved my highschool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 28th, 2005, 7:43 pm 

I went to Parkside for 5 yrs, and was harassed for 3 of those years by a perverted classmate, then it carried on to grade 7, and half of grade 8 at SIS. Finally he moved. thank god. Telling the teacher was no option back then at all. Grade 9 was great, as was high school. TOSH was fun and I had a good variety of friends. From the geeks to the "other side of the tracks" kids. I was drunk at pretty well all the dances, got pregnant in grade 12, graduated, had my daughter, went to college for 2 years, blah, blah, blah!!!!! In between all the horrible times, I do have a lot of good memories from my school days. But I would never want to go back to relive those days!

Profile E-mail