* Register

* Login 

Reset Password
Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2005, 12:42 pm 

belle nelle,

Okay, good point about the Island-wide bike path -- that's one in the "doesn't suck" column.

Chalk up another for amazing sand dunes, beaches, beautiful warm ocean water (at least for two months a year). Best mussels and lobster on planet! Gahan House beer, spuds, red meat. City Cinema, funny comedy troupes (it's important to be funny when you're in a comedy troupe). Elderly "Salt-o-the-Earth" relations are also a big positive. Also pretty communities, farms, harbours that look like they're part of the landscape -- instead of an assault on it.

I have pointed out elsewhere that the Island is full of excellent babes.

And as for winter ... you gotta admit that the spooky silence and whispering (more often howling) wind across a field or along the frozen shore are pretty neat. The kind of snow the Island gets can be a pain in the butt, and downright deadly .... but it's so amazingly beautiful.

None of the above sucks ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2005, 12:47 pm 

i guess i should say sucks in means of activities. like, out west, winter would be amazing with their hills for boarding and skiing, hiking and whatnot. and yes, a cold winter night with an eerie wind howling can be fun..mostly snuggled up with someone significant (which i lack!)

the best part of winter? the insane amount of time spent on the computer:P

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2005, 7:11 pm 

Okay, it strikes me that we're mostly going on about the landscape, food, weather, etc. as PEI positives. Not all that much discussion about the actual Islanders, hmmmm?

Are we missing the sucko forest for the sucko trees? I mean the physical reality of the Island's nice, but do Islanders themselves actually suck? (Island pronunciation: "sook") Are they in fact the suckiest bunch of suckwads who ever sucked?

C'mon ladies, you're always sooking (in suckily timid little PEI voices) about how wanting Island guys are -- slobby, drunk, rude, smelly, etc.

Let's hear it! Remember, the PEI INFO board is presently fighting the accusation that it's "boring." (Or was it "booring"?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2005, 7:52 pm 

The big problem with you non islanders is that you are trying to figure out what makes us islanders tick. I was born here more years ago than I care to admit, I have lived my whole life here, and as to what makes an islander tick, I can say with all honesty I don't have a clue.About the only predictable thing about an islander is their unpredictability.

You recent residents to PEI seem to think this attitude is reserved for someone who moves to our fair isle from some where else. Sorry to disappoint you but if you move from one island community to another you also get treated as a stranger so to speak. A number of years ago I moved from the S'side post office to a new job in the Montague post office. I was greeted very cooly by the local residents for about a year and than I was gradually accepted in the community but it did require a lot of effort on my part. In fact one day while talking to a customer he called me the import.

I think this true story from Montague pretty well answers the question of what is thought of people who move into a small community.

In Montague every morning around 7:30AM a bunch of seniors used to come into the box lobby get a guardian and discuss the news and what was wrong with the world & how they would correct it. One morning a man walked by the post office to which was heard; " who is that fellow, I don't think I know him?" another responded; " he is from Montague, remember when he moved here from somewhere else." To which another man said; " he may live here but he ain't from here."

To be honest folks PEI is not unique if you move to any small community almost anywhere you will be met with the same attitude and in some cases a lot worse. I could state some cases where you would not believe how people moving into communities were treated including death threats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2005, 8:49 pm 
Islanders talk about people from away. It ain,t any different where I am living in eastern Ontario. There is lots of natives around my home that consider me a person from away. You want a job iwith the Gavernemt forget IT. Outsiders not wanted! My mother in law lives with two of her kids out in rural manitoba they have lived there 23 years and they are still the easterners.MY old boss moved out in the country near Brockville but had alot of neighbours around him that were X Quebecers so he never saw it. LAst year because of age/health he sold and moved into Brockville. He doesn,t like it there. People are very cool to outsiders. I really think its a part of living in rural Canada. People become very defensive because of jobs, we have strangers among us, whatever reason. I still say if you want to move and can afford it PEI is still the best place in Canada to live.
There are still places on the island where people from away are still welcome with open arms. I know that for a fact. I remember we had a decussion here about some communities that people said were hostile towards people from away. I checked it out. I talked to one lady who was from away in one community and she told me she was from Ontario. I ask if she would ever move back. She said never, she loves the place where she lives. She is in Business for herself and doing well. I have met another preson outside a potato warehouse having a smoke in really rural PEI. There is no friggon Jobs. The individual was from Ontario and I got the same answer. NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2005, 9:04 pm 
Almost an Islander

I have never felt so welcome as here on PEI. No sooner had we stopped the car and the trailer in the trailerpark across the bridge, or the real-estate agent showed up. She drove us all oover the island until she sold us an old schoolhouse. After we moved in, a neighbour came over and invited me to the women's institute meeting. I became a member and enjoyed every reunion. But, we didn't like the house - moved to a place in the bush. Still, the neighbours came - invited me to join the seniors carpt bowling club. I did - it was great while it lasted. Then my asthma came back - that's apparently a typical Island curse - but now socializing is very limited. Lucky that we found such a beautiful place to live - I watch the birds. (They are from "away" too)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2005, 8:08 pm 

Buddee said:

"I have pointed out elsewhere that the Island is full of excellent babes."

Indeed there are, but any girl on the Island who's even half hot knows it, and the Island being the small place that it is, they usually have the snobbiest and bitchiest attitudes around, so I wouldn't really call it an advertising point. Fun to look at, but don't bother making any moves...

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." --Aesop

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2005, 10:13 pm 

Maybe it's not the moves...but the mover :) and as for the Island sucking, maybe it's the people who think money should grow on trees and the streets should be paved with gold, yeh, that's it - it's not that the Island sucks, it's the suckers!

Post subject: PEI sucks, but not as much as other places
PostPosted: March 10th, 2005, 8:56 am 

The government always sucks (it doesn't matter who's in, Islanders still take it without a kiss even). The economy sucks, and no amount of government money (my money, your money) will ever change that. The scenery is nice, in the summer, but for the other 9 and a half months the weather sucks too. The xenophobic nature of Islanders sucks BIG TIME. It's one of the most sucky things about PEI. I vote everyone be forced to live off the Island for at least a year or two so they learn to get along with others. The women are stuck up, but not more than any other place I have ever seen, so suckage factor is low there. The guys suck because they are stuck at the bars getting hammered then hammering each other for lack of a better activity, which sucks yes? Did I mention the government sucks? One of the suckiest things about PEI is how there are way too few Islanders. If there were, say, 5 or 10 times as many as there are, the nosy ones would really have a tough time knowing everyone elses business. Nosy Islanders? Yes, they really suck. I think something else that really sucks is how much Islanders worry about "what people might say, think, etc...". This sucketh greatly.

There are so many places that suck worse than PEI it's not funny. Have you ever been to Crack Alley, USA? I have. It really sucks. The poverty and hopelessness in many US cities and towns I have seen is not present in PEI, I think because Islanders do take care of each other. Which does not suck!

But when I hear people talk about how PEI is the greatest place in the world to live, I have to ask myself if that person is off their nut. It's pure boosterism, the power of positive thought applied to the obliteration of reality. Don't worry, be happy.

PS: Don't reply with a list of things that is great about PEI. That would be off topic. And I already know there are great things about PEI anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2005, 10:14 am 

Places are as good as YOU want it to be. Just because maybe things don't always go your way don't sit back and blame everyone else by such a tag line as this place sucks. Maybe if you helped do something about it then it wouldn't.

There are a lot of us who love living here, for the good and the bad. If I didn't like it here then I would move, but I wouldn't say it sucked just because I didn't like it.

Give us a break!!!!!!!!!!

Never hold your farts in. They travel to your brain and that's where shitty ideas come from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2005, 11:58 am 

steve and y2imm,

As you get older you'll find that all the girls from high school who married abusive hockey heroes and "baid boys" (that's not a typo -- the island pronunciation is "oh, dear me, that one's a baaaiiiid boy") are having big-time regrets.

And the Island baid boyz' hard-living -- boozing, brawling, drunk-driving, smoking, and eating pizza for breakfast -- thins out the male herd considerably. Before you know it, most of the lads you knew from school are bloated, drunk, ugly, or gone to mainland.

By the time you're in your late twenties, there just seem to be all these intelligent, lovely, sensible, sexy ladies around who haven't had a date in a year. I stand by my claim -- the Island is Babe-alonia. You just keep aging, young fellas -- you'll see.

y2imm is dead on about the Island's biggest point of suckage though -- da government! Scandalous suckage, and until Islanders can stop squabbling about how much of the pork pie their particular constituency gets and start focusing on building a real future for every single Island kid, that outrageous suckage will continue. The politics -- especially now, when real opportunity is being shamefully pissed away -- is the great single suckage point for me about PEI. A place that sells out its children's future better take a long hard look in the "we suck" mirror.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2005, 8:57 pm 
Almost an Islander

Well, I came from away - from Switzerland. Now, there is a beautifull country, just too bad it's so over-run by tourists there is nomore room for the "natives". Then I discovered PEI. A different kind of beauty, different kind of people, not so crowded like Switzerland and definitively not so expensive. Just the right place to actively retire. We bought a good chunk of it - 140 acres at first, then re-sold 70 acres on demand for blueberry fields. Hubby is turning it into a nice domain, with all kinds of trees and trails - keeps him busy and me happy. Wish I could live long enough to see it all grow up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 1:31 pm 

I love champ's story about the old guy summing up a neighbour with the words: "he may live here but he ain't from here." Some villages oughta put that on their highway signs: "You may live here, but you ain't from here." Hey, that's another candidate for a new licence plate motto!

Rural Saskatchewan has a real rep for hostility to outsiders (and it's not as cute as on "Corner Gas"). I don't know how true that is; I've never spent that much time in the province. But you seem to run into a lot of born-and-bred residents of that province who couldn't get out fast enough. Seriously, I don't think there's any other part of Canada that is so consistently slagged by its own sons and daughters. You sure hear "Saskatchewan sucks" much more often than "PEI sucks."

Toronto, of course, is pretty much universally loathed (hatred of TO is perhaps the great unifying force in the nation). Even people who seem happy there gripe about it. They say they've made a good life there "despite" the smoggy, sprawly city. Winnipeg and Manitoba in general are always getting dumped on by their inhabitants too.

One thing about PEI -- if you've ever been in a supermarket in central Canada and have seen those sad, tiny little bags of "PEI mussels," and seen what people there pay for them (which they seem glad to do), you'll have one more entry for the "PEI doesn't suck" column.

I would like to know if Ginneke can yodel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 2:12 pm 
Site Admin (volunteer)

Buddee wrote:
One thing about PEI -- if you've ever been in a supermarket in central Canada and have seen those sad, tiny little bags of "PEI mussels," and seen what people there pay for them (which they seem glad to do), you'll have one more entry for the "PEI doesn't suck" column.

True ... but countering that ... if you've ever been in a supermarket in central Canada and have seen those bags of PEI potatoes that cost less that they do in any Sobey's or Superstore on PEI and to boot, are of a superior quality ... you'll have one more entry in the "are Islanders suckers?" column. :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 4:38 pm 

Kreskin makes an excellent point about the PEI retail rip-off. Why do Islanders -- whose province is one big friggin' farm surrounded by an ocean full of seafood -- have to pay so much for food? Milk, beef (especially during the BSE crisis) and other foodstuffs are very overpriced.

And it's true that a tour of the same central Canadian supermarket (where I looked upon the expensive tiny mussels) might well lead one to add another item to the "sucks" column.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 8:24 pm 
Almost an Islander

No Buddee, I can't yodel, I only became Swiss because my husband was born there. Switzerland we were known as "les Canadiens", we had moved there from BC. Originally I was Belgian.

As for seafood being expensive - One day I looked at frozen scallops in the Co-op in Charlottetown - They were labeled "Product of China"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 11:18 pm 

Location: hmmm handle says from Souris, but in Ch-town........sounds like a toughie
at least we're honest enough to say where they came from. People I know from some fish plants were tellng me how they packaged lobsters in boxes that said "Maine USA lobsters"

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2005, 1:05 am 
Sourisboy in Ch-town wrote:
at least we're honest enough to say where they came from. People I know from some fish plants were tellng me how they packaged lobsters in boxes that said "Maine USA lobsters"

Your kidding me! :shock: :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2005, 3:40 am 
True Islander

Nope... sorry Lanc... it's done all the time... a lot of Canadian products are packaged as American, so that the American populace will purchase it... I know that it's done with potatoes as well....

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2005, 6:21 am 
Rikimae wrote:
Nope... sorry Lanc... it's done all the time... a lot of Canadian products are packaged as American, so that the American populace will purchase it... I know that it's done with potatoes as well....

I wonder what the US Government would say about this practice. I sure as hell would like to know with in reason where my food is packaged and grown!