* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Supper 25 Cent Wings at Hunter's Ale House for $0.25 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2005, 3:33 pm 

Whoa! That's scary as hell! I didn't know that.

There are occasionally scandals in the US because they'll repackage produce from Mexico or other countries where the food inspection standards aren't as stringent. And there are all sort of products coming from China, Chile, etc -- where they've been known to cut a lot of corners.

Makes you wonder what you've been eating. Makes me even more inclined to buy direct from neighbours (which also gets you around the supermarket ripoff).

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2005, 4:04 pm 
Almost an Islander

I used to be able to buy fish fresh from the boat . Now it's not allowed anymore. Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2005, 5:33 pm 

Location: hmmm handle says from Souris, but in Ch-town........sounds like a toughie
Ginneke wrote:
I used to be able to buy fish fresh from the boat . Now it's not allowed anymore. Why?

main reason is cus it can't be taxed, but they'll tell you its a conservaion reason

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2005, 8:14 pm 
Almost an Islander

That's too bad. I would gladly pay the taxes to get fresh fish, and so would the tourists. Maybe they could post someone on the warf to collect the sales taxes - maybe the person who's usually there to register the catches could collect and foreward the taxes too. (raise in pay for extra work?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 13th, 2005, 2:12 am 
Ginneke wrote:
That's too bad. I would gladly pay the taxes to get fresh fish, and so would the tourists. Maybe they could post someone on the warf to collect the sales taxes - maybe the person who's usually there to register the catches could collect and foreward the taxes too. (raise in pay for extra work?)

When I was living on the island there was a fish monger who came around to your house and sold you fresh fish. On the other hand isn,t there a fish bootlegger on the island or did they outlaw them before they outlawed the real guys! :lol: :lol:
Souris: Got you a new parttime job. Dump those Vacumn cleaners sales!Theres gold in them there fish! :twisted: :twisted: :lol: Just tell your customers just off the wharf from Maine! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 13th, 2005, 3:35 am 

Location: hmmm handle says from Souris, but in Ch-town........sounds like a toughie
lanc, for now my fishing days are over. who would of thought i would find my dream job at ctire ~LOL~

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 13th, 2005, 7:22 am 
Souris: I have been going to C.T for the last month every friday for the gas specials and to look at the tools Guess what I just figured out there ain,t anything else I need. I have bought all the tools for fifty percent off!
Anyways I still wander around like the rest of the men looking for something that I probably will never use waiting for the wife in the grocery store :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 13th, 2005, 8:31 am 

Back to subject. How many who think the Island sucks, would change their mind if they had all the money they wanted? Would you stay and change your life-style? or would you move on. Where would you then call home?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 13th, 2005, 11:42 am 
True Islander

I think everybody, whether they like where they live or not, has a dream home location... I think mine would be in the Turks and Caicos Islands.. but I'd always get back here eventually...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 13th, 2005, 5:26 pm 

Hey Lanc - some good deals at Cdntire this week. I don't know if there's really anything I'm going to pick up though, other than that screwdriver set (I think it works out to about a buck per screwdriver. Don't have the flyer right here)

If I had a pile of money I'd still live here. I'm an Island girl, born and bred. Sure, I'd like to visit other places, and it would be great to be able to go on extended vacations and live in a few other places to see what they're really like instead of just getting the touristy perspective, but they'd never really be home. I'd always want my home to come back to here.

I don't even think my lifestyle would change that much. It would be nice to get out of the work ratrace, but even then we'd just build a shop in our backyard so we could work for ourselves. Even if we didn't need the income, I'd still need to be doing something. It would be great to be able to just spend the days tinkering around. There are so many things I'd like to try my hand at - woodworking, mechanics, metalcasting. Gardening, homebrewing, canning. Yeah, I wouldn't be living any sort of glamorous life if I came into a bunch of money. It would just be nice to be able to take care of ourselves without worrying about everything else. We would buy a new truck though. Maybe even two. And maybe a couple of four-wheelers. =D

Oh well... When I think about it... We're really doing ok. Work gets hard on the head and the body sometimes (more because of lack of sleep than hard labour), but when I think about how hard some people work and how little they have... Some people, it takes all their energy and time just to get their next meal or a warm place to sleep for the night. You have to put things into perspective to realize how lucky we really are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2005, 1:04 am 
Chemgurl: Make sure the robertson amd the philips screw drivers fit the screws

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2005, 2:12 pm 

Okay, addressing the "if I hadda million dollars" question. That is to say, "would you stay on the Island if you had enough money to live anywhere you wanted?"

It occurs to me that a lot of people with lots of money choose to live on PEI, and they're not all coming from away. A lot of Islanders have become very wealthy, and they're building huge estates all over the Island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2005, 8:24 pm 
Almost an Islander

We are pensioners - 1/3 from Canada and 2/3 from Switzerland. Our income depends on the exchange rate. Right now it's OK. Living here is cheaper and especiallly less crowded. That's what we couldn't stand any longer - laws for everything - people checking on each other. Our kids don't mind, on the contrary - they would be scared and bored here. But, we enjoy our freedom. Here, we don't need a permit for every little thing we want to do, like changing the color of our house, cut down a dead tree, water the lawn, leave the wash on the line on Sundays (strictly forbidden!) - get the car inspected every 2 years (if there is just one speck of rust - you can scrap it, nomore license plates!). PEI is paradise, except for the weather and the mosquitoes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2005, 8:58 pm 

Ginneke
Things are headed that way here as well. The Cavendish Resort Area tried to pass a by-law that new buildings had to conform to the older houses with a 45 degree pitch on a roof (I think that was it) and also no vinyl siding, had to be shingles. Some nameless idiot pointed out that Switzerland had by-laws that were stringent, including the colour of buildings. The ideas were quickly shot down. God save us from idiots such as that. Also, look at the law that said I had to give up 10 acres with no remuneration, to keep the cattle out of the brook. As for the mosquitoes, they are indeed pesky but I always figured the weather is what keeps us sane, who has time to get into trouble when all we do is talk of the weather. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 3:05 pm 

The mosquitoes are huge on a lot of people's "sucks" list when it comes to PEI. But, to be honest, they've never really bothered me that much. Now if you get deep in the woods in some places you'd better take some serious bug juice and a net jacket (especially with this West Nile thing). I know a lot of people really react to the bites, and the skeeters drive them crazy (really crazy -- for some folks it's the only issue at election time).

But I've been in places in the country where the bugs are even nastier. I don't know why bugs -- blackflies, skeeters, no-see-ums -- like the weather so much way up north. I honestly don't think the bugs are that bad on PEI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2005, 10:37 pm 

I guess Manitoba reigns supreme when it comes to Mosquitoes and black flies according to some friends of mine over there. :wink: