Resend Activation Email

RSS Feed (New Posts)
RSS Feed (Replies)

Search
Lunch Specials

Lunch Saturday Steak Special at Fireman's Club for $5.75 [Remind Me]

Lunch Steak Special at Ch'town Curling Club for $10.00 [Remind Me]

All Day Special steak & fries at outriders for $5.49 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Jaeuck(Pork & Rice) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $9.87 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Hot Hamburger at Brits Fish and Chips for $9.95 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Chicken bokkeum at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $10.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special Dolsot Bibimbap at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $11.98 [Remind Me]

All Day Special GamJa-tang(Pork bone on the soup) at Seoul Food Restaurant(Cafe) for $12.89 [Remind Me]

Add your restaurant's special!
Follow @WhatsOnSpecial!
Island Weather [Customize]
Sponsor
Island Webcam [Customize]
Island Radio
  Listen to CBC 96.1 FM
Windows M. Player
Listen to Island Radio
Winamp
Listen to K-Rock
Windows M. Player
Listen to Ocean 100
Windows M. Player

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Moving To P.E.I.
PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 1:10 pm 
Newly Created Account

Hi folks,

I'm from P.E.I and think I would love to return to raise my family however I promise this is not your typical old "Moving To P.E.I." thread.

I found this forum to be an awesome resource for those trying to decide if P.E.I. is the right move for them so I've compiled a bunch of helpful threads on the topic.

Hopefully this list will help those considering a move to P.E.I. while making it a bit easier for the always warm and welcoming forum regulars here to respond to common "moving to P.E.I." questions.

Hope it helps,

Crystal

Considering Moving From Burlington Ontario:
Topics include employment, self employment, bugs, power outages and lots of discussion
regarding the benefits and pitfalls of living on P.E.I.

Excited About Moving To P.E.I. Asks About P.E.I. Winters/Weather
Topics include discussion of what Islanders do for entertainment, finding employment plus insights from people who have moved to P.E.I.

Moving To P.E.I. From Vancouver
Briefly discusses how to plan a cost-effective move.

Moving To P.E.I. And Looking For Feedback On MLS Properties
Tips offered on how to choose a home, negotiate a purchase and move from a distance.

Finding A J-O-B on P.E.I.
A thread from the middle of last year which discusses finding employment, Islanders flocking to the West for work and Googling your name prior to an interview :-)

Wants to Move 15-25 Minutes From Charlottetown
Advice on the area as well as a discussion on whether their are any IT jobs. For more info on P.E.I IT jobs
visit this thread: http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19336

Moving To Montague From Halifax
A discussion about the area and the overall character of Islanders.

Young, Single And Moving To The Island
The focus of this thread is on Island night life and entertainment as well as securing employment.

The Best Place To Live On P.E.I.
Family from Ireland initiates a discussion on the best places to live on P.E.I.

Moving To The Island...Suggestions
Access to healthcare or lack thereof, public transportation, daycare and undesirable areas to live on the Island are discussed.

Moving To P.E.I From Alberta
This thread starts out as a discussion on the cost of living in Charlottetown and takes a bit of a Charlottetown vs Summerside turn.

Also see the following related threads: Moving To P.E.I.: Discusses the areas Cornwall, Stratford & Charlottetown,
Nice Places To Live on The Island, Moving To Charlottetown: What Are The Good & Bad Areas and Pros & Cons Of Moving To Tignish

Moving From Montreal
How does one get around without a car? What are the winters like?

Many Questions About Moving To P.E.I.
Does P.E.I. have a high number of drug-related problems? What are the schools like? Are there serious flooding problems there?

Moving To Summerside *Busy Thread*
This thread is specific to Steve's situation but also offers good insight for other would-be movers.

Low Paying Jobs *Busy Thread*
The original poster wants to move to P.E.I. to take advantage of low housing prices but doesn't want to leave his high salary behind.

What Would You Change About The Island? *Very Busy Thread*
Have fun reading Islander's diverse opinions on a variety of topics.

Should We Move To P.E.I.? *Busy Thread*
Lively discussion spanning a variety of topics and opinions.

Other *Busy* Moving To PEI Threads

Busy Thread With Lots of Tips & Helpful Insights On Life In P.E.I.
New To The Boards
Emigrating To P.E.I. From UK
Another Busy Thread on Moving To The Island

Lively Thread on Moving To P.E.I. From Montreal
Lots of tips, info and discussion on a wide variety of P.E.I. lifestyle topics.

Relocating & Starting A Business On P.E.I.
Discussion on what kind of business to open.

Terrified Of Moving To P.E.I. From Toronto
Do Islanders really hate Torontonians? Is there any night life?

Question For Parents Moving To P.E.I. Regarding Kindergarten/Education System

Informative, helpful Government link for those interested in moving.

Accepted To Holland College, Moving From NB

Moving From Ontario Seeking Work In The Service Industry

Possible Move From The UK

Buying A House Tips &Referrals

Scary Thread Regarding P.E.I.'s Doctors/Healthcare System

A Teacher Considering Moving To P.E.I.

Another Thinking of Emigrating To P.E.I. From UK Thread

Where Is Everyone From Threads -

http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2878
http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=742

What are your school days like?

Taxes & Staying In Business On P.E.I.

Seeking Jobs & Apartments Prior To A Move

Bored Teenagers

Moving From Alberta To P.E.I. (Paella)

Paella, Leaving Thread

Why This American Loves PEI

Does P.E.I suck?

Moving To P.E.I. From Toronto

Moving To P.E.I. From Ontario

Thinking We Should We Move To P.E.I.

Condos on P.E.I.

Moving To P.E.I. Cost of Living Questions

Just Moved To P.E.I.
Updates on how it's been going for those who have recently made their home on the Island.

Leaving PEI

Time To Go...2008
Farewell and Goodbye

Please note:
**I have not verified and organized the links but may update the list as time allows.

Last edited by Crystal_ on October 17th, 2008, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Moving To P.E.I.
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2009, 3:37 pm 
Almost an Islander

A wonderful idea to make this a sticky post. Kudos to Crystal for putting this list together.

Welcome to PEI, everybody!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 24th, 2009, 12:44 am 

Thanks Crystal for posting all those links. I just spent an interesting time reading through them all. Granted there are some disgruntled people living in PEI who don't like it, but maybe they would feel the same way no matter where they lived. The majority of Islanders do like living here and most of us love it. What I would like to see is a Feedback Forum or Thread for those who did make the move to PEI and their comments. Would they recommend it to others, pros and cons, etc.

It certainly seems that we need some kind of a welcoming committee to help newcomers ease their way into Island life. I know my sister moved back to PEI from Ontario, after being away for nearly 35 years. Although she goes back to visit her family up there, she would never leave PEI again.

IMO a lot of viewpoints result because of our individual perspective on how we view things, life in general, etc. If we are positive and outgoing people adjusting to a new life anywhere will be much easier. If you move because you hate your life, then maybe you will bring those same hatreds with you.

You can't compare apples to oranges and PEI is such a unique place as compared to other cities outside of the Maritimes. Communication and transportation is an area where we are still working on improving. Our bus system is adding new passengers daily and I must have seen eight different busses in different areas of Charlottetown today.

So what do you think newcomers, would you be willing to provide honest feedback to a thread and let us know what you like/dislike and what improvements you would like to see. I think it would be very interesting reading and informative to any others out there contemplating a move to PEI.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2009, 5:49 pm 

So what do you think newcomers, would you be willing to provide honest feedback to a thread and let us know what you like/dislike and what improvements you would like to see. I think it would be very interesting reading and informative to any others out there contemplating a move to PEI.[/color]

I agree! I'd love to hear feedback from newcomers. I hear when they can't wait to arrive, get to PEI but I'd like to know how it worked out. Did they regret it? What irked them if they do? As someone who has pondered making a move to PEI for a year, I'd love to know. It's certainly important to me, I'm on the west coast and if I decide to do it, uproot my life and move almost 6000 km, it better be a good decision. I haven't seen much feedback on their opinion once they're there. One good thing is I haven't read where someone absolutely hated it and wanted to go back home. Thanks for your input Crystal & geniebot, it was helpful!

PostPosted: October 28th, 2009, 7:59 am 
Almost an Islander

I have been here now for just over 7 years (from So. Cal) and I have to say no matter where you live, your home is where your heart is.

you get out of it what you put into it. im at a point in my life here now that i see the good and the bad. it really is the same $hit different place kinda thing that happens in every place.

that being said....I wouldnt move back to Los Angeles area if you paid me. yes i miss SOME things...but i really do love living here in PEI.

I love it so much that I have my citizenship test in 2 weeks....WOOHOO!

Complaining is good for you as long as you're not complaining to the person you're complaining about.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2009, 10:34 am 

Good luck on the test-- just found out a neat thing for me-- eligible for citizenship in just over a year-- they now no longer require test when you hit 55-- and that's right where I'll be. Not that I was worried about the test anyway but hey-- I'll be quite thrilled to pass that and go directly to the ceremony! And yeh-- see the bad and the good anywhere-- but I can tell you that while we still spend some time south of the border, it's always a sigh of relief to get back across the bridge.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2009, 2:47 pm 

You guys better be careful admitting your not Canadian yet!!

Islanders usually wont even listen to people from the mainland :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2009, 3:12 pm 

You get used to it... :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 28th, 2009, 5:20 pm 
True Islander

Yesitsme wrote:
You guys better be careful admitting your not Canadian yet!!

Islanders usually wont even listen to people from the mainland :)

ya but it is good for the gene pool....

PostPosted: October 29th, 2009, 7:55 am 
Almost an Islander

cramsay wrote:
You get used to it... :D

yep :roll:

Complaining is good for you as long as you're not complaining to the person you're complaining about.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2009, 8:00 am 
Almost an Islander

cramsay wrote:
Good luck on the test-- just found out a neat thing for me-- eligible for citizenship in just over a year-- they now no longer require test when you hit 55-- and that's right where I'll be. Not that I was worried about the test anyway but hey-- I'll be quite thrilled to pass that and go directly to the ceremony! And yeh-- see the bad and the good anywhere-- but I can tell you that while we still spend some time south of the border, it's always a sigh of relief to get back across the bridge.

you are so lucky. i know the test is only 20 questions and only takes 30 minutes....but...omg....it still is stressful. so far with all the pre-test stuff i have looked at...i have done well.

i have the same feeling when coming back over the border and saying that im from PEI. one time they didnt even ask for ID...i was so disappointed that i didnt get to show my US passport and Canadian Res. card. im so proud to have that. cant wait to get my own canadian passport.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2009, 8:28 am 

When I was crossing NB last week to run down across the border, they were stopping all cars on the highway just short of the border at Woodstock. Dogs, helicopter, plainclothes guys, the whole deal. Apparently looking for a US drug runner or something. Pulled me aside, guy saw the license plate and Can flag sticker on windshield-- waved me through and heard him on the radio say to the next guy up-- "never mind, he's one of us..." don't care what anyone says-- I did enjoy that moment.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: October 29th, 2009, 3:10 pm 

cramsay wrote:
When I was crossing NB last week to run down across the border, they were stopping all cars on the highway just short of the border at Woodstock. Dogs, helicopter, plainclothes guys, the whole deal. Apparently looking for a US drug runner or something. Pulled me aside, guy saw the license plate and Can flag sticker on windshield-- waved me through and heard him on the radio say to the next guy up-- "never mind, he's one of us..." don't care what anyone says-- I did enjoy that moment.

that's awesome !

PostPosted: October 29th, 2009, 3:15 pm 

Kinky Angellove wrote:
cramsay wrote:

you are so lucky. i know the test is only 20 questions and only takes 30 minutes....but...omg....it still is stressful. so far with all the pre-test stuff i have looked at...i have done well.

i have the same feeling when coming back over the border and saying that im from PEI. one time they didnt even ask for ID...i was so disappointed that i didnt get to show my US passport and Canadian Res. card. im so proud to have that. cant wait to get my own canadian passport.

wishing you luck I'm sure you will do great ...

that reminds me of moving from Ohio to North Carolina and we all had to take the drivers written test (in most states you just turn in your old states license and get the new one)
well the people who had move down from New York had started taking it first and people were failing the dang thing .... people who had driven for 20+ years ... freaked us all out ...

PostPosted: November 9th, 2009, 4:19 pm 
From Away

Don't forget to add that it's the only place in Canada where you can Sunday shop between Jan 1 and May 24th. For those who are considering a move to the little island, that's right you can't even buy groceries on Sundays!

PostPosted: November 9th, 2009, 5:15 pm 
True Islander

con771 wrote:
Don't forget to add that it's the only place in Canada where you can Sunday shop between Jan 1 and May 24th. For those who are considering a move to the little island, that's right you can't even buy groceries on Sundays!
not really true...all the grocerie stores are open on sunday up west, is it not the same in charlottetown????

PostPosted: November 9th, 2009, 6:36 pm 
Almost an Islander

Actually, the Save Easy in Kensington is also open on Sundays. I was at the Superstore on Sunday and it was so busy, I can't believe they don't cause a fuss about not being open during the winter. They sure do a booming business on Sundays the rest of the year.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2009, 11:28 pm 
True Islander

Kerry wrote:
Actually, the Save Easy in Kensington is also open on Sundays. I was at the Superstore on Sunday and it was so busy, I can't believe they don't cause a fuss about not being open during the winter. They sure do a booming business on Sundays the rest of the year.
they are open yr around on sunday.....whats with everyone thinking they are not????

PostPosted: November 10th, 2009, 10:12 pm 

Thanks for all the info!

Our little family is quite excited to move to the Island!

My dad was born in PEI (militaryfamily), and I lived in Nove Scotia for 5yrs as a young girl, my Grandparents lived in NB so we spent all our summers playing in the ocean... so finally moving East feels like home to me, and my husband fell in love the first time we vacationed there 5years ago :D !

We are living in Northern Ontario right now and winter has just started... so we are hoping PEI winters wont scare us too much, and if they do too bad we will adapt!

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Jessica

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: November 11th, 2009, 8:31 am 
Almost an Islander

Jessica, I really don't think you will notice too much difference in the winters here. The real difference is the wind, whatever snow is here is blown around and makes a mess, but Northern Ontario is a good approximation of the winters here. And the summers and falls here are glorious.
But the best part of PEI is the people, they are the best!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next