* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Public Transit Announcement
PostPosted: May 27th, 2005, 1:52 pm 
Almost an Islander

I just heard on CFCY that Polar Pat and Mayor Cliff are going to make a Public Transit announcement later this afternoon. The promised money was wasted in the past on other projects, so hopefully it will actually happen this time.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: The announcement
PostPosted: May 27th, 2005, 3:38 pm 
Almost an Islander

Just heard Mayor Cliff on CBC. 4 buses, covering all of Charlottetown, in place by 1 Oct 05. Run by Triaus tours. Year one operating cost $540,000. The Mayor stated a meeting will be held in June to see if Stratford and Cornwall want to be part of the system.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2005, 10:26 pm 
It's a start, but to draw the largest application for users the area should eventually cover from the edge of Cornwall nearest Borden to Winsloe to the Harbour to Mt Herbert Road in Stratford. This coverage gives the range needed to cover almost all groups who would use the system on a regular basis, once hours of operation were put into effective use ( ie: 0600-2300 / peak hours 0700-0900 & 1700-2200).

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2005, 10:44 pm 
Finally the politicians have got there act together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2005, 10:55 pm 
lanc wrote:
Finally the politicians have got there act together.

I'm not sorry to disagree, but no the politicans don't, "have it together". If they did, the initial operating system would be set up better for Oct 2005, instead of another knee jerk reaction to public demand.

I support public transit not only for it's cost effectivness, but it's envirmontal impact. If the civic authorities in the capital reagion had a transit plan worked out in advance, I am more than sure that could be publicly funded by ALL levels of government for more than 5 years would be announced by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 7:43 am 

Just hope this isn`t a repeat of the previous attempt with Trius , I might be wrong but hadn`t they tried this before with the same company ?

I like a lot of others have been wanting a working public transit system for years.
Rather hop a bus anyday than pay another #*#***# parking ticket . downtown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 9:03 am 

Surely if Kings County NS can do this Charlottetown can. The Kings County Transit system covers and absolutely huge area (Wolfville, Greenwich, New Minas, Kentville, Coldbrook, Cambridge, Waterville, Berwick, Aylesford, Auburn, Kingston, Greenwood, Middleton,
Lawrencetown, Bridgetown, Annaplois Royal, Clementsport, Cormwallis Park, Smiths Cove, Digby Hospital,Barton, Gilbert's Cove, Weymouth.) In this huge area which stretches about 135 KM from end to end, there are only 39,000 people. In the immediate vicinity of Charlottetown (7 KM radius) there are about 50,000. I really don't think these 2 transit systems can even be compared. We need to look at TRansit systems in Red Deer, Fredericton, Medicine Hat, Nanaimo, Cornwallis to see how they are run.

The only thing that will kill this in 5 years will be bad management!!

Last edited by Billy on May 28th, 2005, 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 9:05 am 
Almost an Islander

to get some revinue they should hopefully allow bessinesses to advertise on the buses and the hut/shelters

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 11:01 am 
Last week I saw that the city already allows advertising on the one bus they have running.

and yep, Trius was the company that poorly ran the previous attempt at providing the city with public transit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 12:38 pm 

About time! Let's hope they don't make a mess of it. Public transit will make life so much easier and more pleasant for seniors, students, residents, tourists (and even drivers).

Whoever would have thought C-town would have the kind of snarled traffic you see these days?! Hopefully the bus service will ease congestion a bit. It's such a pretty, pleasant city in so many ways, and a decent transit service will be a real boon to its quality of life. Yee-ha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 1:08 pm 
True Islander

LOL watch for future posts from people criticizing Island drivers trying to pass the bus on University St. 8) 8) 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 7:08 pm 
Buddee wrote:
About time! Let's hope they don't make a mess of it. Public transit will make life so much easier and more pleasant for seniors, students, residents, tourists (and even drivers).

Whoever would have thought C-town would have the kind of snarled traffic you see these days?! Hopefully the bus service will ease congestion a bit. It's such a pretty, pleasant city in so many ways, and a decent transit service will be a real boon to its quality of life. Yee-ha!

Buddee Charlottetown always had snarled traffic along university ave. I can remember in 1976 I would avoid University Ave like the plague because it was so slow. I would turn off the Hwy1 where the old north river drive-in was and drive over to Northriver rd, then drive into town that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 9:15 pm 
True Islander

The bus will only intersect with University in a few places...it will not actually travel on it. I was being facetious.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 9:37 pm 
edgaudet wrote:
The bus will only intersect with University in a few places...it will not actually travel on it. I was being facetious.

Have they organized any route plan yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 10:20 pm 
True Islander

Think they have organized it but still subject to change.

The reason I said it will only intersect with University is that logic dictates they would pick up in the north and south residential areas and cross for drops at 3 or 4 spots on Uni...like at Kent, then midway...over by the Old A & W, then follow Uni to tthe Zellers mall... that kinda thing

they'll probably firm the route up a couple of months prior to the launch.

Sometimes people leave announcements for the last min...Like one I have myself LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2005, 6:47 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

kratz wrote:
Trius was the company that poorly ran the previous attempt at providing the city with public transit.

Yes, but to be fair, they were running it on a shoestring budget because they were trying to do it without any assistance from any level of government. And without money to invest in things like shelters and advertizing, it was doomed to fail.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2005, 7:01 am 
True Islander

Kreskin wrote:
Yes, but to be fair, they were running it on a shoestring budget because they were trying to do it without any assistance from any level of government. And without money to invest in things like shelters and advertizing, it was doomed to fail.

That's exactly what I was gonna say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2005, 7:57 am 
True Islander

Yeah...just like that system which was running over the last 6 or so months... Granted, it may have been a slight convenience to some but lacked the flexibility for people to committ to using it.

For many families it will make a second car unnecessary...for others, it will make most cab fares disappear.

To work, it has to cut through residential areas frequently enough that almost no one has to walk more then 6 blocks to catch the bus. it needs a flexible schedule which students and workers over a broad part of the daytime, preferably 7 am to 10 pm. For it to work people will need to be able to rely on it for work and shopping. To encourage faithfull use, monthly passenger passes should be available as well as special reduced passes for students and seniors. Usually, a general adult pass would be priced at $40. This would be the cost of the person using it to get to and from work and the savings come when you use it other times to shop or go out.

It will probably not serve as many as we'd like at the start. I was impressed at the scope of the announcement suggesting communities like Cornwall acting as feeders to the system with future vans or busses of their own. Mention was also made about more regular transport between the Summerside-Charlottetown corridor in future. Currently, someone in Summerside has to leave Charlottetown by 2:55 pm to get back to Summerside the same day.

Will this be a perfect system? Hardly. Will it be functional? With 4 busses, it will be hard to serve a community this size, but its a damn good start. I suspect about 80% of the population in the area could fall within the 6 block reach. With 4 busses, there will likely be longer waits between busses then in many communities.

I remember looking at a bus system created in a community the size of Summerside and this was done with 4 busses.

Cab drivers are going to be pissed but I have no sympathy for them. I had a discussion with one about a young single mother who has the opportunity to work 5 days a week for 30 hours. I suggested the cost of a bus at $40 a month may make it practical where the cost of cabs at $275 a month makes it impossible for some to work beyond biking distance. Such a woman working 30 hours a week in a 5 day week would take home $700 a month. In such a case, the person may still need some income support but would gain self respect and dignity and experience for better things in the future. Taking $40 out of this for busses would hurt...taking $275 ( leaving a net of $425 leaves very little incentive for someone to go out and work.

The cabbie's response was...no problem, many do it now...they get a second job to be able to cover things.

I've noted some major differences between cab companies here. My knees are bad and there are times it is very painful to walk, especially in the cold. The 1 km walk takes me 40 min a day...not that bad. To cover the 2 km by cab would cost $12 with 2 of the cabs I talked to. Yellow cab, who tends to be opportunistic and have been known to overcharge tourists and refuse runs they didn't see profitable enough, would cost $15.50. Needless to say, I haven't used yellow cab even on a run downttown where all the fares are similar.

In Honesty, I have taken maybe 4 one way cab fares since moving and only when it was impossible to carry groceries, etc.

I see the bus system as a very positive thing for Charlottetown...it will be good for business and good for the poor, seniors, students and families. Added bonus is a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. In fact, the economic factors of the system will allow for more disposable income for families and inturn improved business revenues. The city will see some economic benefits through improved business and better flexibility in planning.

For its part, if even 10 people go partially off assistance, thats better then $50,000 a year benefit to the province in increased tax revenue and a reduction in social assistance.

Just a few thoughts...even subsidized, the system can work and the subsidies will just be a redistribution and actually create more $dollars then it costs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2005, 10:07 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Another concept I would like to see ... park and ride.

Drive anywhere else in eastern North America and you will see "Park 'n Ride" signs on the outskirts of villages like Mahone's Bay (Nova Scotia) to huge cities like Atlanta.

A system where folks in Stratford, Cornwall and some other outlying areas had a place to park their car for free and hop on a bus for dowtown would prove as popular as everywhere else if done right.

It not only gets a lot of cars off the road, it saves commuters lots of bucks ... $2 bus fare vs. $6 parking downtown, wear and tear on vehicle, and reduced insurance premiums.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2005, 4:36 pm 
ANyone know if with the agreememt with the federal and provincial Government. Can the city cancel the service for lack of use? From all the information that I read here and read in the papers people seem to be half hearted about accepting bus service.