Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Taco Bar at Chartwells UPEI for $4.99 [Remind Me]

Supper Martini Mondays at The Old Triangle Irish Alehouse for $5.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Monday Lunch Special at Beanz Espresso Bar for $9.80 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Same sex marrige
PostPosted: March 10th, 2005, 9:24 pm 
I noticed that the Guardian just changed the poll Question I voted and I looked at the results. I was a little surprised with the results. I figured that the reverse would have been the norm. :shock: :shock: :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2005, 9:57 pm 
True Islander

I didn't even see a poll question... I'll have to take a look..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2005, 11:16 pm 
I found it rather surprising. We had a rather long dicussion on this subject and i felt that most of the string was directed towards a appoval of same sex marriage! Strange!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2005, 11:28 pm 
True Islander

I tried to leave my vote on there... but it told me that I already voted... it's possible that I did.. but I don't remember.. *L* I'm guessing that since I'm at work, that someone else from here voted and that's why it won't let me...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 12:06 am 
True Islander

All you'd have to do is clear your cache or delete a cookie and you probably could vote as much as you wanted.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 1:11 am 
True Islander

Probably... just don't feel like doing it.. *L*

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 4:43 am 
Site Admin (volunteer)

lanc wrote:
I found it rather surprising. We had a rather long dicussion on this subject and i felt that most of the string was directed towards a appoval of same sex marriage! Strange!

Yes, the poll was showing strong support of the legislation until a couple of days ago when the Guardian published the results on Wednesday morning.

Since then there has a been a strong surge of "no" votes.

And here is the reason why, I think.

A co-worker's sister-in-law received a phone call on Wednesday night from her minister who asked her if she had a computer and internet access. When she replied that she did, he suggested that she visit the Guardian's website and cast a vote that supported her church's position on the issue.

So it would appear that there is an organized effort on the part of at least one congregation to tilt the poll. Not sure why they would make that effort to influence the results ... it is just an online poll (no one gives any credence to online polls because of their nature) by a small town newspaper in a small province ... like, come on, are the poll results going to make any difference to anyone???

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 9:16 am 
As for organizing the protest against gay marriages by the religious right The KofC in the states sent 80000 buck to canada to lobby its parishners to send in cards to there politicians to oppose gay marriages. So from what Kreskin is saying it wouldn,t at all surprise me.
Lobbying in other religions will be just as intence!I haven,t heard of much opposition around where I am living but I really haven,t talked to anyone about this subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 12:35 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

I still fail to see how getting parishioners to try to influence the results of a minor (and unscientific) poll of a minor newspaper of a minor city in a minor province is going to yield "the cause" any benefit?

Do they think that if Wayne, Joe and Shawn see an anti-C38 vote in an unscientific Guardian poll, they will reverse their vote in the House of Commons? :shock: Gimme a break! :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 1:21 pm 
Kreskin wrote:

Do they think that if Wayne, Joe and Shawn see an anti-C38 vote in an unscientific Guardian poll, they will reverse their vote in the House of Commons? :shock: Gimme a break! :roll:

Well it didn,t. Even if there wasn,t a poll I don,t think politicians should deside how they would vote on an issue using only there religious beliefs. If that were the case I would be forced to vote for gay marriges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 1:52 pm 
True Islander

lanc wrote:
I don,t think politicians should deside how they would vote on an issue using only there religious beliefs. If that were the case I would be forced to vote for gay marriges.

I'm not sure what you mean here, lanc. Do you mean that you follow a religion that is for gay marriages? Or do you mean that if politicians were voting based on their religious beliefs you would be forced to vote for gay marriages as an effort to counter their misguided voting practices? Or do you mean something else entirely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 1:54 pm 
True Islander

[quote="Kreskin"]I still fail to see how getting parishioners to try to influence the results of a minor (and unscientific) poll of a minor newspaper of a minor city in a minor province is going to yield "the cause" any benefit?
/quote]

I think it's the same impulse that would cause a person to bail water with a bucket even though they know the ship is going to sink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2005, 2:54 am 
Rob MacD wrote:
lanc wrote:
I don,t think politicians should deside how they would vote on an issue using only there religious beliefs. If that were the case I would be forced to vote for gay marriges.

I'm not sure what you mean here, lanc. Do you mean that you follow a religion that is for gay marriages? Or do you mean that if politicians were voting based on their religious beliefs you would be forced to vote for gay marriages as an effort to counter their misguided voting practices? Or do you mean something else entirely?

I happen belong to a church that the clergyyperson is advocating that gays be allowed to marry. I personally don,t think homsexuality is normal but it isn,t hurting me or costing me anything so why not let them get married. If I was a M.P. I wouldn,t hesitate to vote yes to Gay marrige and the church wouldn,t tell me what to do. I don,t need some clergyperson making up my decissions UNLESS I ASK FOR IT! Rob,!Don,t even think about going there! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2005, 9:50 am 
I guess the preachers were fligging there fire and brimstone at there congregations yesterday. The poll is running even more on the yes side! :P :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2005, 10:05 am 
True Islander

lanc said:
Quote:
I happen belong to a church that the clergyyperson is advocating that gays be allowed to marry. I personally don,t think homsexuality is normal but it isn,t hurting me or costing me anything so why not let them get married.

If you believe God created the Genetics that make life possible and that this same God made it possible for different varients of sexuality, then it would be hard to agree with your above statement.

Sexuality from a genetic standpoint, is interesting. Many of Gods creatures are asexual (All one sex) while some others go from asexual to sexual, depending on varients like proximaty to the equator, the altitude or even the average humidity of their environment.

Humans and many other animals were endowed with two sexes because it provides protection from disease...you have genetic protection from antibodies from your parents and some protective genetic mutations from your parents, grandparents etc.

In Humans, the level of hormones vary dramatically. Typically women have a factor of 30 (unit of measure unimportant) to 60 of Testosterone. Men have from 600 to 1300 Units. The amount we have determines the male character we portray. Depending on when we have these levels during our development can also affect how and who we are attracted to.

One should think of sexuality in the same light as we view other aspects of humans. We range from moronic to genius...we range from skinny to obese...we range from short to tall. As such, it is clear that god wished diversity in the world.

If God created animals that are attracted to same gender, and if he created men and women who were attracted to the same gender...is it so hard to believe God knew what he/she was doing?

Funny some people are so quick to accept that the Pope is infallible, but think God slips up...a paradox?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2005, 10:32 am 
ED: If I had to make a decussion on your long winded post I would be totally confused. Better my way let them get married! As the guy who is going to run for Governor of Texas says "Gay Marriges! They got every right to be just as miserable!" :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2005, 9:38 pm 
Almost an Islander

To Ed and lanc equally; exactly!! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 2:35 am 
tuxgirl wrote:
To Ed and lanc equally; exactly!! :D

Tuxgirl: THis same follow gave President Clinton a cubain cigar in a room full of secret service people. Clinton said to the fellow "You know its against the law to have cuban cigars in the USA an I can,t except it!" THe follow answered back "Tell them its part of the USA,s scorched earth policy in Cuba. He took the cigar! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 4:08 pm 
Almost an Islander

Location: Currently trapped deep within the recesses of my mind
I like it when people (usually right christies) say that homosexuality is a form of moral laziness. Because I know for myself, being straight and all, I have to work oh so hard and be eternally vigilant to continue being attracted to women... it's like the other day, I wasn't paying attention and "Oh shite! Now I think Frank's hot."

Bear witness for I shall shake the very heavens and topple gods with my rapacity
as I devour the future!
"

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2005, 1:10 am 
True Islander

That makes absolutely no sense....... but then, my brain is also fried from all the travelling I've done in the last 2 days...

Ed.. good to see that you've returned to the online world... you've created quite a buzz by staying away.. *G*

Profile E-mail