Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sharks vs PEI
PostPosted: June 28th, 2005, 11:44 pm 
Newly Created Account

Am I gonna get eaten?? hehe Two shark attacks in 3 days in Florida got me wondering if there are sharks commonly seen at the beaches, etc in PEI... are there shark nets? is this not really a problem...?

Just-a-wonderin... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 4:41 am 

Location: hmmm handle says from Souris, but in Ch-town........sounds like a toughie
no shark nets...sharks are very rare around the beaches here. We do have them but they prefer the deeper water.......actually I don't even recall a shark attack here. Maybe someone might remember one, but I don't

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 6:39 am 

don't remember any attacks but we do have them. They do prefer the deeper water..No reason to come into the shallow as their isn't an abundance of fish to feed off of like there is in Florida and other places in the shallow water here...They will sometimes follow fishing boats in, I seen a huge Great White that was caught not far off Covehead Harbour many years ago, it was a monster fish must have been 7-9 feet....I don't think the Great White is very common either it is mostly Blue Sharks and Mako's...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 6:55 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Hawk wrote:
seen a huge Great White that was caught not far off Covehead Harbour many years ago, it was a monster fish must have been 7-9 feet...

7-9 feet would not be "huge" for a Great White since 21 feet (6.5 metres) is the average size for an adult Great White. Perhaps you meant 7-9 metres?

Twitter: @Amanda_J_Band

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 8:00 am 

Location: hmmm handle says from Souris, but in Ch-town........sounds like a toughie
lots of blue sharks, we caught 2 jigging cod last year

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 8:03 am 

Yes it is actually what I meant...It was probably about 20 feet so I would say 7 meters...Huge Shark with Huge teeth....somebody else in here must remember seeing or hearing about this Shark that was caught. I was probably only ten so it would have been around 20 years ago..My uncle has a pic of it..I think there has been many caught since but this sucker was the biggest...Acoording to this website I just found beggiest ever caught actually (Canada)..here is the article and yes pictures, looks like it was 5 meters..

http://new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/ ... white.html

"The largest confirmed great white shark caught in Canada was more than 5 metres long. It was caught off of PEI in 1983. Before this, a white shark was caught in a herring weir in the Bay of Fundy in 1930 which was reported by local fishermen as being 11 metres long. For awhile, this was considered the largest specimen ever caught, but when the jaws were compared to that of other jaw specimens, they were more similar to a shark of around 4.8 metres. The world record is 6.3m."

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 8:18 am 

When the movie "JAWS" was first released most people would not go in the water swimming at most beaches across Canada. It was than stated in the papers and on newscasts that there was no record of a shark attack ever occuring in Canada. There may have been some since than but none that I ever recall hearing about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 8:24 am 

I don't think there ever has been either but if there was to be an attack in Canada it would probably be on the Island..someone swimming in the wrong place at the wrong time probably in deep water off a boat or something..suprisingly it has never happened but there is always a chance it could...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 11:31 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Okay, thanks a lot! I don't think I'll ever go swimming again...didn't realize we had vicious fish out there :)

Or should I say, "attack" fish?

I thought it was too cold here for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 1:39 pm 
True Islander

In about 1984, I remember a poor far away photograph in the journal about a whale carcass washed up near Tignish. My ex-wife and her family happend to see it up close.

Though the paper called it a whale, it was a whale of a loie, cause that whale was all shark...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2005, 4:56 pm 
True Islander

You can pretty much say there are no sharks here, other than the "non-biting" kind, or rather not the species that people think of. I think the ones here are called Sand Sharks.

There are a lot of jellyfish that can sting pretty bad. Even worse is when sand is whipped up by the wind and stings you, now that hurts!

Try this:
http://www.mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/shark/

..wow a lot more types than I thought!

Profile E-mail